Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When I have problems ditching fat, it 100% goes back to my diet every time.
Cut out any and all refined carbs immediately.
It is amazing how I will be like you - only water, lots of exercise, not too many calories... but let a refined card in the door and blam. Fergeddaboot it.

Not sleeping enough makes it easy for sugar to get in my head, too.
Will do! Putting it in print and having others analyze my diet has been really helpful. I thought I ate a pretty healthy diet, but looks like I can still make some improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Did you say how long you've been on your current diet/exercise program? My apologies if I missed it.
It's been since about mid-April, though I was eating around 1400 calories then ...I switched to approx. 1200 about a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You should also explore why you're only getting 5.5-6 hours of sleep every night. At your age, 6 hours should be the minimum, with 7 being "average" and 8 an unexpected bonus. Some reasons why some people wake up before the "magic" hour:

Drinking too much caffeine.
Having caffeine after 2pm.
Eating too close to bedtime.
Not eating enough after waking up and before lunch.
Hormones.
Medications.
Some other illness.
Uncomfortable pillow/mattress/bed.
Too warm.
Drinking *anything* too close to bedtime (bladders hate that, especially at 2 in the morning)

So - if you're drinking a whole cup of tea in the evening, you might want to drink it an hour earlier, and make sure it's herbal and not an actual tea - which is a natural diuretic.

If it's very warm in your bed, you could try buying a new set of sheets with a very tight weave - the crisper the cooler.

A good night's sleep is important for your entire body - including fitness.
You could be on to something too. A lot of it was due to my schedule...I just couldn't fit everything in so I was staying up later and later and it just became habit to go to bed around 11pm or midnight and be awake at 4:30 or 5. I know sleep is important...I just am struggling to get everything done that needs attention sometimes.

However, we also started eating dinner later too once school was out (due to kids baseball schedules). I'm sure that has an impact on not being able to fall alseep at a reasonable hour. Baseball is done, so I have a few weeks to get back into a normal routine. I've been trying to get to sleep around 10pm or so...but then I wind up frustrated that it isn't happening and I'm wide awake. I just need to create some new routines at night I think and back up my bedtime in smaller increments at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Well, I'm scratching my head. Eating that little and exercising that much, I don't understand why you wouldn't be losing weight. Rather than eat even less, I would be more inclined to switch up what you're eating. You are already relatively low carb. Maybe lower the amount of fruit or dairy. As another poster said, watch the nuts. They add up fast.

I don't know anything about the condition you mentioned. Is it possible you're on medication that could be interfering with your weight loss?

If it helps, I understand your frustration and don't blame you. You seemed to have checked all the boxes and should be seeing results.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
It doesn't sound like it's your lifestyle tbh. Sounds like you're very knowledgeable and are doing all the right tings. But, you have hashimoto's, that is a PITA disease to lose weight with. Your metabolism is screwed up, so rules that work for a healthy person do not apply. Even if your thyroid is controlled, some people end up gaining weight on synthroid or whatever you may be on. Some have better luck with the natural version, Armor. Have you talked to an endo about adjusting your dosage?

If adjusting meds is not an option, I strongly recommend getting your basal metabolic rate tested. It's really the only way to know how many calories you should be eating because standard formulas won't work for you. I honestly don't believe in picking apart your diet and excluding certain foods, it's calories in and calories out, the problem is in knowing the 'out' part. Once you know for certain how much you're burning, then you can create a deficit that will hopefully help you lose. Otherwise it's all just a stab in the dark.
Good luck!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Unless there is something wrong with your metabolism, if you eat 1250-1400 calories, you should lose weight.

So assuming your body is "normal," that might mean you think you're eating 1250-1400, but really you're eating 1550-1800 - ish. Oh, and do not count your exercise calories, as most people tend to overestimate and it hurts them in the long run.
The OP has Hashimoto's, a metabolic disease. Clearly there's 'something wrong' with her metabolism and her body is not 'normal', which has to be the main reason she's struggling.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:43 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
The OP has Hashimoto's, a metabolic disease. Clearly there's 'something wrong' with her metabolism and her body is not 'normal', which has to be the main reason she's struggling.
Hashimotos can be easily managed with the right dosage of meds. Absolutely not an excuse for being over weight.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:53 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Hashimotos can be easily managed with the right dosage of meds. Absolutely not an excuse for being over weight.
Not necessarily, an excuse, but an explanation. If I had it, and I was doing everything right and not losing, I'd certainly think all signs pointed to it.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I have heard of many people with thyroid disorders struggling with weight in spite of being on medication. Some actually experience a rapid weight gain after starting synthroid, without changing diet or lifestyle.
Hormones and metabolism are a really tricky thing. That's why I suggested getting her BMR checked, it could well be way below the 1250 calories she's eating - which would obviously not be normal for a healthy person.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:09 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Quote:
I'm under the care of a doctor and have been seeing someone every 12-16 weeks for the last several years. I'm on my 4th medication for it. Yes it can be easily managed, and while mine is acceptable as of my last appointment, they watch it very closely. My body tends to do well on a new med for about 9 months or so, and then it stops being effective. Of the symptoms we are trying to control, weight is one of the least of my concerns. Since I seem to be under decent control now, I figured it's a good time to try to drop a few pounds.

However, it is currently difficult to lose weight. I've done it very, very easily without having this diagnosis in the past so I know what I have done to lose weight. That wasn't working so I made some changes and that wasn't working either. Maybe it's age, maybe it's the issues with thyroid, maybe it is something else that needs tweaking...don't know. It's why I posted asking for suggestions and insight from others on here.

Do you have anything suggestions to offer other than "calories in, calories out"? I'm more than willing to try just about anything (other than pills and surgery )

Old 07-16-2015, 04:21 PM

380 posts, read 653,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I make most of what I eat, including the hummus, and I don't add oil to it. Now I don't make the pretzels so I'll just cut those out. The peanut butter is just the natural peanut butter from whole foods...I'll have to look at the label again but I am pretty sure it was just peanuts and salt. As for the nuts, I usually just eat an ounce (weighed). Those are just an occasional snack though, not everyday.

My struggle with cutting out animal products is the lack of protein in my diet. I had actually just increased the animal protein per the dietitian's recommendation. I'll be honest though, I have no idea how much protein/carbs/fat I need. If anyone can guide me on approximately how much I should be consuming that it would be great
Hummus: Sounds good!

I'd personally stay away from all peanut butter if I were trying to lose weight. I eat a couple tablespoons of almond butter daily currently, but I'm at my ideal weight right now (155 lbs.; 5-foot-10 male).

Nuts: Sounds good.

Regarding lack of protein: You still get protein from eating vegetables and starches. Not to the level of eating meat/dairy, but it sounds like your number-one goal right now is to lose weight, not to avoid some kind of nebulous "protein deficiency" status. The needs for protein are very low and easily attained by eating vegetables. If you're trying to become a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, that's a different story entirely.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Do you have anything suggestions to offer other than "calories in, calories out"? I'm more than willing to try just about anything (other than pills and surgery )
I honestly fail to see anything wrong other than what I mentioned previously and I think that is your best bet for getting back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss