Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 04:29 PM

14,585 posts, read 23,154,474 times

Advertisements

If you know me at all, you know I am a big fan of Lyle McDonald. Lyle is one of the best in the industry when it comes to the science of dieting and training, and his site BodyRecomposition.com is one of the best out there. Kinobody did an interview with Lyle for their podcasts a few months back, and though it is somewhat aimed at bodybuilders and athletes there is still a lot of good information in there for the average person.

As my gift to this forum, I went back and listened to this episode again, taking notes of which topics are talked about at certain points. Those notes are listed below. You should listen to the entire episode, but if you want to skip around to certain topics, you can use my notes to guide you.

Note: The parts with their time stamps listed in RED are the most important parts, in my opinion, as they talk about the psychological aspects of dieting that I suspect most of us struggle with. Everyone should listen to those parts.

You can stream the podcast through either of the two links below, or by using whatever podcast medium you have available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4_rSFdkTo

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...595901326?mt=2

Intro - Lyle talks his reasons for getting into the fitness industry (hint: he was an overweight childhood) and his education.

5:30 - Discussion about the history of diets and how certain approaches like low carb fade away and come back and the "low fat hell" of the late 80s and early 90s. Also discussing why/when counting calories are important and why some people desire a simple answer approach to dieting.

13:00 - Benefits, drawbacks and limitations of low carb diets, including counting calories on a low carb diet. Also, how and why people tend to underestimate their calorie intake.

20:50 - Why some people thrive on low carb diets and others don't (briefly touches on insulin sensitivity, and the genetic component of dieting) and how serotonin levels can result in diet induced depression. Also talks about differing views in the industry and why some people become zealots advocating for a single diet.

27:47 - Why the "best" diet is the one that you will stick to and why the details matter a lot less than the bigger picture. Start of the discussion on the psychological issues related to dieting. Brief mention of Weight Watchers and how they're actually doing a lot of things right.

35:50 - Discussion of excuses in dieting and taking responsibility. From there, discussion goes into rigid versus flexible dieting and the difference between being goal oriented versus process oriented and the pros and cons to both. Why "cheat" meals are actually beneficial and easing into dieting as a beginner.

48:30 - Talk about the "IIFYM" (if it fits your macros) craze and the problems with food shaming.

57:30 - Discussion shifts more to bodybuilding at this point. How drugs can mask poor diet and training and the revelation that steroids and no training builds more muscle natural training. Also brief discussion of the genetic elite and why Crossfit doesn't get to claim "their" elite athletes.

1:04:00 - Specialization, over-training, and what makes muscles grow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss