Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:30 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eascoaswing View Post
I just set up a My Fitness Pal and we ate the CHristmas leftovers today. I'm ready! My son is ready to start walking with me down the street but there's snow on the ground in El Paso right now so tomorrow it loos like I'll just be cleaning house and making everyone miserable..

You can't walk outside with snow on the ground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 05:19 PM

196 posts, read 175,312 times
I can and did today. I just got some tennis shoes for walking this weekend. I packed really light to move out here so most of my shoes are in storage 1900 miles away.

I also cut the dinner portions by half last night and no one griped.. LOL I still only ate celery with peanut butter because I wasn't feeling good.

Tonight I'm baking chicken and having brusselsprouts. No carbs. I'm the only one who doesn't like the sprouts but I'm gonna eat 'em anyway.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Quote:
I can and did today. I just got some tennis shoes for walking this weekend. I packed really light to move out here so most of my shoes are in storage 1900 miles away.

I also cut the dinner portions by half last night and no one griped.. LOL I still only ate celery with peanut butter because I wasn't feeling good.

Tonight I'm baking chicken and having brusselsprouts. No carbs. I'm the only one who doesn't like the sprouts but I'm gonna eat 'em anyway.
Brussels sprouts get the majority of calories from carbs

Old 12-30-2015, 09:31 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Brussels sprouts get the majority of calories from carbs
Well they're good carbs. She probably meant she's cutting down on bad carbs like white bread, sugar and anything refined.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Well they're good carbs. She probably meant she's cutting down on bad carbs like white bread, sugar and anything refined.

That's the plan.. Fewer processed foods. We tried making chicken tenders today with as little breading as possible; but enough that it still tasted good. I have always hated the ones you get that are 90% bread.
They were good, but fried.

Salads three days in a row. Lots of water, portion control. I'm glad there's nothing sweet here but a few pieces of dark chocolate left over from Christmas.

I've started compiling a shopping list that doesn't include any junk but doesn't starve everyone. I feel fine but I've not tightened up on the guys too hard yet. They haven't asked for soda yet, but I know it's coming.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:38 PM

Well, it's been three weeks or so and the one thing I know for sure is that I'm VERY good at maintaining my weight. I tried the changes in the house but I'm the only one walking and I've not lost any weight.

Looks like I might be moving to California in a few weeks and I'm so miserable living here that I could sleep on the street but hey, at least I learned to like water.

I have more pressing issues than my weight.. Like my "step-son" stealing my childs Christmas money for dope or the fact that my old man is basically keeping me around to punish me for leaving him a two years ago. My son is just as miserable as I am we are beginning to hate this. I just keep telling him to hang in there until we can figure out how I'm going to support us both with no job and no child support anymore because his father is a bum who only cares about beer.

If stress fat is legit; I'm the poster child for it.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:32 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Sometimes I believe we can over-think our eating style.

Weight loss from diets doesn't work for long unless eating for life changes.

Why not simply:

-- eat lots more salads, greens, steamed veggies (fills you up with bulk and nutrients, have low calories),

-- eat lots more beans, less cheese, fatty meats

-- cut down on white carbs (bread, rolls, pastries, doughnuts)

-- drink mostly water (no sodas or other high sugar beverages)

-- increase your exercise

--ditch fried foods, fast foods and eat whole foods.

Pizzas and cheeseburgers & fries & sodas are not your friends
Beer and other alcoholic drinks have calories and count, too

This is not a diet..it's a way to eat for the rest of your life!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Well, it's been three weeks or so and the one thing I know for sure is that I'm VERY good at maintaining my weight. I tried the changes in the house but I'm the only one walking and I've not lost any weight.

Looks like I might be moving to California in a few weeks and I'm so miserable living here that I could sleep on the street but hey, at least I learned to like water.

I have more pressing issues than my weight.. Like my "step-son" stealing my childs Christmas money for dope or the fact that my old man is basically keeping me around to punish me for leaving him a two years ago. My son is just as miserable as I am we are beginning to hate this. I just keep telling him to hang in there until we can figure out how I'm going to support us both with no job and no child support anymore because his father is a bum who only cares about beer.

If stress fat is legit; I'm the poster child for it.
I believe stress is a large contributor to weight gain. Here is my suggestion once you get to California, and of course you can start now. Get into an exercise routine. Even if is just walking around the block. Exercise is the greatest stress reliever there is. It is your time, and your time alone. As you get more fit make it more challenging. From walking start running. You can get away from it all for a little bit each day to concentrate on yourself. It will be a great stress reliever. From there you can start making healthier food choices. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate so go easy on yourself for now as far as diet goes.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:01 PM

380 posts, read 652,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Sometimes I believe we can over-think our eating style.

Weight loss from diets doesn't work for long unless eating for life changes.

Why not simply:

-- eat lots more salads, greens, steamed veggies (fills you up with bulk and nutrients, have low calories),

-- eat lots more beans, less cheese, fatty meats

-- cut down on white carbs (bread, rolls, pastries, doughnuts)

-- drink mostly water (no sodas or other high sugar beverages)

-- increase your exercise

--ditch fried foods, fast foods and eat whole foods.

Pizzas and cheeseburgers & fries & sodas are not your friends
Beer and other alcoholic drinks have calories and count, too

This is not a diet..it's a way to eat for the rest of your life!
That is outstanding advice.

When people ask me how I lost my weight, I tell them: No animal products, no alcohol, and no added oils. This isn't a "diet" -- it's just how I eat.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:59 PM

605 posts, read 704,938 times
I commend you for beginning your lifestyle change.

I also encourage you to start a food journal (My Fitness Pal works great for me, and I've been logging diligently for a year now). My 2 cents: the more drastic a change you make, the less likely you'll stick to it. It's better to make manageable changes that you will maintain than go hog wild with things like cutting out ALL carbs, or skipping meals (I don't recommend doing either). The previous posters have given great advice. A nutritionist has explained it to me that, if you want to increase your metabolism, imagine your body as a SMALL fire (a previous poster used "furnace" - same thing), keep the fire burning (eat more often), but keep the fire burning small (control portions).

Please keep posting and let us know of your progress! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss