Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:20 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,899 times

Advertisements

if given 2 choices, which is harder to do?

workout 50 mins everyday and go through the pain of working out,

or eating healthy, and not eating what you want to eat (think pizza, burgers, soda, fries, fried chicken, donuts, juicy meats, etc)

there has to be a balance and its so hard for me to choose. i would love to eat what i want to eat but if i do so all of the hard work through exercise is wiped out. if i eat healthy and dont exercise, i feel like im depriving myself, and its so hard for me to hit a gym and get on a treadmill. my solution for the past month has been eating good, and walking, so far i have lost 15 pounds, and the temptation gets pretty bad some days but i still take it over going to a gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 01:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Eating healthy would be the easiest, especially in the long run. But for a lot of people exercise is something like a second nature to them and they can eat what they want (but when they start to get physically less active because of age or injury they tend to get fat in no time because their diet is not meant for inactivity). So I'd say if you want to enjoy being healthy in the long run adapt your diet. You don't even necessarily need to eat less, it's just that you're easier satisfied and don't even want to eat more on a good diet

Old 05-30-2014, 01:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post

or eating healthy, and not eating what you want to eat (think pizza, burgers, soda, fries, fried chicken, donuts, juicy meats, etc)

there has to be a balance and its so hard for me to choose. i would love to eat what i want to eat but if i do so all of the hard work through exercise is wiped out. if i eat healthy and dont exercise, i feel like im depriving myself, and its so hard for me to hit a gym and get on a treadmill. my solution for the past month has been eating good, and walking, so far i have lost 15 pounds, and the temptation gets pretty bad some days but i still take it over going to a gym.

You can eat anything you want you just have to account for it in your daily intake of calories, carbs, starches, sugars etc. Personally I would never excercise 50 minutes per day, 20 minutes a day on the treadmill or outside for a 20 minute walk.

Then the clothing you currently own will become "loose" as you "lose" weight.

(loose and lose are two completely different words that have two completely different definitions and they are not interchangeable).

Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 AM

231 posts, read 264,582 times
Exercising is not easy. But for me, days that I exercise, I authomatically eat less. and i'm just so much more energetic and happier when I exercise.

So for me, exercising wins. and I love food. so I get to eat whatever I like (just smaller portions). Win Win situation

Old 05-30-2014, 02:34 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I just tell myself that food is not the determining factor in my happiness - that is one of the ways I stay slender. The other key for staying slim for me is a combination of daily exercise and healthy foods (I eat lots of food just not the kind that puts weight on).

You say you feel deprived if you don't get to eat what you want - that is the attitude that you need to change. Instead of telling yourself you feel deprived, learn to love a more slender you, having more energy, looking better in your clothing, feeling more confident. As long as you equate eating sensible, moderate amounts of healthy food with being deprived, you will struggle with your weight.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:43 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
moving around for 50 minutes a day will not save you if your wolfing down pizza, soda, donuts, etc. It will limit the damage you do, that's all.

It is way easier to limit caloric intake. It's also easier to maintain, I don't know about you but I've never worked out every day unless I was being forced to (like when I was in high school and playing sports, for instance).

Think about it. A couple of 12 oz sodas are the same amount of energy that your likely to burn in 50 minutes of exercise. Just cut the sodas out, that is obviously much easier to do.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
moving around for 50 minutes a day will not save you if your wolfing down pizza, soda, donuts, etc. It will limit the damage you do, that's all.

It is way easier to limit caloric intake. It's also easier to maintain, I don't know about you but I've never worked out every day unless I was being forced to (like when I was in high school and playing sports, for instance).

Think about it. A couple of 12 oz sodas are the same amount of energy that your likely to burn in 50 minutes of exercise. Just cut the sodas out, that is obviously much easier to do.
I agree with this. It is way easier to cut out 200 calories from your diet than it is to burn 200 calories through exercise.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree with this. It is way easier to cut out 200 calories from your diet than it is to burn 200 calories through exercise.

but the soda taste so good and you only have 1 life.. so tasty.. lol just kidding but yes being on a treadmill for 50 mins is much worse than 2 minutes of joy woofing down 2 sodas.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post

It shouldn't be a choice. You shouldn't be picking one over the other. You should be doing both. A healthy menu for weight loss, maintenance, and good health - and exercise for weight loss, maintenance, and good health.

You can eat healthIER...and exercise SOME, and you'll be in better shape than you are now. You'd also be in better shape than if you ONLY ate well and didn't exercise at all, or if you ONLY exercised and ate like crap.

Eat and exercise for your HEALTH and the weight will fall off naturally.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Eating healthy would be the easiest, especially in the long run. But for a lot of people exercise is something like a second nature to them and they can eat what they want (but when they start to get physically less active because of age or injury they tend to get fat in no time because their diet is not meant for inactivity). So I'd say if you want to enjoy being healthy in the long run adapt your diet. You don't even necessarily need to eat less, it's just that you're easier satisfied and don't even want to eat more on a good diet
^ This right here is the story of my life! I'm currently in the process of reducing how much I eat. The hope being that with smaller portions and moderate exercise, I can slowly reverse the trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss