Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:07 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet, made famous by the European version of Dr. Oz, a TV show host named Dr. Mosley. But even Mosley's idea of an intermittent fast included 600 calories on the "fasting" day, which were recommended to be consumed at breakfast time. Studies indicated that it -can- work, with limitations, and only for a limited period of time, and isn't intended to be done long term. So people who go off it, are likely to gain it all back anyway. They're not learning how to eat properly - because 5 days a week they have no limits at all to what or how much they're allowed to eat.

It is the replacement to the Dukan Diet, which is basically a partial fasting diet where for the first few days up to a week, you're only allowed to eat any of 68 different specific types of meat, and a little oat bran, and nothing else.

Then after that, you can add in the rest of the 100 "allowed" foods, and your exercise is 30 minutes of walking, and you do this until you reach your "true" weight.

It's a lot more convoluted than that, but it wouldn't be a fad diet if it wasn't ridiculous and convoluted. It seems the more likely people are to go OFF the diet and gain all the weight back, the more popular the diet is. Maybe that's because it gives them an excuse to go off the diet.
Fasting does not mean you get to eat whatever you want, in whatever quantity you want. That's what the money chasing authors/tv personalities say so people will buy their books. If you over eat during your feeding window you won't lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,690,264 times
I think this is pretty intriguing and have been following Dr. Longo's research for quite awhile. The 2-4 day fast that they advocate is basically like a vacation for your immune system, it encourages it to dump all the worn down or dying white blood cells and replace with them with brand spanking new, freshly minted, straight off the farm super macho ones. This is very exciting although still tentative, larger scale human studies are on deck but Dr Longo's experience in dealing with cancer patients utilizing fasting to help ward off the effects of chemo have been very fascinating. This is definitely something worth keeping an eye on.

If a 2-4 day fast every 3 or 4 months of the year promised a more robust immune system and better long-term heath, I think that is something which would appeal to a lot of people.

Quote:
Longo explains that humans can safely do this diet every 1 to 3 months.
The study found that “during each cycle of fasting, this depletion of white blood cells induces changes that trigger stem cell-based regeneration of new immune system cells.” In particular, “prolonged fasting reduced the enzyme PKA,” explains the USC announcement.

5:2 diet style an 'immune booster,' study finds - National Library of Medicine - PubMed Health

Fasting Might Regenerate Human Immune System - The Daily Beast

Old 07-03-2014, 04:21 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,160,131 times
I personally like a 24 hour juice fast. I just started doing that again. It is like a "mini-charge for your system. As it is, I already have a fantastic immune system according to my doctors. But it is nice to give the body a break once in awhile. I think up to 3 day fast is safe. You don't really go into catabolism unless you fast for longer. Key is keep hydrated.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Fasting does not mean you get to eat whatever you want, in whatever quantity you want. That's what the money chasing authors/tv personalities say so people will buy their books. If you over eat during your feeding window you won't lose weight.
This is true but I've been doing IF for several months now and I've found that I tend to eat less food at my main meal and make wiser and more thoughtful choices in what I do eat. And the best part is that veggies taste better!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 PM

515 posts, read 1,005,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
This is true but I've been doing IF for several months now and I've found that I tend to eat less food at my main meal and make wiser and more thoughtful choices in what I do eat. And the best part is that veggies taste better!
I think the best thing about IF is you learn what hunger really is as opposed to "feeling" like you're supposed to eat.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:55 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,689 times
Quote:
me too, I don't want to throw away all those hours of fasting so I end up being careful about what I do eat.

It's kind of like making sure you hold your serve in tennis after breaking your opponent. If you don't hold your serve then all the work you just put in is for nought.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 PM

78,454 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Spaz, maybe you will like this link better: Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system -- ScienceDaily

Or a list of research papers by Dr. Longo: valter longo - PubMed - NCBI
There are 75 of them.
1. Best of luck with your illness.

2. Thank you very much for documenting these. Too often the people that post of various holistic and alternative medicines are so out there that they make wild unsubstantiated claims about cures as well as how mainstream medicine is bad blah blah blah.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. Best of luck with your illness.

2. Thank you very much for documenting these. Too often the people that post of various holistic and alternative medicines are so out there that they make wild unsubstantiated claims about cures as well as how mainstream medicine is bad blah blah blah.
Well there are plenty of studies out there on alternative methods of healing as well as conventional, but alt will never be as well represented due to the "follow the money" factor. One alt method that is very well documented though is calorie restriction--it's been proven to be the biggest factor that will add years to your life and fasting is the easiest way to do CR. Fasting is not new and it's not a fad--people have been doing it as long as there've been humans. It's not always been voluntary and has often been done for religious reasons, but still we've been doing it.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:40 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,570,207 times
Looked this thread up, as I've begun a rare 2-day fast for myself. I'm already pretty fit, so it's not for that, but for a film role I'm in, and I wanted to fast and become a bit more gaunt in the face just prior to filming.

Dude, I'm hungry. Any tips for an otherwise very healthy person to contend with the psychological effects of hunger?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:30 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Looked this thread up, as I've begun a rare 2-day fast for myself. I'm already pretty fit, so it's not for that, but for a film role I'm in, and I wanted to fast and become a bit more gaunt in the face just prior to filming.

Dude, I'm hungry. Any tips for an otherwise very healthy person to contend with the psychological effects of hunger?
Think of your Oscar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss