Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 04:54 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Do you think I should sign up for a diet program like Nutri-System?

I only eat once a day so I tend to gorge myself. I think I need structure and healthy foods chosen by experts cause I am totally clueless.

Clueless? You think the things you are eating are better for you than whole foods?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 08:33 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Actually,eating once a day is called Intermittent fasting,and it has worked for plenty of people.

Everyone cant do the 6 small meals a day due to work issues.

It works for lots of folks,depending on lifestyle.

I have not seen any research with strong evidence that weight loss depends on the time of day you stop eating,like when people say no eating after 8pm.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:45 AM

45 posts, read 83,892 times
I didn't cut any foods out during my weight loss. I had pizza once a week, cake, candy, ice cream etc. once in a while.

I had to teach myself portion control and stop eating when I was full. Also I learned that eating 5 - 6 times a day set me up to overeat because I was never satisfied and was always thinking about my next mini-meal.

I intermittent fast naturally. I'm not hungry in the mornings and I trained myself to stop eating after dinner since night time snacking was a problem for me. Within my eating window I eat what I want (combined into 2 - 3 larger meals), but I am very aware of the calories I consume. Also I pre-plan meals in advance to be able to fit things in.

However, I did stop drinking calories. No soda, juice or alcohol. I do make a homemade smoothie daily and hot chocolate and lemonade once in a while, but other then that I'm a water and unsweetened tea girl. Sounds boring, but in the past almost half of my days calories went towards drinkable calories. Now I happily use those calories towards food!

Works well for me and I've kept the weight off for a couple of years now.

Last edited by SunnySide99; 12-26-2015 at 05:54 AM..

Old 12-26-2015, 03:29 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Eat the foods you like in moderation. As long as you stay in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

Try joining My Fitness Pal to log your food. It will give you a calorie target to lose.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:44 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,897 times
Sugar, starches, and breads save for whole grain but even that is used sparingly. My biggest issue was that I loved bread to a fault. I cut out pastas for now since I'm not bulking up, but I was eating sandwiches and toast frequently and was actually gaining weight. Most breads (white and wheat) in stores also have sugar packed into them, which is bad if you're trying to burn fat.

Only time I consume sugar and starches are cheat days, but I don't go crazy with them. The holidays were my biggest challenge yet. And if I eat something and feel a bit guilty I do some HIIT a bit later to try and burn it off.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:39 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Cut out most sugar, especially Coke, Pepsi, etc. Drink water! Cut down your portion sizes. If you get hungry between meals, eat celery and carrot sticks, or even those 80-calorie cheese sticks. It takes conscious effort, and dieting should always be paired with exercise, but it does work. If you have something you don't want to give up, work around it. My "never give it up" is a cup of coffee every morning, loaded with half and half, and sugar.

Generally, you need to do this for a month to six weeks before you see any noticeable results. After a week, you'll be grumpy and irritable and ready to quit because you haven't seen instant results. Don't quit! If you lose between 1.5 and 2 lbs per week, which is considered a healthy rate of weight loss, at the end of six weeks you will have lost between 9-12 lbs, which will then encourage you to keep going.

I've never believed in Jenny Craig or other manufactured food diets, because you can't live on their food forever! At some point you have to go back into "real world eating", and then you're in trouble. By the way, restaurants are the kiss of death to a healthy diet. Most of the portion sizes are huge (they can feed four people!) and the calories in most dishes are enough to meet your entire daily intake, and sometimes more. I went to Olive Garden once and struggled to find something I could eat. I had to settle for the salmon and broccoli, and even that wasn't great.

Also, there is no such thing as a "cheat day" unless you want to undo all of your hard work. You can have a bit of whatever it is you're craving - a sample of that ice cream you can't pass up, or a nibble of that chocolate chip cookie, but otherwise you're just being tempted to go back to your old eating habits and inviting the weight to go right back on.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 780 times
instead of thinking about what you should never it, I think it is better to think about what you want to eat that help you lose weight and have a good health. and that are
1. Vegetables and fruit
2. eggs, milk, meat (especially meat from fish) and lean protein in moderation
3. beans and bulp of any kind like potato or sweet potato

Old 01-04-2016, 03:04 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
White flour, white rice.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:18 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,515 times
Wow, lots of crazy ideas in this thread.

Weight loss is all about numbers. Part of the problem is just eating less; watching portion sizes and cutting out mindless snacking when you're not even hungry. The other part is what you eat. Fat has 9 calories/gram, carbohydrates and protein both 4 calories/gram. Water and fiber are zero. So the most effective way to lose weight is to cut out fatty foods from your diet and eat more foods that are high in water and fiber.... like vegetables, but also things like soup and hot cereal that will fill you up without being packed with calories.

Humans have pretty much evolved to eat a staple diet based on starchy carbohydrates; wheat, rice, maize, potatoes, taro, yams, etc. There's nothing wrong with eating these foods in moderation when you're trying to lose weight. OTOH, sugar and alcohol are pretty much empty calories, plus many sweets are high in fat too (ice cream, donuts, cookies, muffins, pie, ...) so you get a double whammy from eating them.

One tip I have for cutting back on fat is to look at how the foods you eat are prepared and served, and not just the foods themselves. E.g. fried chicken is loaded with fat, but grilled chicken breast is fine. Ditto with french fries vs baked potato, as long as you don't load it up with butter, cheese, and/or sour cream. (Try salt/pepper and butter-flavor sprinkles instead.) Gravies and sauces are typically high in fat too. Likewise with mayonnaise and salad dressings, unless you are careful to only buy the fat-free varieties.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Wow, lots of crazy ideas in this thread.

Weight loss is all about numbers. Part of the problem is just eating less; watching portion sizes and cutting out mindless snacking when you're not even hungry. The other part is what you eat. Fat has 9 calories/gram, carbohydrates and protein both 4 calories/gram. Water and fiber are zero. So the most effective way to lose weight is to cut out fatty foods from your diet and eat more foods that are high in water and fiber.... like vegetables, but also things like soup and hot cereal that will fill you up without being packed with calories.

Humans have pretty much evolved to eat a staple diet based on starchy carbohydrates; wheat, rice, maize, potatoes, taro, yams, etc. There's nothing wrong with eating these foods in moderation when you're trying to lose weight. OTOH, sugar and alcohol are pretty much empty calories, plus many sweets are high in fat too (ice cream, donuts, cookies, muffins, pie, ...) so you get a double whammy from eating them.

One tip I have for cutting back on fat is to look at how the foods you eat are prepared and served, and not just the foods themselves. E.g. fried chicken is loaded with fat, but grilled chicken breast is fine. Ditto with french fries vs baked potato, as long as you don't load it up with butter, cheese, and/or sour cream. (Try salt/pepper and butter-flavor sprinkles instead.) Gravies and sauces are typically high in fat too. Likewise with mayonnaise and salad dressings, unless you are careful to only buy the fat-free varieties.

Latest I've heard and believe is to not be afraid of fat. And absolutely don't buy that fat-free garbage in any form. That just means more sugar added so it will taste good since the fat was taken out!

Do not be afraid of olive oil, avocados, nuts, nut butters, stuff like that. I am not afraid of full-fat cheeses, sour cream, etc. Eat those in moderation. Our brains need fat and the right fats are filling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss