Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:08 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
beef has a high fat content that. Is that ok? I didnt know carrots was bad, I just heard the old saying "munch on carrots if you feel like snacking"
What kind of diet are you trying to follow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I have been super strict with the food I eat. I was cooking chow mein (my sons love them) for my kids and out of curiosity read the label. It has 77 grams of carbs per 5 oz. I didnt know this and before I would devour everything I wanted disregarding the nutrition label. No wonder I have always failed to keep the weight off.
If you make chicken chow mein from scratch you can substitute xanthum gum for cornstarch (use 1/3 of the amount of xanthum gum) and serve with noodles for the husband/kids and without noodles for you. It's not that difficult to make from scratch.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 PM

586 posts, read 831,570 times
Im following low carb and watching out for the fat content too.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:43 PM

I dont care too much for chow mein, I am fine eating brown rice if I crave noodles/rice.

Its funny because a few months back I was whining about having to get rid of white rice. My doctor said I needed to AT LEAST switch to brown rice if I wanted to eat rice at all, adn I was thinking I couldnt do it and cant stand the texture of brown rice. Now almost a month later, I wont eat anything except brown rice and stay away from most things that are "white" (rice, pasta, noodles etc). Yesterday I was cooking white rice for my family and I was starving, normally I wouldnt care and would eat the white rice but this time I refrained and was like "nah, I'll wait for the brown rice" and thats when I knew I finally was able to make the change.

Last edited by conlainhothuong; 08-20-2015 at 06:30 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 06:32 PM

the weight is also dropping off, like WOW and I am still eating my protein, drinking sugar free drinks (most I'll drink is crystal light if I really want something sweet) overall im satisfying my hunger without feeling deprived. I am so used to these eatign habits that I cant wait see more changes physically.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I dont care too much for chow mein, I am fine eating brown rice if I crave noodles/rice.

Its funny because a few months back I was whining about having to get rid of white rice. My doctor said I needed to AT LEAST switch to brown rice if I wanted to eat rice at all, adn I was thinking I couldnt do it and cant stand the texture of brown rice. Now almost a month later, I wont eat anything except brown rice and stay away from most things that are "white" (rice, pasta, noodles etc). Yesterday I was cooking white rice for my family and I was starving, normally I wouldnt care and would eat the white rice but this time I refrained and was like "nah, I'll wait for the brown rice" and thats when I knew I finally was able to make the change.
Well if you want to eat low carb you should skip the rice altogether. Do you know what foods have carbs? How many grams of carbs are you eating each day?

When you eat low carb you don't really have to worry about the fat content of food. Low carb works best when you vary your protein sources. This week we have had chicken, beef, and lamb for dinner. Tomorrow we will have fish. It can get boring if all you eat is chicken and lettuce.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:51 PM

Its hard to go cold turkey regarding the rice really. I dont eat it every day probably once a week or maybe even less. I generally eat salads, turkey, chicken, try to limit beef because they say red meat is not that good, and fish. If I am REALLY wanting to eat rice, then I opt for brown rice instead which is at least better than white. Its one of those situations where people would tell you "if you REALLY want to eat that, eat this instead"

Even so, I only eat a few spoonfuls and limit my carbs to 50 - 60 grams per day.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:17 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Ohhh I feel for you. It IS harder to lose weight when you don't have total control over your environment. And it IS hard to practice willpower when you're hungry and stuck in the kitchen.

A couple ideas you might try: Ease up on the low fat. Low fat diets can leave you hungry all the time and make it harder to practice self-control. Also try eating your own meal first, or if you're eating the same meal but trying to cut down on portions, fill up first on something lower calorie but filling, like a low carb protein bar with a large glass of water. If you do that while cooking, ideally about 20 minutes before it's time to sit down and eat, you'll go to the table less hungry and have an easier time eating a smaller portion.

I don't disagree with people who say weight loss is about self-control and "mind over matter", but the truth is, people aren't robots that can just flip a switch. There are things you can do to make self-control much easier to maintain over the long run. You just need to keep experimenting. Stop doing the things that aren't helping (like eating carrots), and look for other low calorie options that will leave you more satisfied. They're out there!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Ohhh I feel for you. It IS harder to lose weight when you don't have total control over your environment. And it IS hard to practice willpower when you're hungry and stuck in the kitchen.

A couple ideas you might try: Ease up on the low fat. Low fat diets can leave you hungry all the time and make it harder to practice self-control. Also try eating your own meal first, or if you're eating the same meal but trying to cut down on portions, fill up first on something lower calorie but filling, like a low carb protein bar with a large glass of water. If you do that while cooking, ideally about 20 minutes before it's time to sit down and eat, you'll go to the table less hungry and have an easier time eating a smaller portion.

I don't disagree with people who say weight loss is about self-control and "mind over matter", but the truth is, people aren't robots that can just flip a switch. There are things you can do to make self-control much easier to maintain over the long run. You just need to keep experimenting. Stop doing the things that aren't helping (like eating carrots), and look for other low calorie options that will leave you more satisfied. They're out there!
Thanks. It gets better and better every day. Almost 2 weeks in, and I am used to the routine. We went out to eat on a Saturday. I didnt know when it was so I checked my bank statement since we used our card and it was almost 2 weeks ago on the 8th. That has been my last time eating out since. I told my husband that I am not interested in eating out anymore until my weight stabilizes and I lose a significant amount of weight. A simple salad at the restaurant can easily be 600 calories. He's been supportive by ordering take out instead of dining in, that way I dont have to eat.

I've lost 6 lbs already in nearly 2 weeks (tomorrow will be 2 weeks).

Old 08-21-2015, 02:56 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Thanks. It gets better and better every day. Almost 2 weeks in, and I am used to the routine. We went out to eat on a Saturday. I didnt know when it was so I checked my bank statement since we used our card and it was almost 2 weeks ago on the 8th. That has been my last time eating out since. I told my husband that I am not interested in eating out anymore until my weight stabilizes and I lose a significant amount of weight. A simple salad at the restaurant can easily be 600 calories. He's been supportive by ordering take out instead of dining in, that way I dont have to eat.

I've lost 6 lbs already in nearly 2 weeks (tomorrow will be 2 weeks).
Those are great results! Congratulations!

Of course, it depends on what restaurants you go to, but I actually prefer dining out. It makes it easier for me to have something lighter. Restaurants like Outback Steak House are great because they put the calories right on the menu. Hubby can have a burger, kid can have a steak and I can have salmon with a side of steamed vegetables, all without having to cook three meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss