Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:27 PM

14,576 posts, read 23,135,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
The root "phen" from phentermine is outlawed in the USA because it has shown to cause serious heart problems. I worked for a law firm years ago that specialized in a class action lawsuit against Phen-Fen, and each client underwent echocardiograms to check for heart damage.

In 1997 a friend of mine was looking VERY good after she lost a lot of weight. Turned out she was taking Phen-Fen. That was before the FDA banned it. Last I heard, phentermine products are still legal in parts of Europe. Yes, phentermine is very effective. And horribly dangerous.

Unfortunately, the only safe, tried and true path to weight loss is nutrition and exercise. This always has been the case and always will be.

Of course there is liposuction, gastric bypass surgery, lapbands, etc.

You've just gotta reinvent your food paradigm. Ponder this article: 7 Thoughts to Help You End Your Relationship with Processed Foods I read it a few days ago and it has stuck with me. It's a real paradigm-shifter.
Phentermine is still legal, but it's prescription only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,866,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
The root "phen" from phentermine is outlawed in the USA because it has shown to cause serious heart problems. I worked for a law firm years ago that specialized in a class action lawsuit against Phen-Fen, and each client underwent echocardiograms to check for heart damage.

In 1997 a friend of mine was looking VERY good after she lost a lot of weight. Turned out she was taking Phen-Fen. That was before the FDA banned it. Last I heard, phentermine products are still legal in parts of Europe. Yes, phentermine is very effective. And horribly dangerous.

Unfortunately, the only safe, tried and true path to weight loss is nutrition and exercise. This always has been the case and always will be.

Of course there is liposuction, gastric bypass surgery, lapbands, etc.

You've just gotta reinvent your food paradigm. Ponder this article: 7 Thoughts to Help You End Your Relationship with Processed Foods I read it a few days ago and it has stuck with me. It's a real paradigm-shifter.
You know if you're going to make "factual" statements and then add claims of working for a law firm that specialized in a class action suit about the product, you probably should make sure that your "factual" claims are correct.

Phentermine is not outlawed in the USA. It never was, and it is prescribed legally in this country as a tool against obesity.

Fenfluramine, however, was pulled *voluntarily* by the manufacturers at the FDA's request, when it was discovered that -it- was connected to heart valve problems. The drug you refer to was called Fen-Phen, not Phen-Fen, and that combination is no longer available in the USA - because the Fen part of it - fenfluramine - is no longer legally available in the USA.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:40 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
Sure there are pills that will kill your appetite, but the minute you stop taking them the weight comes back. So what is the point in taking them. EVERYONE fails on pills. If they worked once, but you gained the weight back, then they did not work now did they?

Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Sure there are pills that will kill your appetite, but the minute you stop taking them the weight comes back. So what is the point in taking them. EVERYONE fails on pills. If they worked once, but you gained the weight back, then they did not work now did they?
The weight doesn't come back because they stopped taking pills. The weight comes back because the person returns to the same eating patterns that caused them to gain the weight in the first place.

IMO, the biggest reason diets fail is because people lump losing weight and maintaining weight loss into the same category. Too much focus is put on losing weight, and not enough focus is put on how to prevent gaining weight back once they've lost it. A person can lose weight in a zillion different ways. In fact, many people are highly successful at losing weight. It's maintaining weight loss that most people fail. And in my observations, the common denominator among people who keep it off has nothing to do with the method they used to lose it. It has everything to do with the lifestyle changes they made once they got there.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Sure there are pills that will kill your appetite, but the minute you stop taking them the weight comes back.
Uhh, no. Sorry, there is not some sort of physiological trigger that makes the weight come back when you stop taking a pill. Only a calorie excess can do that.

Quote:
So what is the point in taking them. EVERYONE fails on pills. If they worked once, but you gained the weight back, then they did not work now did they?
First, absolute statements are almost always false. Second, the fact that someone failed to maintain the weight loss has nothing to do with the drugs. Look at it this way: if you stopped changing the oil in your car, eventually your engine is going to blow up. Did the oil fail, or did you fail?

I don't mean to pick on you but acting like there is never, under any circumstances, a point in which diet drugs can be useful is just as disingenuous as the people who act like you can take the drugs, eat like a pig and still lose weight*.

*small exception for high dose DNP

Old 08-01-2015, 07:41 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,527,951 times
There is no such thing as a safe,effective diet pill.

A safe, effective diet pill - the elusive holy grail | Life and style | The Guardian

Old 08-01-2015, 08:11 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,438,340 times
Default Diet pills are a crutch and indicative of a deeper problem

Weight control is a battle with YOURSELF. If you feel that you must take pills, then you can't handle yourself without help from the outside. This makes it a psychological problem. Address that problem, whatever is lowering your ability to control yourself, and you won't need outside help, or pills.

I also haven't heard of one diet pill that didn't have side-effects. Don't do that to yourself. Your beautiful body, the one buried under the fat, deserves better.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Like I said, if there were a diet pill that actually worked it would be front page news and sold everywhere. Oh, and there would be no fat people.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Depends on how you measure "safe". One of the examples listed there (DNP) is about as safe as you can get when taken at reasonable doses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I also haven't heard of one diet pill that didn't have side-effects. Don't do that to yourself. Your beautiful body, the one buried under the fat, deserves better.
Every drug and medication on the market has at least one potential side effect. Are you advocating we stop taking all medicines?

Quote:
Like I said, if there were a diet pill that actually worked it would be front page news and sold everywhere. Oh, and there would be no fat people.
That's a gigantic logical fallacy there. That's like saying that creatine doesn't work because the people who take it don't turn into hulks overnight.

Just curious though, how would you explain the clinical research that clearly shows increased metabolic rates on things like ephedrine and clenbuterol?

Old 08-01-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Depends on how you measure "safe". One of the examples listed there (DNP) is about as safe as you can get when taken at reasonable doses.

Every drug and medication on the market has at least one potential side effect. Are you advocating we stop taking all medicines?

That's a gigantic logical fallacy there. That's like saying that creatine doesn't work because the people who take it don't turn into hulks overnight.

Just curious though, how would you explain the clinical research that clearly shows increased metabolic rates on things like ephedrine and clenbuterol?
There is a reason ephedrine is not legal anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss