Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:41 AM

196 posts, read 175,363 times

Advertisements

I'm just going to start with the info suggested in the sticky thread up top.

Current stats- age 40. height 5'6" and weight 220. Bodyfat percentage--Two online calculators indicate that it's 30% but my arms, legs and neck have stayed pretty much the same and my midsection keeps getting fatter so I didn't fall into the obese category even though my weight does on the BMI chart which says my BMI is 36 so I don't know how accurate any of it is.

Gender - Female

Goals - Lose @ 50-60 pounds and I don't care how long it takes. I want to feel better.

Current diet - Nothing but coffee for the first two hours I'm up. I don't eat before noon. If I have breakfast at all it's small, something like wheat toast with peanut butter or a boiled egg and an orange. For lunch I either skip it or eat out if I'm in town and I generally cook dinner and we eat between 7 and 9 pm. Pickles are my weakness. I eat them on everything. I tend to be a picker and my meals could consist of a plate with one bite of ten different things. Dinner is between 6-7 here and I live with three big men so it's big men meals.

Exercise - Since I quit working. NONE. I walk to the laundry room. I didn't exercise much before but I did have two jobs that kept me busy and 2 acres of yard to maintain.

Supplements - None.

Health Issues - I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and arthritis in my hip and right hand. My back hurts constantly. In 2004 I had three surgeries, on my abdomen and I haven't felt right since. I had another one last winter. I have had a headache for the better part of my adult life. I have some rather severe female issues and really severe migraines. I have problems with my feet from working on concrete floors for so long. I have nerve damage in my neck and the left side of my face. I have insomnia. I am claustrophobic and have anxiety and panic attacks. This is the short list.

I want to lose at least a little weight because I think it might help with some of these issues. I've never been on a diet before. Managing my weight has never been an issue. I've been my current weight for 8 years. Prior to that I was @175. Prior to that I was @ 150. I gained the weight fast and it stuck after each child. I think if lost 20 that would be awesome. I was 260 in 2002 and I did lost those 40 pounds but it took years and nothing since then. I'm only fat in my stomach. I want to say I have always been that way, even when I was younger and half this size I had the belly fat.

I know HOW a person is supposed to lose it. Caloric deficit, exercise, water, water, sleep. Routine. I'm not good with routine. I don't have a good memory. I used to be a pretty good artist but over the last few years I've lost that too. My hands aren't steady. I'm literally falling apart. My mood is just awful all the time and I hate everything. I used to be so active and motivated, now I'm a slug and if this post sounds in good spirits you should have seen me ten years ago when actually felt good. LOL

I live with three hog heads who are all even bigger than I am. My old man's son eats enough for 4 or 5 people. My own son has gotten chubby this year and I can't have that. My hubby is 6' and weighs 255 but he's always been a lifter and a runner and just put on 25 this year during his "pre-retirement wind down". I honestly don't think I eat too badly. I eat better than these three by leaps and bounds. I'm never alone here and hardly ever leave the house so I don't know when I'm supposed to get any exercise. I brought my yoga stuff but I can't do it when there's people around. I have never known anyone that I could work on this with and I don't know if I could even bring myself to walk around the block without it hurting or becoming anxious.

I know I feel better when I move some. Lying around hurts just at bad and shoveling dirt all day. Maybe I can start loosening up with yoga in the walk-in closet until we move to the next town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 08:53 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
First of all, don't use the D word. Lifestyle change -- that's where it's at. That way you can count on it "sticking" and lasting. Otherwise, you'll be doing the D word for the rest of your life on and off, and "suffering."

Lemme look at your current eating regime:
Current diet - Nothing but coffee for the first two hours I'm up. I don't eat before noon. If I have breakfast at all it's small, something like wheat toast with peanut butter or a boiled egg and an orange. For lunch I either skip it or eat out if I'm in town and I generally cook dinner and we eat between 7 and 9 pm. Pickles are my weakness. I eat them on everything. I tend to be a picker and my meals could consist of a plate with one bite of ten different things. Dinner is between 6-7 here and I live with three big men so it's big men meals.

I also usually only have coffee the first two hours, just because food doesn't sound good. But we both probably should take a nice long drink of water as well. With cucumber, lemon, whatever suits your fancy. I would say kick breakfast up a notch. Remember, you need to stoke your metabolism up like a furnace and keep it going all day. Burn baby, burn. Just being alive you might be burning around 1800 calories or more, you'll have to check your BMR for your height and age. Walk around a little and that throws a few more calories in there. So say you burn around 2400 calories per day. So you just gotta shoot to eat a little less than that. So kick up that breakfast - have 2 eggs, cooked in coconut oil or olive oil. Don't skip lunch! Keep that furnace burning! Have a protein + fat + carb. Sandwich! For dinner, just watch your portions and make wise choices. Drink water throughout the day.

But remember -- lifestyle change. Forever. Get it done and then you won't have to be "dieting" every January 1.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Start a food journal writing down every single thing you eat. It will then become apparent where improvements can be made to reach your objectives. be honest with yourself and you may discover that you are eating a lot more stuff than you think you are.. .Ultimately you may want to see a dietitian or nutritionist to revamp your diet.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:45 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
A few things...losing weight fast may make the anxiety and panic attacks worse. Go slowly.

Have you had blood work done to check for thyroid issues or diabetes? Do you take meds for the arthritis, anxiety, female troubles, etc? Some medications can cause weight gain...my doc likes to put me on Provera for female troubles but I gain 5lbs a week when I'm taking it.

You can lose weight without exercise, if you have to. Exercise firms things up and makes you feel better, but you can lose weight without exercise if you're physically unable to exercise. If your back and feet hurt too much for walking, there are seated workouts you can find on youtube or other websites. Just put a chair in front of the TV and you're ready to go.

Personally, the only way I can lose weight is to track the foods that I eat every day. There are websites and phone apps that make tracking pretty easy.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:50 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Improved eating habits will help you out, but in your situation, it sounds like the thing that will probably help you the most is starting some kind of physical activity program. Here are some resources that you might want check out to help you out:

How to Start Exercising When You're Already Overweight

Fitness 101: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Exercise

Fitness programs: 5 steps to get started - Mayo Clinic

Old 12-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
First of all, don't use the D word. Lifestyle change -- that's where it's at. That way you can count on it "sticking" and lasting. Otherwise, you'll be doing the D word for the rest of your life on and off, and "suffering."

I also usually only have coffee the first two hours, just because food doesn't sound good. But we both probably should take a nice long drink of water as well. With cucumber, lemon, whatever suits your fancy. I would say kick breakfast up a notch. Remember, you need to stoke your metabolism up like a furnace and keep it going all day. Burn baby, burn. Just being alive you might be burning around 1800 calories or more, you'll have to check your BMR for your height and age. Walk around a little and that throws a few more calories in there. So say you burn around 2400 calories per day. So you just gotta shoot to eat a little less than that. So kick up that breakfast - have 2 eggs, cooked in coconut oil or olive oil. Don't skip lunch! Keep that furnace burning! Have a protein + fat + carb. Sandwich! For dinner, just watch your portions and make wise choices. Drink water throughout the day.

But remember -- lifestyle change. Forever. Get it done and then you won't have to be "dieting" every January 1.
No D word, CHECK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Start a food journal writing down every single thing you eat. It will then become apparent where improvements can be made to reach your objectives. be honest with yourself and you may discover that you are eating a lot more stuff than you think you are.. .Ultimately you may want to see a dietitian or nutritionist to revamp your diet.
Ooh, I'm gonna hate this part. Homework. I don't think I can see a nutritionist just now because I haven't been in Texas long enough to see a doctor(besides a visit to the ER) and I won't be ehre but maybe a month so I can't count on making appointments I can keep. I'm just trying to hold out on getting sick until I get moved again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
A few things...losing weight fast may make the anxiety and panic attacks worse. Go slowly.
This is why I'm in no hurry. I have to test every medication I take, every change I make to my routine because anything can trigger a migraine for me then the migraines trigger anxiety attacks. I can't express how stressful it is to be a grown woman and be so out of control of yourself over a headache that you go blind and lose control of your bladder in public while projectile vomiting and you aren't even lucid enough to tell anyone what's wrong or what your name is. I've been like that for over 20 years.
Have you had blood work done to check for thyroid issues or diabetes? Do you take meds for the arthritis, anxiety, female troubles, etc? Some medications can cause weight gain...my doc likes to put me on Provera for female troubles but I gain 5lbs a week when I'm taking it.
Thyroid has been checked multiple times and with my history of diabetes they always check that too. I don't take anything stronger than a Tylonol3 if I'm not having a migraine and opiates don't work on migraine pain. I've had serious female issue all my life. I have about a dozen Klonopin left and I won't get more unless I'm made to. I don't like having that too readily available because it could become a crutch.
You can lose weight without exercise, if you have to. Exercise firms things up and makes you feel better, but you can lose weight without exercise if you're physically unable to exercise. If your back and feet hurt too much for walking, there are seated workouts you can find on youtube or other websites. Just put a chair in front of the TV and you're ready to go.
I'm going to contact the physical therapist I was seen by last year and ask if I can get a copy of the regimen I did before. It helped.
Personally, the only way I can lose weight is to track the foods that I eat every day. There are websites and phone apps that make tracking pretty easy.
I just set up a My Fitness Pal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Improved eating habits will help you out, but in your situation, it sounds like the thing that will probably help you the most is starting some kind of physical activity program. Here are some resources that you might want check out to help you out:

How to Start Exercising When You're Already Overweight

Fitness 101: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Exercise

Fitness programs: 5 steps to get started - Mayo Clinic
Cool, I wouldn't say I was a beginner exactly. I used to be in great shape even for a big girl and I can out kayak my muscle head boyfriend if tries to be cocky. LOL I went down hill fast sitting at a desk for 7 years and having all this crap come up on me one after another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbrits View Post
Hey. I've been what they call 'fat' my whole adolesent life. And it's tough. People mocking and stuff. One day i just like you decided that's enough. So i started from a small esy self invented diet. It wasn't as hard as it seemed. But later hunger was becoming more and more severe and i found it hard to resist chicken or french fried during evening hours. Later saw one of my friends talking some medications called phen 375. They killed hunger. But again, i've never tried anything else, so... But for 1st stages im sure it'll do just fine for you
THANK YOU MR.SPAMMER. I'll BE SURE TO RUN RIGHT OUT AND BUY THOSE BABIES!
Hey, thanks people. Now I just gotta convince everyone else in this house that I'm not cooking four pounds of meat for dinner anymore.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:38 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote: Hey, thanks people. Now I just gotta convince everyone else in this house that I'm not cooking four pounds of meat for dinner anymore.

You'll have to learn to cook for them as normal unless they agree to changing their eating habits also,
and learn to just eat for YOU.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:41 PM

They can eat what I cook. I'm not cooking twice. The one that will whine is the one that eats enough for 4 or 5 people and I'm not beholden to do anything for him. He's over 18 and has a job. I provide the food, I Shop for the food and I cook the food.

Eat it or wear it.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:45 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Try My Fitness Pal to log your foods. It will give you a calorie goal.

If you want to start exercising you could try starting out with the Leslie Sansone videos called "Walk Away the Pounds." Some are available on YouTube. You can even do them in your bedroom with a laptop.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Try My Fitness Pal to log your foods. It will give you a calorie goal.

If you want to start exercising you could try starting out with the Leslie Sansone videos called "Walk Away the Pounds." Some are available on YouTube. You can even do them in your bedroom with a laptop.

I just set up a My Fitness Pal and we ate the CHristmas leftovers today. I'm ready! My son is ready to start walking with me down the street but there's snow on the ground in El Paso right now so tomorrow it loos like I'll just be cleaning house and making everyone miserable..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss