Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:17 PM

348 posts, read 372,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I thought it was weight gain that causes insulin resistance and diabetes, not the other way around.
Yep. It all starts be eating too much of the wrong stuff. No "disease" or "metabolic damage" or "inflammation" or "addiction" or whatever is in vogue these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
Yep. It all starts be eating too much of the wrong stuff. No "disease" or "metabolic damage" or "inflammation" or "addiction" or whatever is in vogue these days.
Oh good lord, would you all please educate yourselves on diabetes before continuing to spread misleading information? It is not "caused by" diet or weight.

From the American Diabetes Association: Diabetes Myths: American Diabetes Association®

If you read nothing else in the article, please at least read this:

Quote:
Myth: If you are overweight or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetes

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:36 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskins View Post

Cut a leg off.
A little bit at a time?

Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I lost about 25 pounds from May 15, 2015 through today with very little exercise (trouble walking without the aid of a cane for several weeks, and even without the cane, pain in my legs - from my neuropathy - keeps me pretty slow.)

I had already begun serious eating changes prior to that start date, but adjustments to my probiotic intake and a change to vegetable salads 3 times a day helped a lot.

PS I'm 6'0" and weighed roughly 270 in 2012, when I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It has been a long journey to get to the 176-179 range that I have remained in these past two weeks. I eat meat and eggs once in a while, but I get my protein mainly from beans mixed into my salads.

You're young, and 40 lbs in a couple of months should be easily doable, particularly being healthy and all.
Congratulations on your weight loss and thank you for your words!

Old 08-10-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermolee View Post
I exercise for 1 hour for at least 6 days a week. Eat healthy, more fruits and salads. you can add hibiscus tea in your schedule. Hibiscus tea helps to loose weight. Researchers found that hibiscus extract consumption could reduce obesity and abdominal fat, and improve liver damage in obese individuals.
Im googling "where to find hibiscus tea" right now

Old 08-10-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Learning new things and encouragement is good

I just had a "fat" weekend....but I allow for a few pound fluctuations. Through the week, I try to follow more of what I should be doing. I don't beat myself up, nor give up. I am still human, and have cravings.

I have switched or completely stopped consuming a few foods. "White" sugar seems to make my arthritis inflamed. So I stopped it back in 2013. I can tell when I eat something processed anymore. It messes me up immediately.

I push fluids. Most days I drink up to 72 oz of plain water. I count milk and juices as food calories.

I have so far lost 55 pounds since last November. It feels good to fit in smaller clothes. I went from size 22 down to 14-16 womens.
wow, you lost a lot! Congratulations!!!

I really should follow you in the water thing. I used to drink a lot of water, but, since i live with my boyfriend, he is a "soda"kind of guy (you know, coke, sprite, fanta, etc) and, even if we only drink the "zero calorie" type, im guessing that isnt good for me, and i should drink more water.
I ve gain weight since living with my bf, and i guess it is because of the sodas.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
The point is still valid: Insulin resistance and diabetes don't cause obesity. Obesity is one (of several) causes of insulin resistance and diabetes. You're right - not all overweight people will become diabetic. That is certainly a myth. However, it is also true that if you are overweight, you are at high risk for diabetes. Meaning - if you are genetically disposed to diabetes, AND you are overweight, you are going to be much more likely to become diabetic, than if you were genetically disposed to diabetes, and you are not overweight.

Being genetically disposed to a thing doesn't mean you will absolutely 100% for sure get it. It just means you fall into the "at risk" category. You can do things to either prevent or delay onset - and being physically fit is one thing that can delay or even prevent diabetes type II. It's not a guarantee. But why shoot yourself in the foot if you have a hangnail? Don't get obese and if you are, lose some weight, if you know you are already at risk for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, or any other obesity-related illness.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:01 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im googling "where to find hibiscus tea" right now
Hope this is facetious, because if surfing the Internet has taught us nothing else, it's that all talk of tea (or any other random substance) helping weight loss is the exact same thing as what comes out of male cow's butt.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Ok, so i decided i need to do something. I ve been very tall and slim all my life, but, since i turned 26 (7 years ago), my metabolism changed, and i started, very slowly and steadily, to gain weight. The weight gain was so slow and steady and, since im tall and
So, for the first time in my life, at 33, im gonna start to do something to actually lose weight. My first step was to acomodate my schedule so i can walk back and forth to places i have to be, so ill actually arranged to walk at least 4 miles a day EVERY DAY, except weekends. I started today with no problem, and will continue tomorrow and so on. Im taking care of what i eat (me and my boyfriend live together and he is trying to eat healthy too -eventhough he is thin, he did grew a small belly since we are together). We cook everything from scratch and started eating very healthy last week, and now im gonna add all the walking everyday.

Would that be enough to lose 20 pounds in 4 months? Thats really all i wanna lose, and then ill keep doing what i do to mantain the weight, but im not looking to be "super thin" again, or the weight i was when i was 24, i just wanna lose 20 pounds, and with that result ill be normal weight, and much more comfortable in my skin and clothes. Plus more healthy.

Any advice? any success story? I appreciate any help.
"Walk here walk there" is just a way to avoid doing what you really need to do. 30 lbs is very doable. Often less than 3 months, btw. Here's how I did it (same age as you; same number of pounds)..... [FYI, My cousin has been "walking" like miles, for like 15+ years. I saw her a few months ago. Sophie, she's as big as a house and wears a mumu. Is that what you want? Then go ahead "walk." It "worked" for her, eh? If not, read on:]

Decide to do it starting tomorrow (pick a low stress day, or several days of low stress, even better - remember you're gonna throw out maybe $20 worth of food in the trash)

Go through the refrigerator and cupboards and toss anything you will not be eating for the next three + months (no: pasta, pizza, chips, sugar sweetened beverages, stuff like that). Back off on sugary fruits - best eaten 20 to 30 minutes before your workout. A banana is perfect. Also drink a glass of water at that time.

No alcohol AT ALL for at least three months (go on the wagon - no exceptions; no wine, no beer - nahdah)

Plan on: [your ideal weight X 10 - (150 - 300)** ] cals per day as your absolute maximum caloric intake. Learn to add this up mentally. Don't make a big issue out of it. Just mentally estimate. Learn what foods will accomplish this without feeling deprived. Avoid complex carbs! Bad stuff if you're overweight. Not for you!

(**) if over 200 lbs, the limit is 1800 cals/day no matter the calculation - that's a lot of food.

Treadmill. This is how you really lose weight. "Walking" doesn't work. Get one or go somewhere where they have one. Jog on a fixed route, uninterruptedly if that suits you, but get a good pedometer.

Plan ahead: You will donate 1 full hour a day, 3 - 4 times a week, to a treadmill (hey, it's not forever). Prepare yourself (have stuff to occupy your mind for this one hour period if you need to)

Begin by starting slowly - your first goal is to find out how long it takes for you to break a sweat. This can take anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes - depends on your fitness state. THEN...
3 mph, 0% incline UNINTERRUPED for as long as you can keep it up to start. (Maybe 3.5 mph for you; you're taller than me). Whatever gives you a constant even rhythm. Never try to jack up the speed - especially early on. You'll get exhausted and quit. Going too fast is the no. 1 mistake people make on a treadmill. You are burning calories - not training for track - always remember that. You burn very few more cals / minute at 5 mph as you do at 3.5 mph. And remember - you are going to have to keep up the speed for like almost 60 minutes eventually - the uninterrupted time you spend on that treadmill is what counts; not how fast you go.

You will work toward a session where you will UNINTERRUPTEDLY go for 45 minutes after you break a sweat. That onset of sweat tells you that your body has entered a state of oxidative metabolism and this is where calorie burning really starts. To lose thirty pounds, about 45 to 50 minutes three or four times a week will do - as long as you maintain the dietary rules. You can increase the incline little by little, but stay at that tolerable speed. It might take a week or two to start doing that. Decrease the incline if you start getting too fatigued. Uninterrupted time periods are what count. Why?

Uninterrupted workout at 3.5 mph leads to increased oxidative metabolism post workout in a non-linear fashion:
20 minutes - 15 minutes*
30 minutes - 40 minutes
45 minutes - 1.5 hour
60 minutes - 2.5 hours

*you are burning calories big time even long after you've gotten off the treadmill. Remember uninterrupted TIME - not SPEED are what count.

Drink at least 8 oz of water post workout. At whatever rate you want to. You'll need that water. (wring out your tee shirt post workout - you'll see what I mean)

You'll be slim as you want, maybe in less than three months. You'll even continue to lose weight and like me, think you got the big "C" or something. Imagine all those duds you'll be able to wear.

I went from 175 lbs to 138 in three months, and my waist went from almost 36 to 32" in less than three months. Within 2 weeks I was actually looking forward to the workout. "Just the right amount of challenge and a reward" I figured. Met the man of my life 3 months and 5 days after I started - without even trying! This dude was like all over me. I couldn't beg for a date when I started that workout.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 08-11-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
TwinbrookNine, how long have you been successful at maintaining your weight at or below 138?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss