Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:11 AM

748 posts, read 1,377,946 times

Advertisements

I am overweight but also I am having some other health issues so trying to eat a diet with limited but good food. Is there anyone here that has tried or using the Paleo diet every day? I can use all the tips you can share. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:57 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
The Paleo diet was all the rage around here a while back. I wonder if anyone is still doing it. This would be a good time to get some success stories.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:22 PM

13,394 posts, read 7,401,042 times
I use the Paleo diet cookbook lots of good lower carb meals in there. It has worked for me I lost 20 lbs in 60 days so far I'm about to hit 30 lbs loss. I exercise 5-6 days a week with a trainer that is a big part of my diet too. A friend sent me a PDF of the cookbook he has lost 50 lbs on it he only works out a few days a week. I'm not as strict as he is with the diet I eat other things too just smaller amounts.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:25 PM

605 posts, read 706,607 times
I think one of the biggest pluses to the Paleo diet is that fact that you do not eat processed foods. That, in my opinion, is one of the best things anyone can do to change their diet. I know it may not always be feasible in every case, but it is a good starting point. Again, in my opinion, that is why the Paleo diet can be very successful for some people (especially when one is changing from a highly refined, processed diet).

Old 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,568,693 times
If the Paleo diet is just mainly getting away from processed foods, then I've been doing it all along.

Although Im still no expert on what all is processed and not processed.

For example, I use creamer, as in from the fridge section, is that processed?
Is sour cream processed? Ice cream?

Old 07-20-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
If the Paleo diet is just mainly getting away from processed foods, then I've been doing it all along.

Although Im still no expert on what all is processed and not processed.

For example, I use creamer, as in from the fridge section, is that processed?
Is sour cream processed? Ice cream?
Paleo is a bit more than that. But to make it as SIMPLE as possible, and to sum it up (in a crude way), it is limiting your diet to what our ancestors ate during "cave man" times. So a lot of meat, berries, nuts, NO grains, not even beans (though on modified Paleo diets, you can eat beans), and no dairy. So anything after the advent of agriculture (grains, dairy, etc.) is not included in the Paleo diet. Therefore, yes, your creamer is HIGHLY processed!

Old 07-20-2015, 02:38 PM

Also, note that the Paleo diet in the strictest sense will not work for everyone, as it can be a higher fat content than some people can consume (always check with your doctor before starting ANY diet).

Old 07-20-2015, 02:43 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I keep clicking "Post" before I realize I forgot to include additional thoughts: The reason why Paleo diets have been around awhile, is because it claims it it is the diet that we have biologically evolved to eat (an omnivore diet and the fact that we have not evolved to process refined sugars or artificial sweeteners). So anything with refined sugars or artificial sweeteners are also off limits. I HAVE to have an occasional Diet Dr. Pepper so I definitely cannot be a strict Paleo follower! :P

Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
Has anyone followed the Paleo way of eating for more than a year? That is what I am curious about. Who was able to stay on this plan for the long haul. Done following its strict guidelines it seems it would be difficult to maintain this as a long term way of eating. So if anyone can prove me wrong I would love to hear from you.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,834,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
Paleo is a bit more than that. But to make it as SIMPLE as possible, and to sum it up (in a crude way), it is limiting your diet to what our ancestors ate during "cave man" times. So a lot of meat, berries, nuts, NO grains, not even beans (though on modified Paleo diets, you can eat beans), and no dairy. So anything after the advent of agriculture (grains, dairy, etc.) is not included in the Paleo diet. Therefore, yes, your creamer is HIGHLY processed!
None of the food that cavemen eat exist anymore. Cows did not exist then, nor did domesticated pigs, or farm hens. These are ALL genetically mutated cross-breeds, created by man during the agricultural age. Tomatoes were very small berries, and bananas had seeds.

In addition, cavemen hunted and scavenged their food. They didn't drive to the supermarket and buy it already butchered and ready to toss on the grill. They also didn't have insulated houses, or cars, or plumbing, or hot water. They had no dentists or surgeons - if they were bit by an animal, they generally died. There were no ambulances in the Paleolithic age.

There's nothing innately "healthy" about the cave-man diet, evidenced by the fact that there was nothing innately healthy about cave-men. They lived *completely* different lives than civilized modern man lives, and their diets reflected their lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss