Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
That just sounds to me like the usual excuses fat people make about why they eat too much and don't have enough time to exercise.

And that's what they are - excuses.

No-one is THAT busy they can't find time to walk around the block a few times and how complicated does life have to be not to shovel crap into your face day in day out ?
Feel better now?

You know, some people medicate their shortcomings with food. Others medicate their shortcomings by trying to prove they're superior to everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:35 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Feel better now?

You know, some people medicate their shortcomings with food. Others medicate their shortcomings by trying to prove they're superior to everyone else.
Food as medication ? That's a new one.
" Doc,I feel ill. "
" No problem,here's a box of Krispy Kreme donuts. Take one before every meal. "

Old 08-03-2015, 09:39 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Another thing too many people on these forums seem to think is that if you just say, "eat less and move more" over and over and over again, people will eventually lose weight from it. The truth is, every overweight person on the planet has tried to "eat less and move more", and for whatever reason, they can't stick with it. And what's the stupidest thing a person can do? Try the same thing over and over and over again thinking next time it's going to be different?

Trust me. Just because a person is overweight doesn't mean they're a blundering idiot, as some of you like to assume. They pretty much know eating less and exercising is the way to lose weight. It's for a multitude of reasons--all of them unique to each individual--that doing it is difficult, often too difficult to maintain for any length of time. Thus, we have discussions like this on the many different options people have to help them eat less and move more.

But by all means, just keep repeating "eat less and move more" if you feel you must say something and can't think up anything more insightful to offer.
I kind of get what you're saying, but...when I see the bolded above, here is what I think:
They can't stick with it because they haven't been motivated enough to stick with it. They have not found a sustainable way to do this. They can't do it because they're not trying hard enough. They don't want it bad enough. And yes, a small percentage may have a genuine mental/emotional block that needs to be addressed, fully understandable. They may also be in the small percentage of people who have physical issues with their body where just eating less is not conducive to their weight loss.

I don't personally repeat eat less, move more to be a jerk. And I especially purposely say it in a thread like this asking about taking weight loss pills because it needs to get through some people's thick heads. There is no magic pill that will make weight loss easy. I SURELY wish there was! Hard work is required and that's all there is to it.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I kind of get what you're saying, but...when I see the bolded above, here is what I think:
They can't stick with it because they haven't been motivated enough to stick with it. They have not found a sustainable way to do this. They can't do it because they're not trying hard enough. They don't want it bad enough. And yes, a small percentage may have a genuine mental/emotional block that needs to be addressed, fully understandable. They may also be in the small percentage of people who have physical issues with their body where just eating less is not conducive to their weight loss.

I don't personally repeat eat less, move more to be a jerk. And I especially purposely say it in a thread like this asking about taking weight loss pills because it needs to get through some people's thick heads. There is no magic pill that will make weight loss easy. I SURELY wish there was! Hard work is required and that's all there is to it.
Lots of people just aren't motivated enough to lose weight, I completely agree with that. But there are also lots of people who suffer from eating disorders that are no different from anorexia, compulsive gambling, hoarding, compulsive shopping, drug addiction, alcoholism. You can tell a compulsive shopper, "Stop buying things you don't need," or an anorexic, "Just eat." But how helpful do you think that is?

I feel bad for people with eating disorders because they have the unfortunate side effect of having to advertise their emotional issues every time they leave the house. And unlike the hoarder or the compulsive gambler, they have to constantly face the scorn of the uneducated masses who tell them they're just lazy and don't care enough to put the fork down. That's just cruel and unhelpful.

At that same token, I wouldn't encourage anyone to try diet pills. Anyone paying attention will note that I haven't done that on this thread. But sometimes people need to find their own path to recovery. I don't think it's my business to strike that down and keep pointing them in a direction they've already been a hundred times. Now, someone starts a thread asking, "What's the best way to lose weight?" Have at it. But the often worn out mentality on this forum that discussions about alternative weight loss methods must be squashed and discouraged gets infuriating.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:14 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim111 View Post
I quite don't get. Is Phen375 the same as Phentermine or a substitute?
Phen375 is a pill with some OTC supplements in it. It's probably borderline useless and will not have the appetite suppressing effects of real phentermine.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:29 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Phendimetrazine is another appetite suppressant. Generic, been around for at least 40 years. There is now a slow-release brand formula, Bontril SR.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LettheCowgirlsRock View Post
Without going on and on with my life story..Here it is in a nutshell;

I was on Phentermine years ago for weight loss and it REALLY curbed my appetite which I loved. I have heard good things about Phen375 but would like to know if anyone has tried it or knows of anyone that has tried it and has had success on it. I just really need to lose some serious weight and want something that takes my appetite away. I am open to suggestions if you know of any alternatives. Thank you in advance!
Have you ever tried Plexus? I have been using Plexus slim and I am amazed at how it has curbed my appetite and given me energy galore!

Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Okay, listen up. There are no pills that work. None. If there was a pill that worked it would be front page news and sold everywhere.
The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to reduce your caloric intake by eating less and exercising more.
Eat whole, fresh foods. Stay away from simple carbs and sugary foods. Eat lots of fresh veggies and lean proteins. Also do not be afraid of fat.
Have you ever tried Plexus?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:20 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesinagain View Post
Have you ever tried Plexus?

Old 09-03-2015, 11:37 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LettheCowgirlsRock View Post
Without going on and on with my life story..Here it is in a nutshell;

I was on Phentermine years ago for weight loss and it REALLY curbed my appetite which I loved. I have heard good things about Phen375 but would like to know if anyone has tried it or knows of anyone that has tried it and has had success on it. I just really need to lose some serious weight and want something that takes my appetite away. I am open to suggestions if you know of any alternatives. Thank you in advance!
If you need to "lose some serious weight" as you say, then you need to pick up a few books on healthy eating and start working out immediately.

Between this thread that YOU started (and not participating in) and another post where you advised another CD member to go on a "low carb / high fat diet" to lose weight its obvious that you have absolutely ZERO idea of what you are doing and really should not be offering advice to anyone here.

Pills for weight loss dont work. Low carb high fat diet for weight loss wont work. Healthy eating and as vigorous exercise as possible is what WILL work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss