Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:17 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,028,832 times

Advertisements

I guess I didn't really phrase my post well. I do think that diet changes are important for significant weight loss. I do think that exercising a lot gives you a lot more leeway, though. Also, I've found that in my life, exercising and eating what I want in controlled portions has worked a lot better than trying to restrict myself from all of the things that I love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 11:18 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,565,545 times
I am also in keep the cheesecake camp, unless you have a real issue with overeating/addictive eating.

I have really noticed lately that for me, I have seen many things I want to eat at the store, or at the many pot lucks I attend, but I am able to say no to myself, for what I desire is to see that scale to continue to go down. I think to myself, "yeah that cheesecake looks good, but if I eat it, it's more likely that the scale number will go back up and I do not want that." I am so excited that it has finally gone down and I am not going to let a split moment decision mess that up!

You must WANT weight loss over ANYTHING else. This is what I believe and holds true for me, and I bet for a lot of people.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,179,394 times
To the OP - you're gorgeous, and definitely carry your weight well. I think the fact that you're tall has a lot to do with this. Sure, I understand if you want to lose weight re: health issues. But, I think you look great.

And, I don't think that you look older than you are.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 07-14-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 03:53 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am also in keep the cheesecake camp, unless you have a real issue with overeating/addictive eating.

I have really noticed lately that for me, I have seen many things I want to eat at the store, or at the many pot lucks I attend, but I am able to say no to myself, for what I desire is to see that scale to continue to go down. I think to myself, "yeah that cheesecake looks good, but if I eat it, it's more likely that the scale number will go back up and I do not want that." I am so excited that it has finally gone down and I am not going to let a split moment decision mess that up!

You must WANT weight loss over ANYTHING else. This is what I believe and holds true for me, and I bet for a lot of people.
For me, too. I LOVE candy. I am so happy when I am eating candy. But I'm not having any, and I've passed the candy aisle at the supermarket and looked right at some of my favorite things and said, "Nope, if I eat that, I'll enjoy it for a few minutes but I won't continue to lose weight."

My tastes are beginning to change. I'm off work this week, and I ran over to the farm stand yesterday and picked up some stuff. Today I cooked yellow and green squash, a Vidalia onion, corn cut from a fresh ear, a red pepper, and a big tomato in olive oil in my cast-iron pan, and I threw in some basil, rosemary, and cilantro from my garden. It was SO good. I ate some of it just before with a burger (no cheese, no bread), and the rest of the vegetables I am going to mix with some chick peas and have it over rice for a vegetarian lunch tomorrow.

I used to keep a regular supply of cheese and crackers in the house for snacks. Now I have carrots and hummus.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,430,513 times
From the neck up, you look your age. It's the limping and the way you move physically that makes people think you're far older than your actual age. Your wardrobe is definitely not helping (assuming what you're wearing in the picture is typical of what you normally wear). The weight loss will help not so much for appearance but because presumably you will move like a younger woman if you weigh less. In the meantime, while you're losing the weight there are a number of clothing stores out there for young overweight women where you can find clothing that would help you to dress in a more age appropriate manner.

Last edited by patches403; 07-15-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 12:45 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,565,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For me, too. I LOVE candy. I am so happy when I am eating candy. But I'm not having any, and I've passed the candy aisle at the supermarket and looked right at some of my favorite things and said, "Nope, if I eat that, I'll enjoy it for a few minutes but I won't continue to lose weight."

My tastes are beginning to change. I'm off work this week, and I ran over to the farm stand yesterday and picked up some stuff. Today I cooked yellow and green squash, a Vidalia onion, corn cut from a fresh ear, a red pepper, and a big tomato in olive oil in my cast-iron pan, and I threw in some basil, rosemary, and cilantro from my garden. It was SO good. I ate some of it just before with a burger (no cheese, no bread), and the rest of the vegetables I am going to mix with some chick peas and have it over rice for a vegetarian lunch tomorrow.

I used to keep a regular supply of cheese and crackers in the house for snacks. Now I have carrots and hummus.
Awesome! Sounds nummy!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
I think it is your outfit actually! If you dress that way regularly it looks just too matronly and frumpy. Try ASOS!

I also think exercise will improve the way you move. I am pretty clueless about arthritis, but a few exercise recommendations: yoga! This will help you move better. Weight lifting and strength training will show progress faster (you'll achieve stuff as you lift more, do more reps). Also biking helps with balance and isn't load bearing.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:40 PM

68 posts, read 74,383 times
@Eboniy: I have arthritis too (diagnosed at 15; I'm 29 now) and feeling like I have the hips of a 90 year old grandma makes me feel old. Same with limping around. I will never forget having to hang off my mother's arm to cross a street because my joints were so painful and stiff; it was like a pitiful role-reversal.

That said, if not for anything else, I would encourage you to lose weight for your joints. When I eat poorly, I suffer more, when I carry more weight than my frame needs, I hurt more, when I'm in pain, it's hard to be lighthearted and playful which is where I think youth resides. Committing yourself to health will make a huge difference in how you feel and how you are perceived by others. However, I wouldn't worry too much about the superficial things right now- your demeanor will naturally lighten up as you concentrate on your wellbeing and the comments likely will as well

Keep us posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss