Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:38 PM

59 posts, read 67,912 times

Advertisements

After a little reading I came across a book written by Elijah Muhammad called "How to eat to live". In this text it explains that eating once per day is how we humans should eat to survive and live a long life. It states that the human body isn't meant to consume so many meals per day, and the human digestive system needs breaks in between meals.

Has anyone lived by this method, currently trying it, or has tried it? If so what do you think about this idea?

Here is a link if you want to read a little bit further about it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...83829542,d.cWc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,308,423 times
My husband would eat one meal a day if he could. However, my doctor keeps advising him not to because she claims it messes with your blood sugar. He forces himself to eat a couple things during the day on that advice.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:27 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times
My stomach would never shut up.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 PM

415 posts, read 760,887 times
I did one meal a day, a long time ago, I was in poor shape, weighed 320lbs.. well I had enough, life sucked, So I hit the gym, got up to almost 2 hours daily of gym=cardio n weights 5 times a week, and started jogging at night after work.. I would hit the gym in the morning (I worked 2nd shift) then have Minestrone soup and pizza at the same place daily before work.that was that for the day . I dropped 100 lbs in 10 - 11 months, it was awesome, but you didn't want to be around me if i didn't make it to the gym, I would be in a foul mood ....I was a gym Rat, Hooked on it....

Since then I got married,Have two kid's, all good... I now weigh 225lbs, but just rejoined the gym after 17 years off, Ugh, I'm 45 now.. In fact I better go change, Heading to the gym shortly : )

Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,966,932 times
I used to do one-meal-a-day and it worked out well for me. Lost some weight and slept great. Was never famished because my one meal incorporated a lot of carbs and protein.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,728,423 times
I used to eat one meal a day, it worked fine for me from a hunger standpoint, but didn't do anything for weight loss because it was a large meal.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:28 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,722,543 times
For several years I ate one meal a day...it sucked, big time. I gained a lot of weight.

I could not stomach the thought of eating first thing in the morning, so no breakfast. Back then, I worked part time out of the home, so I'd be at work an hour or 2 before "lunch", but because I was just part time, I did not get a lunch break, so obviously I would not eat while at work. When I got home in late afternoon, I was FAMISHED. So I'd eat...a lot. I was not hungry for dinner, so I'd go to bed. Rinse and repeat.

Getting a more normal work schedule changed that for me. I lose weight when I eat smaller, healthier meals throughout the day. And lots of water!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 AM

515 posts, read 1,000,540 times
It depends. Really big right now in the fitness industry is intermittent fasting as made famous by Brad Pillon's eat, stop, eat, ori hofmekler's warrior diet and Martin Berkhan's lean gains diet.

You can read more here: Learn More About Intermittent Fasting | Precision Nutrition

It's perfectly safe and if it works for you, great. I did it for about 2 months, but switched to the lean gains style of eating as it worked better for me.

People who say eating one meal a day is a recipe for disaster are also right. However, it is a recipe for disaster for them only, not for everyone. It can't hurt to give it a shot and see how it works for you.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:16 AM

4,526 posts, read 5,322,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merotti View Post
After a little reading I came across a book written by Elijah Muhammad called "How to eat to live".
Isnt that the guy who died of congestive heart failure? Isnt that the guy who got all the way up to the 4th grade as far as his education? LOL. Like I am going to read and apply a book he wrote on health and nutrition. LMAO!!! No thank you.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:28 AM

1,874 posts, read 1,314,407 times
just follow the Eat Stop Eat diet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss