Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 PM

76 posts, read 102,511 times

Advertisements

Here is my weight loss story and what has helped me. Maybe it'll help some of you guys out. And no, I don't work for Curves, they have just helped me a lot.

On Christmas Day 2012, I stepped on a scale. 279 pounds. I'm 5'11 but to say I had a beer belly is an understatement. I had tried to drop weight before, and after awhile I'd get frustrated and quit. So I made a vow that I'm (literally) going to work my ass off.

I started looking around at the gyms in my area. I have a friend who dropped 100 pounds a few years ago, and she suggested I try Curves. So I went there to check it out. They put me on their diet and hooked me up with a coach who I'd meet with once a week too discuss how well I did in the previous week with food and exercise. They also said I should aim to do one hour of walking a day, drink tons of water, and come in 3-4 times a week. They said I should aim for 172 pounds.

By July of 2013 I had dropped about 30 pounds. Then my friend died and I gained a lot of it back with the stress. I didn't want to even leave my couch unless it was to walk across the street to the convenience store to satisfy my sugar cravings (I've told my husband that he can have junk food in the house if he wants but he's gotta hide it somewhere good - so far I haven't seen where he puts it but I have seen empty bags of chips in the garbage). But I got back on track. Today, the scale said 202 pounds.

So here's how I did it. First of all, it helped a lot that Curves does circuit training (you spend 30 seconds on a machine, then 30 seconds doing whatever aerobic exercise is on the tape they're playing, then move to the next machine - you do this for about 45 minutes). So you work out your whole body, instead of just running on a treadmill. I got my daily hour of walking by walking my dog (had one when I started, now I have two - they are a great source of exercise if you need it!).

Food and drinks wise, I started drinking tons and tons of water. Sometimes when you feel hungry, you're actually thirsty. Water keeps you full and it makes you pee more, so you're losing calories there. I followed the Curves diet the best I could, though I did occasionally give in to temptation (I know I'll go nuts without the occasional chocolate bar or ice cream). When I did give into temptation, I watched my portions, ie I'd eat half a candy bar instead of a full one, or just have one scoop of ice cream instead of two. Actually, I started watching my portions with everything I eat - it's easier to burn calories off of smaller meals than larger ones (though I do need a snack or two during the day, but I usually stick to fruits and veggies for that). I started cooking at home more - who knows what they put in the food at fast food places? Most meals I have a side of veggies. I also know that while most people have a sweet tooth, I have an entire mouth full of those, so I stick to fruit when I get the sugar cravings.

Also, don't get discouraged if it takes awhile to lose your weight or if you have a setback. I had a huge setback when my friend died and nearly un did all the progress I made, but I got back on track. It's taken me over a year and a half to get to 80 pounds (well, 77 according to today's weigh in) and I still have 30 more to go, but I know I'll get there. Clearly what I'm doing is working out well for me.

Another thing that helps is by saying "If I lose X number of pounds, as a reward I'll go get my nails done" or something like that. It gives you extra motivation, which you'll need sometimes when you're trying to drop weight.

Anyways, hope this helps someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:01 PM

FYI, when I said "tons of water" I meant tons in comparison to what I used to drink. I usually have about 3 bottles (regular sized ones) every day, which is good for my height and weight. I used to drink much less (and much more caffeine unfortunately). There is such a thing as overdoing it.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:35 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,423,386 times
Congratulations

Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 PM

Thank you!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:46 PM

934 posts, read 1,129,970 times
Good for you! I decided mid June to lose weight. I started at 217 and have lost 14 pound and am down to 203. It's a bit discouraging, simply because I find that when I diet, I think about food obsessively. Trying to plan, buy and prepare healthy weight loss meals, when before I could just eat mindlessly. All the thinking about food is exhausting.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Good for you! I decided mid June to lose weight. I started at 217 and have lost 14 pound and am down to 203. It's a bit discouraging, simply because I find that when I diet, I think about food obsessively. Trying to plan, buy and prepare healthy weight loss meals, when before I could just eat mindlessly. All the thinking about food is exhausting.

If you are still calling your meals a "diet" then you are not moving toward a lifestyle change that will last the rest of your lifetime.
Until you can get the word diet out of your vocabulary and out of that mindset you may find it very difficult to continue on.
You should not exhaust yourself thinking about food, it should become second nature to grab and apple instead of a piece of pie more often than not.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 AM

Brynach, I get a lot of temptation too. So I don't keep junk food at home (unless you count the stuff hubby hides from me). If I'm craving chocolate and still have the craving a couple of hours later, I'll walk to the convenience store and get something. But a lot of the time now, something healthier will satisfy my craving.

And try not to get discouraged either. Fourteen pounds is still progress and it's possible to get back on track. I do sometimes have trouble meal planning, but having healthy food around the house does give you more options.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuitarGoddess View Post
Here is my weight loss story and what has helped me. Maybe it'll help some of you guys out. And no, I don't work for Curves, they have just helped me a lot.

On Christmas Day 2012, I stepped on a scale. 279 pounds. I'm 5'11 but to say I had a beer belly is an understatement. I had tried to drop weight before, and after awhile I'd get frustrated and quit. So I made a vow that I'm (literally) going to work my ass off.

I started looking around at the gyms in my area. I have a friend who dropped 100 pounds a few years ago, and she suggested I try Curves. So I went there to check it out. They put me on their diet and hooked me up with a coach who I'd meet with once a week too discuss how well I did in the previous week with food and exercise. They also said I should aim to do one hour of walking a day, drink tons of water, and come in 3-4 times a week. They said I should aim for 172 pounds.

By July of 2013 I had dropped about 30 pounds. Then my friend died and I gained a lot of it back with the stress. I didn't want to even leave my couch unless it was to walk across the street to the convenience store to satisfy my sugar cravings (I've told my husband that he can have junk food in the house if he wants but he's gotta hide it somewhere good - so far I haven't seen where he puts it but I have seen empty bags of chips in the garbage). But I got back on track. Today, the scale said 202 pounds.

So here's how I did it. First of all, it helped a lot that Curves does circuit training (you spend 30 seconds on a machine, then 30 seconds doing whatever aerobic exercise is on the tape they're playing, then move to the next machine - you do this for about 45 minutes). So you work out your whole body, instead of just running on a treadmill. I got my daily hour of walking by walking my dog (had one when I started, now I have two - they are a great source of exercise if you need it!).

Food and drinks wise, I started drinking tons and tons of water. Sometimes when you feel hungry, you're actually thirsty. Water keeps you full and it makes you pee more, so you're losing calories there. I followed the Curves diet the best I could, though I did occasionally give in to temptation (I know I'll go nuts without the occasional chocolate bar or ice cream). When I did give into temptation, I watched my portions, ie I'd eat half a candy bar instead of a full one, or just have one scoop of ice cream instead of two. Actually, I started watching my portions with everything I eat - it's easier to burn calories off of smaller meals than larger ones (though I do need a snack or two during the day, but I usually stick to fruits and veggies for that). I started cooking at home more - who knows what they put in the food at fast food places? Most meals I have a side of veggies. I also know that while most people have a sweet tooth, I have an entire mouth full of those, so I stick to fruit when I get the sugar cravings.

Also, don't get discouraged if it takes awhile to lose your weight or if you have a setback. I had a huge setback when my friend died and nearly un did all the progress I made, but I got back on track. It's taken me over a year and a half to get to 80 pounds (well, 77 according to today's weigh in) and I still have 30 more to go, but I know I'll get there. Clearly what I'm doing is working out well for me.

Another thing that helps is by saying "If I lose X number of pounds, as a reward I'll go get my nails done" or something like that. It gives you extra motivation, which you'll need sometimes when you're trying to drop weight.

Anyways, hope this helps someone.
Congratulations! And thanks for sharing your story.

I need to lose about 20 lbs that I gained four years ago when I moved, sight unseen, for a new and stressful job and with my (then) teen-age son.

I workout like mad but . . .still eat when I'm stressed.

Your story is very inspiring!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you are still calling your meals a "diet" then you are not moving toward a lifestyle change that will last the rest of your lifetime.
Until you can get the word diet out of your vocabulary and out of that mindset you may find it very difficult to continue on.
You should not exhaust yourself thinking about food, it should become second nature to grab and apple instead of a piece of pie more often than not.
You'd think!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuitarGoddess View Post
Brynach, I get a lot of temptation too. So I don't keep junk food at home (unless you count the stuff hubby hides from me). If I'm craving chocolate and still have the craving a couple of hours later, I'll walk to the convenience store and get something. But a lot of the time now, something healthier will satisfy my craving.

And try not to get discouraged either. Fourteen pounds is still progress and it's possible to get back on track. I do sometimes have trouble meal planning, but having healthy food around the house does give you more options.

Thank you. You know, I don't eat junk food. I don't buy chips, or drink soda or even chocolate. But since I'm actively trying to lose, I've found that I'm hungry ALL the time because I'm trying to not eat so many carbs or heavy foods. I think what I would like is to get the weight lost but not always be hungry! I think what's challenging for me is that I'm pretty much throwing out all the stuff that's high carb. Not going low carb so to speak, but just not doing carbs in terms of pasta, rice, breads and stuff. I'll eat a sandwich, or tortillas if they fit into the meal plan of the day, but this requires planning for me, more so than anything else, and like I said, I get tired of thinking about it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss