Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:11 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Trying to loose weight and been struggling. Really need a way to motivate me to watch what I eat. I eat healthy, but eat large quantities which isn't great. Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:23 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Trying to loose weight and been struggling. Really need a way to motivate me to watch what I eat. I eat healthy, but eat large quantities which isn't great. Appreciate the feedback.
When you are trying to LOSE weight, you should focus on your caloric intake. In order to l o s e weight, you need to take in a certain number of calories that is appropriate for your body. I can l o s e weight by taking in approximately 1400 calories a day. This is because my 5'0, 163-lb., 48 year old body requires approximately 1300 calories just to be alive and I burn approximately 400 calories walking around and working, etc. So I need to eat under 1700 calories in order to lose weight.

Is it easy? No. Do I need to eat clean and get rid of processed foods and sugars in order to stay in that calorie range? Absolutely. If you are a total newbie at losing weight, I think Weight Watchers is good idea to get started. If you already have a knowledge of what you should be doing, but just have a tough time doing it, I don't know if they can help you. If it makes it "fun" for you, then go for it.

If you just totally love food and that's your issue, you've GOT to figure out a way to love being thinner over loving food. One always wins out, it's up to you which ONE.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:27 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Losing weight is 99% mental. If and when you are ready to make the commitment you will have to make some sacrifices and lifestyle changes. I am a huge advocate of WW. The reason being it teaches you how to eat in any situation. You learn about food choices, portions and if you go to the meetings, which I recommend, a support system. Plus getting weighed in every week is huge motivator for me.
WW is not the only way to do it, you may choose to limit your carb consumption and lots of people here have success with that approach.
You have to find out what is going to work for you. It may be trial and error at first, but if you stick with it, you will find your way. I am not saying this to scare you off, but weight loss is hard. It is also the most rewarding thing you can do for yourself. Explore your options and good luck.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:49 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
I absolutely think Weight Watchers is worth the money. They will help you identify what foods are ruining your diet, help you understand what "moderation" is, and depending on how good a meeting you can find, you get a lot of support and advice from others.

If you wanted to go it alone first, you could try SparkPeople.com which has a food tracking tool very similar to WW, but you won't get the consult from any professionals in the field, or helpful advice on getting through trigger situations like parties and holidays.

I think even if folks only do WW for a few months, you will get something from it. Personally, I think it's where anyone needing to lose more than 25lbs should start as a way to learn the basics of diet and nutrition.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:06 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Losing weight is 99% mental. If and when you are ready to make the commitment you will have to make some sacrifices and lifestyle changes. I am a huge advocate of WW. The reason being it teaches you how to eat in any situation. You learn about food choices, portions and if you go to the meetings, which I recommend, a support system. Plus getting weighed in every week is huge motivator for me.
WW is not the only way to do it, you may choose to limit your carb consumption and lots of people here have success with that approach.
You have to find out what is going to work for you. It may be trial and error at first, but if you stick with it, you will find your way. I am not saying this to scare you off, but weight loss is hard. It is also the most rewarding thing you can do for yourself. Explore your options and good luck.
I say start taking that Alli pill.. The one that if you eat more than 15g of fat will basically cause you to crap your pants.

That would be good motivation to eat better..lol

But.. I totally agree with you about the mental part. You have to want it and be willing to put the work required in. To me.. I don't care what you eat, so long as the total calories are less than what your body needs for the day. You want to eat 2 Big Mac's a day? Fine by me.. That's about 1080 calories.. If that's all you eat, and you exercise.. You probably will lose about 2.5 lbs a week.

You want to eat a 200 calorie breakfast, lunch and dinner and 4 bananas a day? That is about the exact same calorie count as the 2 Big Mac's and would probably be easier (and, well, yeah, better for you since you'd have far less fat grams).. But, same difference, you'll probably lose about 2.5 lbs a week.

You can lose weight eating fast food.. But, you have to be smart about it. I was going to sub out my normal Chick-Fil-A garden salad with a grilled chicken salad from Zaxby's while they're remodeling my CFA.. Looked up that salad nutrition info at Zaxby's.. CFA's garden salad (with grilled chicken) is 200 calories and 5g of fat. Zaxby's is 570 with 27.5 grams of fat. Ok.. So, maybe I go to Moe's and get a salad there.. 740 calories and 41g of fat. Applebee's Fiesta Chicken Salad.. 840 calories, 44g of fat. The closest I can find, and I don't know how it compares size-wise (CFA's salad is huge) is actually McDonalds Premium Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad.. 330 calories and 11g of fat.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:27 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Fat is not the enemy so the Ally-crap your pants pill is pointless. And where as I agree its all about calorie consumption, the quality of the food one eats matters greatly. It is very important to avoid fast food, pre packaged food, simple carbs (pastries, cookies, breads made with refined grains) and sugary foods. You will get a lot more milage out of whole fresh foods, lots of veggies, lean proteins, whole grains and good fats such as nuts, avocados, olive oil, fatty fish.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:30 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
If you want to LOSE weight so your clothing becomes LOOSE and you will follow the program it is a very good program that is worth the cost.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:01 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you want to LOSE weight so your clothing becomes LOOSE and you will follow the program it is a very good program that is worth the cost.

End of thread.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I say start taking that Alli pill.. The one that if you eat more than 15g of fat will basically cause you to crap your pants.

That would be good motivation to eat better..lol

But.. I totally agree with you about the mental part. You have to want it and be willing to put the work required in. To me.. I don't care what you eat, so long as the total calories are less than what your body needs for the day. You want to eat 2 Big Mac's a day? Fine by me.. That's about 1080 calories.. If that's all you eat, and you exercise.. You probably will lose about 2.5 lbs a week.

You want to eat a 200 calorie breakfast, lunch and dinner and 4 bananas a day? That is about the exact same calorie count as the 2 Big Mac's and would probably be easier (and, well, yeah, better for you since you'd have far less fat grams).. But, same difference, you'll probably lose about 2.5 lbs a week.

You can lose weight eating fast food.. But, you have to be smart about it. I was going to sub out my normal Chick-Fil-A garden salad with a grilled chicken salad from Zaxby's while they're remodeling my CFA.. Looked up that salad nutrition info at Zaxby's.. CFA's garden salad (with grilled chicken) is 200 calories and 5g of fat. Zaxby's is 570 with 27.5 grams of fat. Ok.. So, maybe I go to Moe's and get a salad there.. 740 calories and 41g of fat. Applebee's Fiesta Chicken Salad.. 840 calories, 44g of fat. The closest I can find, and I don't know how it compares size-wise (CFA's salad is huge) is actually McDonalds Premium Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad.. 330 calories and 11g of fat.
You could always make your own salad.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:15 AM

287 posts, read 363,449 times
I've lost 55 pounds of fat and put on 15 pounds of muscle in the past 8 months. Most success I've ever since I became obese. I did weight watchers last year, I found it to be less than worthless. Several people there lost over 200 pounds, but it was the same 20 pounds 10 times. Its not about dieting or losing weight, its about getting healthy. Its a combination of eating right, exercising (almost no way around this, you have to do it) and making sure you get the right nutrients. Diet alone may help you lose weight, but you won't get healthy without exercise. I HIGHLY recommend looking into the Bill Phillip's Transformation program, it has an extremely high success rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss