Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,197,862 times

Advertisements

I am 128 pounds currently. Now at my biggest, I was over 150. So I think I did good losing. However, for the past few years my weight went up and down, normally it stayed in between 122, and 124. But I recently got back to 128. I'd like to get to 110 really.

I was wondering, what are some good foods that can fill you up, but at the same time not load on the pounds. I like sweets, and that's the problem. Junk food is great, but not filling, which can lead to eating more. I was thinking about a fruit diet, but heard that is far from healthy. So, that's out, of course some fruit to eat, but not a diet of it.

So what are the more healthy and filling foods for a grand diet. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. I am also exercising as well. Mainly crunches, as it's just my stomach I wanna lose, but I wanna do it in a healthy way of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
Doing just crunches won't get rid of your stomache. You need to do cardio. I just started doing the Arbonne cleanse. Eating clean and supplement with protein shakes. My girlfriend just completed this and got back to her goal weight.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,334,752 times
I have a sweet tooth and I've found I have to seriously watch not over-doing desserts. I can, on occasion, have something modest. But give me a giant piece of cake and the next day I'm up again craving sugar. If I eat too much of it, it takes me a couple days off sugar to "return to normal".

I also find if I eat junk food, including chips, bagels and things like that, I get empty fast and eat more.

I've had good success simply trying to prepare most of my meals from scratch. It doesn't seem to matter if I fry a pork chop or make spaghetti. If I just make it from whole ingredients myself, I eat less, can go longer between meals, and ultimately lose weight.

I started on SparkPeople.com where they give you a calorie allotment based on your personal situation. I tracked calories every day for a couple weeks, and that gave me a good idea how much I should be eating. It also shows you what foods put a big dent in your calorie allotment. It was easy to do because they have almost every food in their database, so you don't have to enter details. After a couple weeks, I felt I "got it" enough to go on my own. When I find I'm hitting a plateau, I go back and track calories again just to get back on track.

Hope that helps, and congratulations on your weight loss so far! That's a great accomplishment!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Doing just crunches won't get rid of your stomache. You need to do cardio. I just started doing the Arbonne cleanse. Eating clean and supplement with protein shakes. My girlfriend just completed this and got back to her goal weight.
Well the weight I lost from the 150 was crunches. This was years ago, 5-7. I certainly didn't run or jog. lol And no, I don't smoke, so didn't lose it that way either lol. And not trolling. Crunches was literally all I did, I just did tons of them, which got me from almost 160 back to 120s. Unless the walking around in school helped lol

I just need food suggestions that will do the job and give sustenance, and the craving for snacks, sweets, and junk in general goes down. Would eating nothing but fruit and vegetables alone be good and filling & plentiful, or would that cause problems in the long run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I have a sweet tooth and I've found I have to seriously watch not over-doing desserts. I can, on occasion, have something modest. But give me a giant piece of cake and the next day I'm up again craving sugar. If I eat too much of it, it takes me a couple days off sugar to "return to normal".

I also find if I eat junk food, including chips, bagels and things like that, I get empty fast and eat more.

I've had good success simply trying to prepare most of my meals from scratch. It doesn't seem to matter if I fry a pork chop or make spaghetti. If I just make it from whole ingredients myself, I eat less, can go longer between meals, and ultimately lose weight.

I started on SparkPeople.com where they give you a calorie allotment based on your personal situation. I tracked calories every day for a couple weeks, and that gave me a good idea how much I should be eating. It also shows you what foods put a big dent in your calorie allotment. It was easy to do because they have almost every food in their database, so you don't have to enter details. After a couple weeks, I felt I "got it" enough to go on my own. When I find I'm hitting a plateau, I go back and track calories again just to get back on track.

Hope that helps, and congratulations on your weight loss so far! That's a great accomplishment!
Thanks. I am shocked I lost that weight. I am like you. I love sweets and junk. Working out is gold. But the eating is my kryptinite.

Chips
Cake
Pop-tarts
Pancakes
Cereal
Candy
Peanut Butter
Sliced Strawberries
Tangerines
Chile
Chips with rotel dip.
Applesauce
White Rice - with sugar
Oatmeal

Not to say I eat this in one day lol, but if I want something to eat, something on the list is what it is.

I still have 1 pair of pants I had when I was much bigger, and the almost fall off when I wear them. So I stay optimistic that least I am far from that weight again.

I do the exercise, and feel the burn afterward, then I crave something sweet, and eat a bowl of cereal. Currently is Sugar Smacks.

Last edited by HappyRain; 02-04-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 09:55 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,334,752 times
I have not had success replacing sweets with fruit. I just end up eating gobs of fruit. I really do eat normally and the cravings and hunger go away when I limit sugar intake. To me, that means maybe once every couple weeks, I'll have dessert if we eat out at a restaurant. I went to a farmer's market last weekend and tried a cannoli. If I limit it to maybe twice a month, I'm in way better shape to eat sensibly and lose weight.

I do still have fruit several times a week, but I limit that to apples, bananas, oranges--larger fruits where one is a serving, and then I only allow one a day. I stay away from grapes and berries where I'll sit down and eat the whole thing.

Protein will keep you fuller longer. I starve on a low-fat all fruit and vegetable diet. That never worked for me. I do best when I have protein with every meal, and I limit my carbs to whole grains.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:18 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,635,434 times
Atkins type diet.............low carb-higher fat-adequate protein.

Eat mainly meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, fish and you can add-in things like coconut oil to use for energy.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I have not had success replacing sweets with fruit. I just end up eating gobs of fruit. I really do eat normally and the cravings and hunger go away when I limit sugar intake. To me, that means maybe once every couple weeks, I'll have dessert if we eat out at a restaurant. I went to a farmer's market last weekend and tried a cannoli. If I limit it to maybe twice a month, I'm in way better shape to eat sensibly and lose weight.

I do still have fruit several times a week, but I limit that to apples, bananas, oranges--larger fruits where one is a serving, and then I only allow one a day. I stay away from grapes and berries where I'll sit down and eat the whole thing.

Protein will keep you fuller longer. I starve on a low-fat all fruit and vegetable diet. That never worked for me. I do best when I have protein with every meal, and I limit my carbs to whole grains.
I'll try more protein. Have to look into that. And really read and pay attention. I recently found out Sugar Smacks is one of the worst cereal to eat, which is what I am eating now in terms of cereals. My mother said she ate them alot while pregnant with me, and I was a fat baby lol

Yep. A problem I have as well. I could eat fruit, but the natural sugar would have me eating lots of it. I have a feelings I may become diabetic one day lol Then again, I have known to have anemia, least I did at one point lol. Sometimes I may get icky after giving blood, so once I give, I can't do too much moving. At one point, I gave blood and had to do alot of walking and lifting afterward, and by the end of the day I couldn't breathe, my heart rate was up, and I had to be taken home and put in bed.

I took chips out of my diet. Because once the bag is open..whew. lol So no chips. Haven't had any in a while. I like pizza, but I cut that from my diet as well. I used to drinks lots of soda, now I drink 1 or 2 canned sprites a day, at most. Some days I drink none. Otherwise, I drink cranberry juice and water. But that's it for drinks. No orange juice, apple juice, colored sodas, , etc. The 3 I listed is it.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
OP, the peanutbutter on your list is actually not a bad idea. Just don't put it on starch. And don't get peanutbutter that has any sugar added to it. Check ingredients; the only ones you should see are roasted peanuts and salt. Nothing else, and not even salt if you want it unsalted. There are a bunch of brands out there that offer unsweetened peanutbutter; I prefer Teddie's, you can get it on most supermarket shelves. Has to be mixed the first time you open it, after that just keep it in the fridge so the peanut oil doesn't separate from the paste.

You can smear it into the "boat" of a celery stalk - the celery brings out the natural sweetness of the peanutbutter. That way you get protein, fiber, iron, sweetness and fats and a few tasty vitamins all in one, without any starches that can trigger a sweet tooth. 1 full celery stalk with 1 heaping tablespoon peanutbutter = 1 snack.

Hummus is also great, if you don't use it as a "dip." A couple tablespoons of it on a plate with crisp lettuce and cherry tomatoes and calamata olives and a scattering of chopped onion, and a drizzle of tahini. Squeeze a lemon wedge over the plate before eating it with a fork. It's very filling, satisfies salt and sour cravings, and provides protein and fat and fiber and a variety of other nutrients.

If you make salads (which you should), try making a dinner salad instead of a side salad, as your entree. My go-to is grilled boneless skinned chicken breast, cut up and sauteed with a *little* butter, sliced shallot, garlic, some mushrooms and lemon juice. Toss that right onto some wild field greens right out of the hot pan, add a few generous pinches of parmesan cheese. Include any raw veggies that you think will taste good in that - mine are usually grape tomatoes and sometimes sliced sweet green peppers. You don't need to add any dressing, the stuff from the chicken pan will give it the flavor it needs. Tons of protein, tons of flavor, vitamin C and A and iron and a whole bunch of nutrients all in a single dinner bowl.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:04 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Quote:

Truer words were never spoken. I'm almost 40, short, on weight gain meds, and fat runs in my family, so all I have to do is LOOK at a piece of cake and I pile on the pounds But seriously, I have to have meat every meal or I'm hungry all the time. I don't try to eliminate sweets. It doesn't work for me, because I just end up substituting the bad sweets with good ones AND eating cookies or whatnot later also. Eating regularly helps a lot. If I don't let myself get too hungry, I can keep my internal Cookie Monster at bay much better. When I really want something sweet, I go to the pantry for my favorite candy and I don't feel guilty about it.

I rarely eat bread or other carbs, though; just fruit sometimes and candy. I eat a ton of vegetables and lean meat as my staples. As for the exercise, I'm glad crunches work for you, but I have to work out most days. I do a cardio/strength full body combination DVD in the morning for 30 minutes, and that helps control my weight too. Without exercise, I could starve myself and still put on weight.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
You are so close. How about just a little adjustment to your diet, like no flour or added sugar, three days a week? See if you have any results after a month. It might be all you need to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss