Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM

698 posts, read 990,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
We need more info.
Thanks for your willingness to look this over:

Current stats- Male, 48, 5'10", current weight 250 lbs (as of this morning I'm down 18.5 lbs in four weeks). Sedentary job, 10 hours a day behind desk.

Goals - Lose 50 lbs in the next 4 months

Current diet - Diet WAS (as of two days ago) two fresh juices a day, two healthy snacks and one healthy meal. Diet TODAY one 16 oz juice as a meal, one green smoothie (base being almond milk, protein powder, non-fat Greek yogurt) with spinach and one fruit, healthy dinner (e.g. grilled chicken or fish, brown rice and veggies) 1/2 juice for a snack and one healthy snack. Drink minimum 10 glasses of water a day. One "cheat" meal a week.

Target calories on workout days 2,050, non-workout days 1,590. 50% carbs/30% protein/20% fat goal per day.

Exercise - 35 minutes of cardio typically elliptical keeping heart rate in 65% range for optimal fat burning, 20 minutes mid-difficulty weight training 5 days a week. Also thinking about walking for 20 - 30 minutes each morning on my home treadmill to start off my day, nothing intense, maybe about 2.5 - 3 mph just to start the day off right.

Supplements - Sprouts brand natural whey protein once a day in my smoothie.

Health Issues - High blood pressure (25 mg metoprolol a day), polycystic kidney disease

Last edited by qingguy; 02-02-2016 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:45 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,679,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Thanks for your willingness to look this over:

Current stats- Male, 48, 5'10", current weight 250 lbs (as of this morning I'm down 18.5 lbs in four weeks). Sedentary job, 10 hours a day behind desk.

Goals - Lose 50 lbs in the next 4 months

Current diet - Diet WAS (as of two days ago) two fresh juices a day, two healthy snacks and one healthy meal. Diet TODAY one 16 oz juice as a meal, one green smoothie (base being almond milk, protein powder, non-fat Greek yogurt) with spinach and one fruit, healthy dinner (e.g. grilled chicken or fish, brown rice and veggies) 1/2 juice for a snack and one healthy snack. Drink minimum 10 glasses of water a day. One "cheat" meal a week.

Target calories on workout days 2,050, non-workout days 1,590. 50% carbs/30% protein/20% fat goal per day.

Exercise - 35 minutes of cardio typically elliptical keeping heart rate in 65% range for optimal fat burning, 20 minutes mid-difficulty weight training 5 days a week. Also thinking about walking for 20 - 30 minutes each morning on my home treadmill to start off my day, nothing intense, maybe about 2.5 - 3 mph just to start the day off right.

Supplements - Sprouts brand natural whey protein once a day in my smoothie.

Health Issues - High blood pressure (25 mg metoprolol a day), polycystic kidney disease
Get rid of the rice, fruit, juice, and low fat yogurt. No snacks. One cheat meal per week throws you off track.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:03 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,574,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Get rid of the rice, fruit, juice, and low fat yogurt. No snacks. One cheat meal per week throws you off track.
And others will say not giving yourself a cheat meal will throw you off. Just figure out your BMR and go from there.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
You are only getting 3.5 grams of fiber from a cup of long grain brown rice. You need a minimum of 25 grams of fiber daily. Real vegetables are a great way to get that fiber. Stop juicing and eat your vegetables. It really will help, not just with weight loss, but with overall health.
Just checked my daily fiber intake for the past three weeks (after I stopped juice fast) and it's averaging about 18-20 grams, so I'm not hitting my 25. Here's my dilemma, IF I eat "real" vegetables and fruit to get my fiber, I won't eat enough to get my daily dose of recommend fruit and veggie servings 5 - 13 depending on what you subscribe to, there's jus no way I will. However, with a juice and a green smoothie I can. My green juice contains kale or spinach, 1 cucumber, 2 celery stalks, 1 green apple, 1/2 lemon and a small piece of ginger. A green smoothie will contain spinach and fruit. Just read raspberries and blueberries are high in fiber, in-fact I think one had 7 grams per 1/2 cup, about what I put into a smoothie. So, the dilemma is eat more "real" fruits and veggies to get fiber but I would never reach the recommended daily servings for fruits and vegetables OR juice and green smoothie, add a berry and maybe some nuts or avocado to get to 25 grams of fiber per day. For me, the later seems to work better. Is there anything wrong with my logic since I wouldn't eat 5 - 13 servings of fruits and vegetables a day?

Quote:
Mind if I ask why you would throw out brown rice, fruit, fresh homemade juice (see above for ingredients), non-fat Greek yogurt and healthy snacks like carrots, almonds and walnuts in measured servings between meals? Remember, I'm trying to get my calories up to about 2,050 a day. What would you suggest replacing these with?

If sugars are a concern on the fruit and juice, I've only exceeded 50 grams of sugar one day out of the last three weeks. This is what MyFitnessPal is saying I need per day, is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
And others will say not giving yourself a cheat meal will throw you off. Just figure out your BMR and go from there.
Cheat meal is misnomer; for instance, my cheat meal last week was sushi, raw fish, mostly rolls without rice. Cheat meal week before was 6 oz of prime rib, 1/2 baked potato, green beans and a salad with regular blue cheese dressing rather than fat free dressing or oil and vinegar that I would typically use. No pizza, burgers, nachos etc. for my "cheat meal".

NOTE: Due to the PKD my nephrologist has recommend I not do diets high in protein.

Last edited by qingguy; 02-02-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 01:12 PM

Mind if I ask why you would throw out brown rice, fruit, fresh homemade juice (see above for ingredients), non-fat Greek yogurt and healthy snacks like carrots, almonds and walnuts in measured servings between meals? Remember, I'm trying to get my calories up to about 2,050 a day. What would you suggest replacing these with?

If sugars are a concern on the fruit and juice, I've only exceeded 50 grams of sugar one day out of the last three weeks. This is what MyFitnessPal is saying I need per day, is this correct?

If you are trying to get your calories up to 2,050 a day by eating too many carbs and too much sugar, you won't drop another 50 pounds. If you are eating non fat yogurt, the manufacturer will add more sugar to compensate for lack of taste, not healthy. Walnuts and almonds are a healthy choice along with avocados all healthy fats, but ditch the carob chips. Try less carbs, less sugar, and more healthy fat and protein.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,277,480 times
Quote:
Just checked my daily fiber intake for the past three weeks (after I stopped juice fast) and it's averaging about 18-20 grams, so I'm not hitting my 25. Here's my dilemma, IF I eat "real" vegetables and fruit to get my fiber, I won't eat enough to get my daily dose of recommend fruit and veggie servings 5 - 13 depending on what you subscribe to, there's jus no way I will. However, with a juice and a green smoothie I can. My green juice contains kale or spinach, 1 cucumber, 2 celery stalks, 1 green apple, 1/2 lemon and a small piece of ginger. A green smoothie will contain spinach and fruit. Just read raspberries and blueberries are high in fiber, in-fact I think one had 7 grams per 1/2 cup, about what I put into a smoothie. So, the dilemma is eat more "real" fruits and veggies to get fiber but I would never reach the recommended daily servings for fruits and vegetables OR juice and green smoothie, add a berry and maybe some nuts or avocado to get to 25 grams of fiber per day. For me, the later seems to work better. Is there anything wrong with my logic since I wouldn't eat 5 - 13 servings of fruits and vegetables a day?
I don't get why you are counting just the juice as a serving of vegetables.

Does drinking your fruit and veggies count? - Health - Diet and nutrition - Nutrition Notes | NBC News

Here Are 10 Pictures of Your Daily Recommended Servings of Fruits & Vegetables

Even though the juice counts as a serving, you aren't getting the fiber and antioxidants from the skin and flesh. It's a matter of better health.

Quote:
NOTE: Due to the PKD my nephrologist has recommend I not do diets high in protein.
How much protein does your nephrologist recommend you consume?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,842,188 times
50 pounds in 4 months is aggressive, IMO. If you were 400 going to 350, sure, but 250 to 200 after already losing ~20... I'd shoot more for 25-30 pounds so as not to get discouraged...

Personally, I'd focus less on juicing x number of veggies per day and focus more on CICO overall. I'd actually not really worry about fiber as well.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
If you are trying to get your calories up to 2,050 a day by eating too many carbs and too much sugar, you won't drop another 50 pounds. If you are eating non fat yogurt, the manufacturer will add more sugar to compensate for lack of taste, not healthy. Walnuts and almonds are a healthy choice along with avocados all healthy fats, but ditch the carob chips. Try less carbs, less sugar, and more healthy fat and protein.
No, not trying to get my calories up by eating carbs and sugar alone, not at all. Was just curious IF I was removing these from my diet, what would be good replacements, also interested in what is a good target for daily sugar intake. MyFitnessPal says 50 for a 2,000 a day diet but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, I assume it is since it's a weight loss app but who knows.

Quite frankly the information I've found in the Internet so far doesn't directly address daily sugar intake for weight loss. Most say 5% of your daily calorie intake so in my case on target that would be approximately 102 which doesn't seem right.

Adding more protein isn't an option as Drs recommends less than 20% of my daily calories come from proteins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I don't get why you are counting just the juice as a serving of vegetables.

Does drinking your fruit and veggies count? - Health - Diet and nutrition - Nutrition Notes | NBC News

Here Are 10 Pictures of Your Daily Recommended Servings of Fruits & Vegetables

Even though the juice counts as a serving, you aren't getting the fiber and antioxidants from the skin and flesh. It's a matter of better health.

How much protein does your nephrologist recommend you consume?
I'm not counting on just juice. Example, my lunch smoothie (blended not juiced so I'm getting entire fruit or veggie) contained one serving of fresh vegetable and serving of fresh fruit. For a snack later I'll have one serving of carrots, with dinner I'll have between 1-2 servings of cauliflower. So I'd say on average outside of juicing I'm getting 4 - 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables per day. That's about my max, maybe throw in a pear or orange too along the way but I'm maxing out between 4 - 5 per day. No way I can get to 8 or 13 eating them, so juicing is helping me get there, and, I really like the juice. An interesting documentary on juicing is Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. Problem is I don't think it's sustainable long term. That said, I think I'll juice at least once a day for life now I like it that much.

Nephrologist said no more than 20% of my daily calories from protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
50 pounds in 4 months is aggressive, IMO. If you were 400 going to 350, sure, but 250 to 200 after already losing ~20... I'd shoot more for 25-30 pounds so as not to get discouraged...

Personally, I'd focus less on juicing x number of veggies per day and focus more on CICO overall. I'd actually not really worry about fiber as well.
Actually I am focusing on the CICO (topic of this thread) more than the juicing, just happened to have a lot of questions/input on juicing. I'm thinking based on my research I'm know where I need to be now, about 2050 calories per day burning about 500/600 at the gym.

I agree, it's aggressive but I think I can do it. If I hit 25-30 like you say, I'm still ahead of the game as long as the needle is going in the right direction and I know I'm doing everything I can I'm good, but I do want to set an aggressive goal for myself as I really do think I can hit it. I'll be sure to update this thread when I do or when the 4 months is up, whichever comes first.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:32 PM

OP if you are looking to lose weight, you don't need sugar, and you don't need to replace it with anything.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
OP if you are looking to lose weight, you don't need sugar, and you don't need to replace it with anything.
Thanks, didn't know if there was a minimum needed or not .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss