Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,850,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
I agree with this in theory, but it will be more painful to lose weight if you're eating the wrong types of food. The more painful weight loss is, the greater the chance you'll fail at it.
If you have no medical restrictions (such as diabetes or diagnosed food allergies), then there is no such thing as "wrong types" of food, as long as you control your portions. A miniature 3-bite cheesecake is not going to interfere with weight loss, if you are eating mostly lean proteins, minimally processed fruits, vegetables and grains, and mostly avoiding highly processed foods. In fact, if you are doing that, and your total calorie consumption is appropriate for weight loss, then enjoying a twinkie on a Sunday won't interfere with weight loss either. Neither will a slice of pizza for lunch on Wednesday. A whole small pizza, yes, it'll make weight loss more of a challenge. So will eating two twinkies every day for a week. And so will consuming half of a large grocery-store cheesecake with strawberry topping in a single day.

They're only "wrong" if you eat too much of it. How much is too much? However much equals more than the sum of "what you should focus on eating" + "what is bonus food that you -can- eat but shouldn't focus on"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,841,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you have no medical restrictions (such as diabetes or diagnosed food allergies), then there is no such thing as "wrong types" of food, as long as you control your portions. A miniature 3-bite cheesecake is not going to interfere with weight loss, if you are eating mostly lean proteins, minimally processed fruits, vegetables and grains, and mostly avoiding highly processed foods. In fact, if you are doing that, and your total calorie consumption is appropriate for weight loss, then enjoying a twinkie on a Sunday won't interfere with weight loss either. Neither will a slice of pizza for lunch on Wednesday. A whole small pizza, yes, it'll make weight loss more of a challenge. So will eating two twinkies every day for a week. And so will consuming half of a large grocery-store cheesecake with strawberry topping in a single day.

They're only "wrong" if you eat too much of it. How much is too much? However much equals more than the sum of "what you should focus on eating" + "what is bonus food that you -can- eat but shouldn't focus on"
Sounds good in theory but I beg to differ here. For some of us, we cannot eat this kind of food, ever--not if we want to retain our weight loss. A little bite here and there can snowball into a 50 lb weight gain and seemingly overnight b/c those sugary bites are soooo addictive. So yes, if you can keep it to one twinkie on a Saturday night, more power to you, but I can't and find it better to treat the sugar addiction as an alcohol addiction and not eat it ever at all.

I know this b/c I once went 4 whole years w/o consuming added sugar and then I got confident that I could do just what you claimed. I gained back all but 10 lbs and didn't lose it again until again I went completely off sugar, plus some other things I did like keto and fasting. OK, so I did go off the wagon last Xmas day and ate anything and everything I wanted, and then cut it off at bedtime and didn't have any more of that. Not sure if I'll do it at Christmas this year or not because it wasn't quite as much fun as I anticipated.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:19 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,341,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Sounds good in theory but I beg to differ here. For some of us, we cannot eat this kind of food, ever--not if we want to retain our weight loss. A little bite here and there can snowball into a 50 lb weight gain and seemingly overnight b/c those sugary bites are soooo addictive. So yes, if you can keep it to one twinkie on a Saturday night, more power to you, but I can't and find it better to treat the sugar addiction as an alcohol addiction and not eat it ever at all.

I know this b/c I once went 4 whole years w/o consuming added sugar and then I got confident that I could do just what you claimed. I gained back all but 10 lbs and didn't lose it again until again I went completely off sugar, plus some other things I did like keto and fasting. OK, so I did go off the wagon last Xmas day and ate anything and everything I wanted, and then cut it off at bedtime and didn't have any more of that. Not sure if I'll do it at Christmas this year or not because it wasn't quite as much fun as I anticipated.
I agree with you, as my experience is very much the same as yours. Others, however, are never going to grasp that their weight loss philosophy isn't going to work for 100% of the population. It's a weird control thing, I think.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 PM

42,005 posts, read 75,401,765 times
Quote:
If you have no medical restrictions (such as diabetes or diagnosed food allergies), then there is no such thing as "wrong types" of food, as long as you control your portions. A miniature 3-bite cheesecake is not going to interfere with weight loss, if you are eating mostly lean proteins, minimally processed fruits, vegetables and grains, and mostly avoiding highly processed foods. In fact, if you are doing that, and your total calorie consumption is appropriate for weight loss, then enjoying a twinkie on a Sunday won't interfere with weight loss either. Neither will a slice of pizza for lunch on Wednesday.
You're either dismissing or ignoring the fact that many people find sugar and carbs to be extremely addicting. Whatever.

Recognizing the fact that sugar and carbs are addictive substances for some people is an important factor in formulating a food plan that will lead to successful weight loss. The key is to choose foods that satisfy you, so that you won't want to overeat.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,341,248 times
All food is not created equal. From a Pulitzer Prize-Winning investigative reporter: How the food industry manipulates their products to maximize consumption and addictive eating. How The Food Industry Manipulates Taste Buds With 'Salt Sugar Fat' : The Salt : NPR

Or just take the word of an anonymous poster on a web forum.

Though seriously, if that works for you, great. It is always optimal to be able to eat whatever you want, whenever you want. I know lots of alcoholics who would love to have an occasional drink, too. But if that doesn't work for you, instead of trying and failing over and over, you may want to consider that cutting out some food is ultimately easier than trying to moderate your consumption over the long run.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:00 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,954,244 times
Quote:

This is not always true.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:52 AM

17,573 posts, read 39,253,314 times
Quote:

I agree with you and the others who have posted similar to this ^^. The other thing that must be taken into consideration is that very starchy/carby or sugary foods trigger a huge flood of insulin, which is the "make fat" hormone. This is why when people drop carbs from their diets, they usually experience a massive weight loss fairly quickly.

For myself, since diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes, I have learned to restrict my carbs and sugars and now I do not crave them like I used to, once you get used to not having them, you lose the craving. But if you start up again it comes back due to the insulin trigger. Certain foods I have to watch, like I love potato chips, but found I just cannot buy a large bag of those due to their addictive properties. When I have a craving I just go buy a small bag and only do it once in awhile. Very seldom eat cookies, cake etc. only on a very rare occasion, a tiny piece.

Anyway, bottom line, all foods are NOT processed the same in the body, for diabetics and people who want to lose weight, starchy and sugary carbs are the devil.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:26 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,841,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with you and the others who have posted similar to this ^^. The other thing that must be taken into consideration is that very starchy/carby or sugary foods trigger a huge flood of insulin, which is the "make fat" hormone. This is why when people drop carbs from their diets, they usually experience a massive weight loss fairly quickly.

For myself, since diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes, I have learned to restrict my carbs and sugars and now I do not crave them like I used to, once you get used to not having them, you lose the craving. But if you start up again it comes back due to the insulin trigger. Certain foods I have to watch, like I love potato chips, but found I just cannot buy a large bag of those due to their addictive properties. When I have a craving I just go buy a small bag and only do it once in awhile. Very seldom eat cookies, cake etc. only on a very rare occasion, a tiny piece.

Anyway, bottom line, all foods are NOT processed the same in the body, for diabetics and people who want to lose weight, starchy and sugary carbs are the devil.
This is true and I have often wondered this: if you were to get your weight down to the healthiest % of fat for you and your insulin/glucose levels stayed low for a certain time, like at least a couple of years and your liver was completely healthy, could you get away with the occasional treat? I'm not willing to experiment on myself to find out though. Well except maybe X-mas day lol. I'm not even diabetic, but I believe I was well on my way to being so before I lost this weight.

And switching to anon, not to be mean and this really is not a dig, but methinks you do not have your weight down to the healthiest %, as I seem to remember you posted you're in the 150's and you are the same age and height as me. I'm 131 and would still need to get down to 115 before I could consider myself "cured," but I'll still leave that sugar alone. I think the healthiest thing you can do is to keep your insulin level low--not just even, but low and that means cutting out those little bites until you've lost it all. At least don't eat that stuff on an empty stomach.

Oh here's a funny though-- I love potato chips, but I really can stop after just a few--I've had to throw away a half bag of them before. It's the sweet I crave. Now popcorn though. . . but corn has a lot of sugar.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,850,467 times
Quote:

A twinkie will not make you gain weight. Many twinkies will. If you feel you're not capable of eating one, then don't eat one. But that is your choice, because no one is shoving that twinkie into your mouth. That's what I mean. The bite of twinkie doesn't snowball into a 50 pound weight gain. Your choice to give into your addiction is what causes it. I agree, not everyone can say no to more than one of this or that particular thing. We all have our weaknesses. I have a few - Wurther's Originals are one, Ruffles potato chips are another. But I also know that eating one won't cause me to gain weight. I make the decision to have that one, knowing that there's a whole bag of them in the drawer, and knowing that there's no way in the world I'll eat just that one and not grab a fistful when no one's looking. That is my -choice-. To eat that first one, or to not eat it. It is my choice that causes the weight gain. Not that first candy, or that first potato chip.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:27 PM

380 posts, read 654,855 times
Quote:

I think we mostly agree. My point was it's harder to control portions when you're eating calorie-dense foods. If I eat 1,000 calories of oil, it's going to do a lot less to assuage my hunger than 1,000 calories of potatoes. Being hungry sucks and causes people to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss