Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:35 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,788,231 times

Advertisements

I talked to a friend who is a massage therapist and he said it's not thin bones that make is why I'm skinny but actually more so joints and muscles that is what makes one look buff. I thought more calcium would make me bigger, but it's more protein. He says I need at least 155-200 grams of protein a day. How does one get that into their diet?

I usually have egg whites, milk or oj, turkey bacon, and a bagel for breakfast.

Lunch is usually a chicken snack wrap and a chicken burger with lettuce and tomato.

And dinner can vary but usually have some sort of meat with my dinner.

I also been drinking a protein fruit punch during my work outs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:01 PM

14,574 posts, read 23,130,006 times
First off I don't want you to take this as an insult because it's not, but it sure seems like you're the rank of rank beginners. And yes, it's muscle that makes you look buff, not bones. No worries though, young Jedi, we can teach you!

First, check out my sticky from the Diet and Weight Loss forum and answer those questions here, since the answers will be relevant to you as well and will help us guide you better. Also, maybe a mod would be willing to move this thread to the Diet or Exercise forums, as it might be a better fit there.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...orum-read.html

In a general sense, 155-200 grams a day is probably a good ballpark estimate if you're very lean and just starting out. The article below would be a good read for you. The recommendation is for 1.5 grams of protein for every pound of lean body mass and even shows a couple sample meal plans to show how doable a high protein intake is. I'd add that while it isn't a requirement, getting a good protein powder (preferably whey or casein) would be a wise idea. It's very simple and cost effective way to add low calorie protein to your diet.

Protein Requirements for Strength and Power Athletes | BodyRecomposition

Old 07-02-2015, 01:04 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,526,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chermolee View Post
fish, lean chicken, cheese, lean beef, pork loin,yogurt, milk, soyamilk, eggs, nuts and seeds.... Go for it
This.
There's no magic formula except eating good,healthy protein.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:47 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,860,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chermolee View Post
fish, lean chicken, cheese, lean beef, pork loin,yogurt, milk, soyamilk, eggs, nuts and seeds.... Go for it
I'm seeing no fruit, no vegetables. That means no/low vitamin C and no/low fiber. Fat isn't an enemy, I get that, but it IS an enemy when it's stuck in your intestines because you are too low in fiber to get it out of your intestines. I'd definitely add "green leafy vegetables" to that, such as kale and spinach, and broccoli and asparagus, and berries of all sorts for fruit.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Current stats- 150 pounds 24 and 5 10

Gender - male

Goals - Want to add 5-10 pounds of muscle in a yr to six months

Current diet - already stated

Exercise - free weights, bench press, ab crunches, sometimes push up, bar bell curls, other ab stuff, 10 minutes of running

Supplements - drink whey protein fruit punch during work out and used to take flax seed oil

Old 07-02-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Current stats- 150 pounds 24 and 5 10

Gender - male

Goals - Want to add 5-10 pounds of muscle in a yr to six months

Current diet - already stated

Exercise - free weights, bench press, ab crunches, sometimes push up, bar bell curls, other ab stuff, 10 minutes of running

Supplements - drink whey protein fruit punch during work out and used to take flax seed oil
Ok, cool. This gives us something to work with. Start by reading through the following links. Yes it's a lot of reading but it'll give you some beginner's knowledge. I'd also highly advise you to get a notebook and take some notes while reading those articles.

Macronutrient Intake for Mass Gains - Q&A | BodyRecomposition

Beginning Weight Training Part 1 | BodyRecomposition (read all 4 parts)

Following the 1.5g/lb protein recommendation would have you at 225 grams of protein a day. Not really that difficult to hit. Your protein shake should be 24g per serving, give or take, so you can take those as needed. Swap out the flax seed oil for fish oil. You might also add creatine as a supplement (this is a good one) as it will definitely help.

That will give you a good foundation to build off of and if you have your diet and training down good, gaining 10lbs of muscle in 6 months is very doable.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Old 07-03-2015, 07:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,962,255 times
Quote:
I talked to a friend who is a massage therapist and he said it's not thin bones that make is why I'm skinny but actually more so joints and muscles that is what makes one look buff. I thought more calcium would make me bigger, but it's more protein. He says I need at least 155-200 grams of protein a day. How does one get that into their diet?

I usually have egg whites, milk or oj, turkey bacon, and a bagel for breakfast.

Lunch is usually a chicken snack wrap and a chicken burger with lettuce and tomato.

And dinner can vary but usually have some sort of meat with my dinner.

I also been drinking a protein fruit punch during my work outs.
You add more protein to your diet by eating more foods with protein in them. Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, shellfish, and eggs all have lots of protein.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Ok, cool. This gives us something to work with. Start by reading through the following links. Yes it's a lot of reading but it'll give you some beginner's knowledge. I'd also highly advise you to get a notebook and take some notes while reading those articles.

Macronutrient Intake for Mass Gains - Q&A | BodyRecomposition

Beginning Weight Training Part 1 | BodyRecomposition (read all 4 parts)

Following the 1.5g/lb protein recommendation would have you at 225 grams of protein a day. Not really that difficult to hit. Your protein shake should be 24g per serving, give or take, so you can take those as needed. Swap out the flax seed oil for fish oil. You might also add creatine as a supplement (this is a good one) as it will definitely help.

That will give you a good foundation to build off of and if you have your diet and training down good, gaining 10lbs of muscle in 6 months is very doable.

Good luck, and keep us updated!
I'm an ectomorph (skinniest of the morphs) so is it still possible to gain that much muscle? What I can lift is going up but I can't see the physical change yet.

Why should I switch fish oil or flax seed oil?

Old 07-04-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I'm an ectomorph (skinniest of the morphs) so is it still possible to gain that much muscle? What I can lift is going up but I can't see the physical change yet.

Why should I switch fish oil or flax seed oil?
Your body type really isn't going to have much to do with how much muscle you can gain, especially at any beginner level. If you're adding weight and/or volume to your lifts you're getting stronger and thus your muscles are growing, and the changes will become visible eventually.

Flaxseed oil converts very poorly (<20%) to EPA and DHA, the usable forms of the omega 3s, so it is not a substitute for fish oils.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 PM

should i only up my protein on work out days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss