Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 PM

586 posts, read 832,286 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

havent been on this section of the forum for awhile. Weight loss is still going well, although I still have a long ways to go. I dropped one pant size though lol. So I have another matter that I am trying to seek advice for. I am the only fat person in the house. My husband and 2 sons are both stick figures so they NEED to eat. In fact, I always try to find ways to help fatten up my two guys since they are super tiny to the point of being mal nourished. Anyways, point is, they are tiny people and are entitled to eat whereas I need to avoid the food that they do eat.

I am the only person who cooks though. Husband works a demanding job (has to be on his feet the entire day running around) so when he comes home he is hungry and can eat like a horse. He likes the same food that I like so he asks me to cook it for him and the kids. Husband mostly likes beef whereas I am trying to eat lean protein, so last week I didnt touch any of the food I made and this week too.

Let me just say, I was drooling after I got done cooking though because of the smell and munching on carrots while I was across the room watching him eat. ITS SO SAD! I dont think I would have a problem eating it much later down the road (when I am closer to my ideal weight) as long as it is in moderation, but right now I am trying to lose weight as fast (and as safe) as I could, so I dont want to eat the kinds of food that he eats.

Is there anyway to help me feeling less miserable and survive the next 6 months or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 05:43 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
There's nothing to survive. I cook it, I serve it, we eat it. It's macaroni and meatballs, I make it every Sunday. He gets a full plate. I get one whole meatball, a single serving-spoon of ziti, the rest of my plate has wild field greens salad with a couple tablespoons of dressing (whatever I feel like making that day), and a couple slices of garlic bread to sop up the sauce and extra dressing. He drinks Pepsi, I drink water.

I reject deprivation diets.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Hi guys,

havent been on this section of the forum for awhile. Weight loss is still going well, although I still have a long ways to go. I dropped one pant size though lol. So I have another matter that I am trying to seek advice for. I am the only fat person in the house. My husband and 2 sons are both stick figures so they NEED to eat. In fact, I always try to find ways to help fatten up my two guys since they are super tiny to the point of being mal nourished. Anyways, point is, they are tiny people and are entitled to eat whereas I need to avoid the food that they do eat.

I am the only person who cooks though. Husband works a demanding job (has to be on his feet the entire day running around) so when he comes home he is hungry and can eat like a horse. He likes the same food that I like so he asks me to cook it for him and the kids. Husband mostly likes beef whereas I am trying to eat lean protein, so last week I didnt touch any of the food I made and this week too.

Let me just say, I was drooling after I got done cooking though because of the smell and munching on carrots while I was across the room watching him eat. ITS SO SAD! I dont think I would have a problem eating it much later down the road (when I am closer to my ideal weight) as long as it is in moderation, but right now I am trying to lose weight as fast (and as safe) as I could, so I dont want to eat the kinds of food that he eats.

Is there anyway to help me feeling less miserable and survive the next 6 months or so?
This is all about your mindset. You have chosen a new way of eating--no one is imposing it on you. When you refrain from consuming all the extra calories you are exercising your choice and your will to bring about positive changes for yourself. It's not sad at all--it's a sign that you are making good things happen for you. I understand that it's difficult, especially at first. But it will get easier. It may help to do something cheesy like write down affirmations before you begin to cook and watch him eat and read them to yourself. Something like, "I am choosing to eat A,B and C tonight rather than X,Y and Z because it moves me down the road to my goal of losing XXX pounds. I can eat anything I want, and I want to eat A,B and C."

Also, every two or three weeks or so, go ahead and have X,Y and Z with your husband. Plan for it and plan what you're going to eat for the next day too, so it's not a slide into bingeing. Then enjoy the meal and don't feel guilty about it.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:24 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,704 times
When I cook yummy/fattening food for my son, I take a bite here and there. He makes 4 pieces of bacon, I get 1/2 to one piece, etc.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:04 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
I just don't make it. I make food we can all enjoy/eat. I will up the calories for my family by adding fats like olive oil, cheese, etc....

Typically I make grilled meat, steamed veggies, salad, and a carbohydrate. I either skip the carb or take a small portion depending on what it is.

If it's a casserole I make half low calorie and the other half full calorie. Same pan but different meals essentially. (Add more veggies on half and more protein/cheese/etc...on the other side)

Old 08-19-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I just don't make it. I make food we can all enjoy/eat. I will up the calories for my family by adding fats like olive oil, cheese, etc....

Typically I make grilled meat, steamed veggies, salad, and a carbohydrate. I either skip the carb or take a small portion depending on what it is.

If it's a casserole I make half low calorie and the other half full calorie. Same pan but different meals essentially. (Add more veggies on half and more protein/cheese/etc...on the other side)
Thats what I thought, but what if its the husband who is requesting those foods? He works a demanding job so I cant refuse if he wants to eat a little nice. I can always say no, but that would mean he'll just find a way to make it/get it himself which still comes down to the same conclusion.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-20-2015 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 08-19-2015, 06:13 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
My husband works a very demanding job too, with long hours and high pressure. He also knows I need to get healthy.

If he really wanted something like pizza or something pretty unhealthy I might make it and then I eat earlier and then get busy while he eats. There is no way I am smelling and watching him eat something I really want to eat. Maybe make it and he eats it while you have a low calorie girls night. (Even the movies or just shopping)

Old 08-20-2015, 03:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Hi guys,

Feeling miserable (or not) is a choice. I know it sounds simple but you have to fake it until you make it. You have to feel good about choosing health for yourself. Only you can make it happen.

If I recall correctly you were trying to eat low carb. On a low carb eating plan you should be able to eat beef and you might want to lay off the carrots (high in carbs).

Right now you are choosing to feel miserable. You should be rejoicing over your smaller pants. Go buy yourself something pretty in your new (smaller) size. It's ok to reward yourself for successes to help keep you motivated.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Feeling miserable (or not) is a choice. I know it sounds simple but you have to fake it until you make it. You have to feel good about choosing health for yourself. Only you can make it happen.

If I recall correctly you were trying to eat low carb. On a low carb eating plan you should be able to eat beef and you might want to lay off the carrots (high in carbs).

Right now you are choosing to feel miserable. You should be rejoicing over your smaller pants. Go buy yourself something pretty in your new (smaller) size. It's ok to reward yourself for successes to help keep you motivated.
beef has a high fat content that. Is that ok? I didnt know carrots was bad, I just heard the old saying "munch on carrots if you feel like snacking"

Old 08-20-2015, 04:05 PM

I have been super strict with the food I eat. I was cooking chow mein (my sons love them) for my kids and out of curiosity read the label. It has 77 grams of carbs per 5 oz. I didnt know this and before I would devour everything I wanted disregarding the nutrition label. No wonder I have always failed to keep the weight off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss