Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 04:23 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,585 times

Advertisements

I'm in the midst of Day One of trying to drink water all day, but I'm not counting the ounces or anything. I ate out twice yesterday, AND pigged out on ice cream (hey one of those days, what can I say), and the scale was not kind today. I have such a hard time drinking water, it does not sound good to me at all, and I usually scoff at drinking it, but I'm thinking it might really help me get this water weight off me in the next couple days.

Will it??? (and of course I will stop eating like a pig)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 04:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,954 times
You'll be more likely to stop eating like a pig if you stick to water - simply because you don't like it. That's good!

Never EVER guzzle those 32 and 64 oz soft drinks through those wide bore straws! That is a sure way to get your stomach stretched out so that only a mass quantity of anything is required for you to feel sated. I'm convinced that those mega drinks (and mega quantities at restaurants) are contributing to this epidemic of fatsos. I know this because years ago, despite my petite 5'5" frame at about 150 lbs, I could eat more food in one sitting than anybody I knew. Try like one extra lg pizza (no sharing); a whole box of pasta in one sitting; or 10 White Castles and a large fry (then sniffing around for yet more to eat). When I eventually blew up to 175 pounds I started dieting and tread milling. I got down to 135, but the hardest part was avoiding those binges. Fortunately, just getting older took care of that. Today 2 pcs of pizza is enuff; maybe 4 'Castles at most, and I no longer touch pasta because there is simply no stopping there (and pasta is poison if you want to keep your weight down - unless you're digging ditches 70 hours a week), far as I'm concerned. Right now I'm at 152 and that's because I have a nasty episode of sciatica and am not moving around - like for 4 months. But I eat like a bird these days so "watching my weight" is no longer an obsession.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:18 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I'm in the midst of Day One of trying to drink water all day, but I'm not counting the ounces or anything. I ate out twice yesterday, AND pigged out on ice cream (hey one of those days, what can I say), and the scale was not kind today. I have such a hard time drinking water, it does not sound good to me at all, and I usually scoff at drinking it, but I'm thinking it might really help me get this water weight off me in the next couple days.

Why do you assume you have water weight? And why does it need to go away?
Water will not flush away a day of bad choices, but I think you know that.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:30 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Really hate to say this..but Water is NOT a weight loss program..Water is something all body's need..after all your body is actually 45-75% of your body fluids..so yes does need replacement..But many forget..IF more water is taken in..the faster the kidney's can FLUSH the system of toxins..build ups etc...

There should be no such thing as a "Water Diet" as your body needs far more sustenance..such as protein, certain ( complex) carbohydrates, calories ( NOT empty ones), along with electrolytes ( thus athletes nourish themselves during high activity and sweating)...So best you cut back on empty high calorie foods and at the very least WALK!!

Exercise does NOT have to be exhaustive..but movement is necessary..Once you realize which area's need attention..then work specific to that area when exercising..but overall your body needs nourishment of Beneficial nutrients..Empty calories and Junk food are like a slow poison that one's body can only handle for short periods....Fine to pig out once in a while..BUT more often??? Yikes you are asking for trouble!!

Old 09-25-2015, 08:53 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Really hate to say this..but Water is NOT a weight loss program..Water is something all body's need..after all your body is actually 45-75% of your body fluids..so yes does need replacement..But many forget..IF more water is taken in..the faster the kidney's can FLUSH the system of toxins..build ups etc...

There should be no such thing as a "Water Diet" as your body needs far more sustenance..such as protein, certain ( complex) carbohydrates, calories ( NOT empty ones), along with electrolytes ( thus athletes nourish themselves during high activity and sweating)...So best you cut back on empty high calorie foods and at the very least WALK!!

Exercise does NOT have to be exhaustive..but movement is necessary..Once you realize which area's need attention..then work specific to that area when exercising..but overall your body needs nourishment of Beneficial nutrients..Empty calories and Junk food are like a slow poison that one's body can only handle for short periods....Fine to pig out once in a while..BUT more often??? Yikes you are asking for trouble!!
Thank you. I do walk. Walked 5 miles last weekend, and about 37 miles this month.
Simply wanted to know if drinking water will help move a couple of pounds of water weight out.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

Increased water intake without salt intake can induce diuresis. Beer works too. I've done it, and you can lose 5 - 10 lbs in a day or so, under certain circumstances by imbibing mass quantities of water (or beer; lite pilsner is best). The diuresis can "overshoot" the physiologic needs and you'll enjoy a couple days of a slimmer you. However, it can often backfire. Once your water loss exceeds the homeostatic norm, you'll hold water for the next few days, and gain all the weight back.

Women used to use this method to fit into that bridemaid's dress that no longer fit by the date of the wedding.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:

No matter what you ate you couldn't have gained a few pounds of fat in one day. If whatever you ate was salty you may be retaining a bit of water. That water will flush out of your system naturally. It will flush out a bit faster if you drink more water but I don't think you need to make yourself crazy over drinking water.

FWIW I eat out almost every day and I have been successful in losing weight. The key is to make the right choices when you eat out and to stay away from fast food places.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:05 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
If you are dieting, the water will help you pee out the fat. If you are not, then all the hype about drinking a bunch of water is a bit overhyped. Most people get plenty of fluid by the foods they eat, and by responding to their natural thirst.
Since I am on a diet, I really notice the difference if I get in at least 3 glasses a day. You can put a bit of sugar free flavoring in your water if you want. I happen to love ice cold water, though.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:28 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times
Quote:
Thank you. I do walk. Walked 5 miles last weekend, and about 37 miles this month.
Simply wanted to know if drinking water will help move a couple of pounds of water weight out.
I have always heard water flushes out salt which causes us to retain water. So while it's counter-intuitive to think that drinking water will reduce water weight, it can. I make myself drink 64 oz of plain water every day. I find that it prevents big swings in my weight on the scale, so mentally, it's a good thing for me. It's also healthy to stay hydrated in general.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:48 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
My friend told me she asked her doctor how she could stop waking up in the middle of the night. He told her she was waking up because she was dehydrated, and that she should drink 12 oz of water before going to bed. She didn't think this would help and was afraid she'd wake up because she had to go to the bathroom.
It totally worked though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss