Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 06:27 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Get checked by a doctor. You might have conditions that slow down your weight loss. Depending on findings, your doctor can recommend diet that will fit your needs.
Generally - eat less than you burn. Don't let your body starve. Get good hydration (water!). Don't eat fried and processed food. Don't eat lot and late at night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 09:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
For me it's carbs...sweets, bread, pasta, rice...I eliminate those and I lose weight. Different people need different things though, and also your age may determine what you can eat and still lose weight. When I was younger, I could just limit my calories and I'd lose weight, but as I've gotten older, that doesn't work for me anymore.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:27 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Do you think I should sign up for a diet program like Nutri-System?

I only eat once a day so I tend to gorge myself. I think I need structure and healthy foods chosen by experts cause I am totally clueless.
No and do not sign up for something that you are not going to follow the rest of your life.
Eating one time a day is bad, good healthy meals and snacks. A program like Weight Watchers is good and has been good for years. Just do not start using the frozen over processed products sold as Weight Watchers brand. Use real food that you prepare from the market.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Avoid bread, pasta, potatoes and sugar. Add vegetables and varied sources of protein (meat, poultry, eggs, fish).

Cook your own food from ingredients (not boxes) most of the time.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:35 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
I eat just about everything: fast food, ice cream, pizza, fried chicken, beef jerky, ramen noodles, cupcakes, cookies, soda, juice, etc., which is probably why I am not losing any weight even though I run 7-10 miles a day.

So what are specific foods I need to avoid to lose weight?

Or is it just about limiting calories and doesn't matter what food I eat?
Calories in vs. calories out.

If you are a distance runner you definitely should be eating bread, pasta, potatoes and other high carbohydrate foods.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 PM

380 posts, read 652,500 times
Avoid all animal products and alcohol. Also avoid added oils. You WILL lose weight.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
I eat just about everything: fast food, ice cream, pizza, fried chicken, beef jerky, ramen noodles, cupcakes, cookies, soda, juice, etc., which is probably why I am not losing any weight even though I run 7-10 miles a day.

So what are specific foods I need to avoid to lose weight?

Or is it just about limiting calories and doesn't matter what food I eat?
You just listed foods to avoid. I'll presume you also have no set rules about what you eat when you eat or how much you eat.
While at the moment you maybe running 10 miles a day the diet you've listed will ultimately have you confronting obesity and most probably diabetes related issues.
If losing weight is a priority you need to discover what a balanced diet is.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:33 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You just listed foods to avoid. I'll presume you also have no set rules about what you eat when you eat or how much you eat.
While at the moment you maybe running 10 miles a day the diet you've listed will ultimately have you confronting obesity and most probably diabetes related issues.
If losing weight is a priority you need to discover what a balanced diet is.
Exactly!!!

Its why I thought the OP's post was all just a joke. That and the fact that he hasnt participated in this thread that that started made me think that he has no intention really of curtailing his diet so that he can lose weight and/or improve his health/fitness.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:25 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
When I was losing weight, I stayed away from nothing.

I did, however, count and log all of my calories, which meant I ate out less during that time. Unless the calorie information was available for me, I wouldn't know my intake. So I would approximate based on some research, add on a few and rounded up. But days like those would be my "off" days, meaning I maybe had a day a month where I ate whatever I wanted. Exercise all you want but if you are eating even 5,000 calories in "healthy" foods per day, you're going to gain weight unless you are burning off thousands of calories per day over your maintenance calories.

I also made sure I didn't buy and have in the house big packages of anything. Salt n vinegar chips---I can eat an entire bag like nothing, so I made sure if I wanted them, I only bought the small bag. I also tried to avoid soda on most days.

Count your calories! You have no idea how much you are eating.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:12 AM

5 posts, read 4,131 times
None, just avoid large or medium portions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss