Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
let's face it, whether you are trying to lose weight or maintain your weight it is still the total number of calories you put in your system that will determine how much you can lose or how easy it will be to maintain your weight. Trying to cut out bread altogether can deprive people of something they really need and enjoy; that is where diets fail too often.

I happen to believe the best way to lose weight along with exercise is a low carb diet, but that doesn't mean no carbs, including no bread. So bring on the rye for me, and whatever kind suits you, but just keep in down to as little as possible.
I totally agree. This has been my mantra and key to successful weight loss maintenance. If you are eliminating foods you normally enjoy you will fail at some point.
I do not eat a lot of bread, but If I go out to dinner I may indulge in a slice dipped into some olive oil. I will also enjoy a glass of wine or two. I may, of the horror, have a bite or two of a sugar laden desert. Do I do this a lot? Hardly. But to have the option open to me is the key to my ongoing success at maintaining my weight.
I do not want to eat a meal full of fat, or mostly protein. That to me is really unappealing. I like balanced meals and making smart choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM

283 posts, read 385,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
let's face it, whether you are trying to lose weight or maintain your weight it is still the total number of calories you put in your system that will determine how much you can lose or how easy it will be to maintain your weight. Trying to cut out bread altogether can deprive people of something they really need and enjoy; that is where diets fail too often.

I happen to believe the best way to lose weight along with exercise is a low carb diet, but that doesn't mean no carbs, including no bread. So bring on the rye for me, and whatever kind suits you, but just keep in down to as little as possible.
That's right. I enjoy one slice of butter filled sprouted rye or Ezekiel every day. In fact, sometimes I will add another butter spread Wasa ryecrisp cracker or slice of bread as an evening snack. The GI is much lower than standard bread.

More butter, less bread is the key.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:26 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Regarding your disagreeing: Do you mean that the calories are different nutritionally? Or how they fill you up? Because IMHO, you can eat McDonald's and lose weight. I am in the calories in, calories out camp...
Lets put it this way: Which do you think is healthier for you, a 1900 calorie Double Quarter Pounder w/cheese meal, or 1900 calories of grilled fish, spinach, quinoa, kidney beans, broccoli and unsweetened almond milk? Which is healthier? You need to check out of that "calories in, calories out" camp because its also known as "fat camp". Just like I tell all of my students and clients - its not about losing weight, its about IMPROVING YOUR HEALTH AND FITNESS!!! There is a HUGE difference in mindset between just "losing weight" and "improving health/fitness". So many people do crazy stupid things (HCG shots/diet, fasting, etc.) to lose weight because they only care about the scale instead of their health. Its short term, and does NOTHING to improve their fitness/health. They spout off at the mouth of "Oh, look at me, Im down 7 pounds!" when in reality, they are just down water weight and have ZERO health improvement. The weight is sure to come back on because they aren't focusing on what is important - HEALTH!!

Quote:
I do not believe that you should go around telling people to eliminate any one item out of their diet, if that is what they enjoy. This is going to be a LIFETIME thing, we're talking 40+ years. You're telling me I can't ever have bread and sugar again??? Why don't you just lock me up and throw away the key while you're at it??? It's called moderation.....learning to eat in a way you can sustain and be at the weight you desire. ...
That's fine you don't believe it, but I have a very good success rate for not only myself, but also for my clients/students that follow my advice on this. I tell them to eliminate soda, candy, sugars, etc. if they have any hope of being successful in their weight loss/fitness journey. Just like another CD poster said to you in the "Sloooooooow weight loss" thread you started on weight loss a few days ago - https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...ight-loss.html - the moderation comes into play when you have reached your goal, not when you are trying to get there. Otherwise you ruin your efforts. When good, healthy habits are formed, and you are at your goal weight/fitness level, then you can have an occasional Oreo or slice of wedding cake.

Bread (and other sugars) should be eliminated if possible if you really need to lose weight. Have a slice of whole grain if you must, but nix the bread really if you want to lose weight.

Quote:
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a little chocolate cake for breakfast....Nummm....and record my weight loss for today, down 7 pounds in one month....
Awesome. What a great way to go about developing heart healthy, good habits for someone who says they need to lose weight. Look forward to additional posts from you six months, a year, two years from now asking for advice on how to lose weight or deal with diabetes and heart disease.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 AM

283 posts, read 385,751 times
The organic homemade chocolate cake and soda or fruit juice will get you much closer to the grave than a Big Mac and fries ever will.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:57 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
Quote:

Awesome. What a great way to go about developing heart healthy, good habits for someone who says they need to lose weight. Look forward to additional posts from you six months, a year, two years from now asking for advice on how to lose weight or deal with diabetes and heart disease.
OK yeah I'll let you know when I develop diabetes and/or heart disease after age 46 because I refuse to deprive myself of the bread, occasional piece of cake, or cookie.... You have fun with your exaggerating and superiority complex.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
OK yeah I'll let you know when I develop diabetes and/or heart disease after age 46 because I refuse to deprive myself of the bread, occasional piece of cake, or cookie.... You have fun with your exaggerating and superiority complex.
Cool.

Why is it deprivation to you? Why not choose healthy options instead of sticking with the same that contributed to your obesity in the first place? I guarantee you, when you switch your thinking from the "oh I feel so deprived if I don't eat cake/bread/sugar" and instead go with "I am fueling my body for better health, for better fitness, to lose weight, and to look/feel great".

You do this you will succeed. Keep eating your breads and your "chocolate cake for breakfast" your chances to achieve your desired goal/weight/fitness level are GREATLY reduced. Seriously, nix the chocolate cake for breakfast if you need to lose weight. That is why your weight loss is "slooooooooow going" (as you said in the weight loss thread you started).

Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Cool.

Why is it deprivation to you? Why not choose healthy options instead of sticking with the same that contributed to your obesity in the first place? I guarantee you, when you switch your thinking from the "oh I feel so deprived if I don't eat cake/bread/sugar" and instead go with "I am fueling my body for better health, for better fitness, to lose weight, and to look/feel great".

You do this you will succeed. Keep eating your breads and your "chocolate cake for breakfast" your chances to achieve your desired goal/weight/fitness level are GREATLY reduced. Seriously, nix the chocolate cake for breakfast if you need to lose weight. That is why your weight loss is "slooooooooow going" (as you said in the weight loss thread you started).
OK Kings. I know you are genuine in your contributions here, so thank you. Fueling your body for better health, fitness, etc. is indeed a great idea, especially as you age.

All I'm going to say to this is what I have said about C-D before: FFS, why do people take one statement and stretch it and twist it and turn it and spin it to mean something completely else????

I said I was having some chocolate cake yesterday morning. That does not mean I have it for breakfast EVERY DAY. Gahhhhh you guys make me want to pull my hair out!!

And P.S. Since I posted about the slow weight loss, 3 pounds have come off. The advice I received from someone on another weight loss board to get moving has totally helped.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:59 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Quote:
Its short term, and does NOTHING to improve their fitness/health. They spout off at the mouth of "Oh, look at me, Im down 7 pounds!" when in reality, they are just down water weight and have ZERO health improvement. The weight is sure to come back on because they aren't focusing on what is important - HEALTH!!

Quote:
........ and instead go with "I am fueling my body for better health, for better fitness, to lose weight, and to look/feel great".
^^^^You make some good points.
But, many cultures have diets that include bread, rice and other carbs
(corn). However, you assume that everyone who is overweight is that way because of their bad
eating habits and all too often are hideous to the eye. Medications, thyroid disease (on the rise
for 20 years), diabetes (including juvenile) age and genetics can lead or cause weight gain = behavior is not always the culprit.

Here's a link about a 5,300 year old Iceman who had atherosclerosis.
He ate nuts & berries, was a tiny man, obviously walked to hunt and gather and should have
been one healthy son-of-a-gun. The autopsy showed he was genetically predisposed to heart disease,
which appears to be more common than we thought. I hope he enjoyed a piece of bread now and then.

Oetzi the Iceman Had Heart Disease Gene : Discovery News

Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^^You make some good points.
But, many cultures have diets that include bread, rice and other carbs
(corn).
This isn't about a person's "culture". My individual health/fitness trumps the food traditionally eating by my "culture" and this is how it should be for anyone needing to lose weight. An adult who is capable of preparing their own food its just stupid to use "This is how we eat in our culture so I cannot lose weight because of this" as an excuse for not being able to progress towards their weight loss/fitness goals.

Quote:
However, you assume that everyone who is overweight is that way because of their bad
eating habits and all too often are hideous to the eye. Medications, thyroid disease (on the rise
for 20 years), diabetes (including juvenile) age and genetics can lead or cause weight gain = behavior is not always the culprit.
Unless a person otherwise specifically says "I have challenges losing weight due to my battle with thyroid disease....." then YES, in discussions of weight loss one should assume that there are no medical issues involved. The overwhelming majority of people who are overweight ARE IN FACT overweight due to their poor eating/nutritional habits. That is a FACT. There is only a SMALL number of obese people who are actually obese due to medical issues. A SMALL NUMBER!!! People are fat because they eat crap and they refuse to stop eating crap. Its why when presented with factual data from informed people that they should NOT eat certain foods, they get all upset and claim that "Oh I don't want to deprive myself" b.s.

Quote:
Here's a link about a 5,300 year old Iceman who had atherosclerosis.
He ate nuts & berries, was a tiny man, obviously walked to hunt and gather and should have
been one healthy son-of-a-gun. The autopsy showed he was genetically predisposed to heart disease,
which appears to be more common than we thought. I hope he enjoyed a piece of bread now and then.
What one dude ate 5000 years ago is irrelevant.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:59 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Quote:
This isn't about a person's "culture". My individual health/fitness trumps the food traditionally eating by my "culture" and this is how it should be for anyone needing to lose weight. An adult who is capable of preparing their own food its just stupid to use "This is how we eat in our culture so I cannot lose weight because of this" as an excuse for not being able to progress towards their weight loss/fitness goals.
Unless a person otherwise specifically says "I have challenges losing weight due to my battle with thyroid disease....." then YES, in discussions of weight loss one should assume that there are no medical issues involved. The overwhelming majority of people who are overweight ARE IN FACT overweight due to their poor eating/nutritional habits. That is a FACT. There is only a SMALL number of obese people who are actually obese due to medical issues. A SMALL NUMBER!!! People are fat because they eat crap and they refuse to stop eating crap. Its why when presented with factual data from informed people that they should NOT eat certain foods, they get all upset and claim that "Oh I don't want to deprive myself" b.s.

What one dude ate 5000 years ago is irrelevant.
Genetics has a lot to do with it. Asians eat rice (CARB) is just one example. But more importantly,
you are generalizing and making quick accusations that every over weight person is eating junk or
crap (as you describe it which includes some bread). How do you know who has a disease or
someone who is ill? If they are ill or have health issues should they wear a badge, patch or label
to avoid someone's visual contempt for not meeting your expectations?
I gave several reasons why some (not all) people have trouble losing weight.
Did you even read the link? It is relevant because it is science. Here is more factual data.

General Information/Press Room | American Thyroid Association

Experts explain how certain prescription drugs can cause unwanted weight gain

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 08-27-2014 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss