Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,565,167 times

Advertisements

Your wish is my command.

Honestly, I haven't even thought that my stalling is due to my age. I really think it is due to my calorie intake. I would hate for me to blame it on my age, when it isn't my age. Soon enough, hopefully I will get into gear and prove that it really is the calorie thing. Go 1400 a day! **cheers self on lol**

But who knows for sure. Anyway, here it is, a thread for losing weight after 40.
Enjoy.

P.S. I am 47:9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:15 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,831,741 times
You think it is tough at 40 try 50!
I lost 40 pounds at 48. It took a little over 6 months. In the past year I have gained 10 lbs and it is without a doubt much harder to get it off at 53. I will lose 5 pounds and feel great but stall out and then gain the weight back. This may be my true set point for my age but it is disheartening. I have to be so careful not to gain anymore.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:33 PM

14,565 posts, read 23,090,940 times
I don't know if you are post-menopausal, but if you are, there is good evidence that low dose bromocriptine is very effective for weight loss.

Effects of a quick-release form of bromocriptine (Ergoset) on fasting and postprandial plasma glucose, insulin, lipid, and lipoprotein concentratio... - PubMed - NCBI

From pages 50-51 of Lyle McDonald's book, Bromocriptine.

Quote:
In the earliest study, bromocriptine was given at either 1.25 or 2.5 mg/day to obese post-menopausal women and bodyfat was monitored by skinfold (4 site: iliac, triceps, biceps, and subscapular) and bodyweigh

The results were excellent, to say the least. In six weeks, the average drop in bodyfat percentage in the women was from 37.3% to 33.8%. Skinfold measurements (in millimeters) dropped by 25%. This change ultimately represented a loss of 8.6 pounds of fat in 6 weeks, roughly 1.5 lbs fat/week, with no change in diet. In two subjects who were kept on bromocriptine for 20 weeks, the reduction in total skinfolds
was nearly doubled, to a 45% reduction. If a 25% reduction in skinfolds equaled 8.6 pounds of fat, 45% would be almost twice that, nearly 16 pounds of fat lost in 20 weeks with no change in diet. Again, the women lost nearly one and a half pounds of fat per week with no change in diet, just adding low-dose daily bromocriptine.
Bromocriptine | Bodyrecomposition

Old 06-15-2015, 05:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,814,083 times
I'd rather just eat better and exercise more efficiently, than take a pill. That's the answer to so many things: take a pill. And then you have side effects, and have to take a pill to counteract the side effects. Of course THOSE pills have to be combined with something else, or you end up with a dificiency in blah blah blahdiblahblah.

And all you had to do in the first place was put the fork down when you stopped feeling hungry, and get up from the table and go for a brisk walk.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:32 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,801,173 times
Need some motivation?

Body Transformation: Ellie Lyons Lost 78 Pounds At Age 63! - Bodybuilding.com

The above example is one of many 40 and over people who successfully lose weight and transform their body. I am 50 and while I was able lose weight -- it hasn't been easy. I still struggle with overeating. Reading other people's stories make me realize that I am not alone. Whatever is keeping you from achieving you goal of losing weight, there are people who share the same struggle. Maybe their success can inspire you to do the same.

Last edited by davidt1; 06-15-2015 at 10:54 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 05:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,814,083 times
I've found Myfitnesspal to be pretty useful. As long as I remember to plug in the information every day, I can keep track of what I'm doing right - and see clearly what I can improve on. It takes a lot of the struggle out of it, because it is "to the point" and doesn't try to offer a way out of this, or an excuse for that, or a justification for something else. Clear-cut:
You ate these things. They consisted of this, that, and the other thing. You did that amount of calorie-burning. Your net total is a negative, BUT you also ate too many of that, not enough of that. If you switch things around a little in the next week, you'll see the same results, a little quicker.**

**You, meaning me, or whoever else is using Myfitnesspal. The app/program explains all of these things to you, so that you can make adjustments daily or weekly to improve your chance at success.

Last edited by AnonChick; 06-16-2015 at 05:57 AM..

Old 06-16-2015, 05:46 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
There was definitely a metabolic switch that got thrown when I went over 35. Despite the fact that in my 40s and 50s I was far more active than I'd ever been in my 20s--I was racking up over 250 miles a week of road cycling-- and eating much less, I was still slowly gaining weight.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:19 AM

19,838 posts, read 9,407,961 times
I struggle with my weight, but my ideal weight as far as how I look is 123 lbs., but I feel good at any weight between 115 and 135. (I am 61 and 5'4", btw.)

Six years ago, my weight gradually increased until I weighed 162 (OUCH!), and I went on a 1,200 calories per day diet until I got down to 115 lbs., which took me nine months to do. Now my weight has crept back until I now weigh 138, so I am dieting again (but this time, 1,400 calories a day) -- just started it five days ago.

The problem with me now, though, is motivation. Six years ago, I felt motivated to diet because I wanted to look better, but now I look in the mirror and see a woman definitely past 55. So even though my goal now is just to get down to 125, I find it very hard to stick to my diet this time -- especially since my being attractive doesn't really matter to my husband any more. (He has said repeatedly that as long as I am well-groomed and healthy, that's all that matters to him.) I figure what's the point, as long as I try to lose just a few pounds to feel better.

Is anyone else past 50 experiencing this lack of motivation? And how do you get past the "what's the point" mindset? Or do you also just think, "Why bother?"

Old 06-16-2015, 06:23 AM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've found Myfitnesspal to be pretty useful. As long as I remember to plug in the information every day, I can keep track of what I'm doing right - and see clearly what I can improve on. It takes a lot of the struggle out of it, because it is "to the point" and doesn't try to offer a way out of this, or an excuse for that, or a justification for something else. Clear-cut:
You ate these things. They consisted of this, that, and the other thing. You did that amount of calorie-burning. Your net total is a negative, BUT you also ate too many of that, not enough of that. If you switch things around a little in the next week, you'll see the same results, a little quicker.**

**You, meaning me, or whoever else is using Myfitnesspal. The app/program explains all of these things to you, so that you can make adjustments daily or weekly to improve your chance at success.
I am using it. Just finished entering last night's dinner. Everything you said describes it perfectly. I can see where I could have done better, and I can see what I did right. Was 95 calories UNDER goal yesterday! That's partially because I was allowing myself to snitch from my coworker's candy dish last week...then entering the calories and deciding those 120 or 84 calories were not worth the minute or so of taste enjoyment.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:26 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,435,538 times
Doesn't it depend more on the individual than a number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss