Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:04 AM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times

Advertisements

I watched a documentary on an Australian guy who was so unhealthy and overweight that he was in danger of dying. Then he came up with this diet consisting of juiced veggies. He regained his health so he set off to sell his diet to the world. He found 'victims' for the documentary and took them through the process and the results were very impressive indeed. But I lost the recording! Has anyone seen this documentary or heard of it and know what the diet is called?

The juiced veggies actually taste quite good and are great for satisfying that sugar craving between meals. They make one feel full and satisfied for quite a long time. We even bought a juicer (which has fallen into disuse!) Now we are going with smoothies (have bought the machine, now need the motivation!) I'm on target already so I have no incentive but my little lady needs a nudge.

Anyway, I think it may be of benefit to a large number of people struggling with weight loss issues.

Last edited by 303Guy; 01-07-2015 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:59 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Veggie smoothies are really the way to go for people who need/want to lose weight. Broccoli, spinach, kale, even brussel sprouts mixed with unsweetened almond milk are fantastic shakes.

Where smoothies get horrible is when people stupidly make fruit smoothies and put 4-5 servings of fruit (i.e, lots of sugar) and mistakenly think they are getting healthy by drinking that crap.

Veggie is definitely the way to go, but you must also have a good physical workout program as well or the efforts are completely and totally wasted.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:53 AM

I won't disagree with the good workout program. However, this documentary focused on sedentary people. One man was depressed and unmotivated and had little exercise and ate badly. After a few weeks on this diet (nothing else being consumed) his depression lifted and he was losing weight rapidly. He did start to be more active though but that was not part of the program, it was spontaneous.

So the diet in question comprising exclusively juiced vegetables. It provides vital nutrients and seems to stimulate the drawing on fat reserves. It also seems to restore a person to health.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:03 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,042 times
Be careful to make the distinction between juices and smoothies. Whereas smoothies keep the pulp and hence the fibers and other important ingredients, juicing gets rid of a lot of these and leaves you with a concentrated sugar juice not really that much better than sodas

Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 AM

Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead was the documentary.
Quote:
juicing gets rid of a lot of these and leaves you with a concentrated sugar juice not really that much better than sodas
Green veggies aren't particularly high in sugars. Carrots are. I don't know why juicing was chosen over smoothies.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Pennington View Post
Juicing is the best way to remove detoxes. Its more about maintaining your weight loss and resetting your mind and body into craving fresh fruits and veggies. According to me, It's important to add juice to your diet every day. You can go through weightloss5ws for more weight loss details. But I am not sure about smoothies. I think green smoothies with less calories must be preferred for weight loss. Alone juice with proper exercises is good for weight loss.
Please do not use the word detox. It is a meaningless marketing term that confuses people. Detoxing is when you are coming off drugs or alcohol under medical supervision.
Our bodies do a fine job of regulating themselves.

Juicing does not detox anyone.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
I was into smoothies after watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. But the amount of fruit I put in them just hiked up the calories too high for me. It didn't seem worth it to me to be trying to get my spinach and kale in but my smoothie would end up being like 300 calories because I had to add banana so it wouldn't taste nasty. It did taste good, but it would have had to be a whole meal replacement and it just did not fill me up.

I decided for me personally, better off to just have a salad with nuts and cheese and that's a meal that's more filling.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:04 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I was into smoothies after watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. But the amount of fruit I put in them just hiked up the calories too high for me. It didn't seem worth it to me to be trying to get my spinach and kale in but my smoothie would end up being like 300 calories because I had to add banana so it wouldn't taste nasty. It did taste good, but it would have had to be a whole meal replacement and it just did not fill me up.

I decided for me personally, better off to just have a salad with nuts and cheese and that's a meal that's more filling.
I agree. By the time I have all the ingredients in the blender it is a caloric nightmare. I do sometimes do frozen berries, 1/2 scoop of whey protein powder and some un-sweetend almond milk. If I have some kale or spinach I will add a bit. The calories are not bad and they are filling. But I only drink those once or twice a week.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:04 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

Juicing does not detox anyone.
Plus, if your system is that full of "toxins" it means your kidneys, liver and/or lungs are failing, and by that point you're way beyond drinking juice to help yourself.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:29 PM

I must say I didn't like the idea of removing all the fibre and probably proteins. That's why I bought my lady a Magic Bullet for Christmas. It's going to last a long long time. It hasn't been used yet! It will get used eventually, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss