Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:06 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,840,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Actually I am focusing on the CICO (topic of this thread) more than the juicing, just happened to have a lot of questions/input on juicing. I'm thinking based on my research I'm know where I need to be now, about 2050 calories per day burning about 500/600 at the gym.
Are you putting the 500/600 on top of the 2050 (i.e. eating ~2550 cals/day?) Because that seems a bit high to me to lose ~3 pounds/week.

I'd redo the math on your BMR (see How to Calculate Your Calorie Burn Accurately - BuiltLean ), using HB method and Moderate exercise Activity Multiplier. Then lop off 20-25% of cals from that number. Rinse/repeat/profit.

And then in your tracker, you only log what you eat and don't subtract out the calories (as they're already factored in by the multiplier).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 11:22 AM

698 posts, read 988,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Are you putting the 500/600 on top of the 2050 (i.e. eating ~2550 cals/day?) Because that seems a bit high to me to lose ~3 pounds/week..
No, 2050 is factoring in the extra calories for my workout days. Non-workout days I'm doing 1590

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
I'd redo the math on your BMR (see How to Calculate Your Calorie Burn Accurately - BuiltLean ), using HB method and Moderate exercise Activity Multiplier. Then lop off 20-25% of cals from that number. Rinse/repeat/profit.

And then in your tracker, you only log what you eat and don't subtract out the calories (as they're already factored in by the multiplier).
Ran my numbers through your above link using the Harris Benedict Method and got the following: BMR 2198.55 with and activity multiplier result of 3,407.75.

If I read this correctly it's saying that on workout days I should be consuming 3,407.75 calories and 2,198.55 on non-workout days? Seems awfully high for weight loss. I double checked my calculations and my math is correct, maybe I'm not reading the results right.

Last edited by qingguy; 02-04-2016 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 11:59 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,570,136 times
Quote:
No, 2050 is factoring in the extra calories for my workout days. Non-workout days I'm doing 1590

Ran my numbers through your above link using the Harris Benedict Method and got the following: BMR 2198.55 with and activity multiplier result of 3,407.75.

If I read this correctly it's saying that on workout days I should be consuming 3,407.75 calories and 2,198.55 on non-workout days? Seems awfully high for weight loss. I double checked my calculations and my math is correct, maybe I'm not reading the results right.
Are you supposed to then subtract 500 from 3407 in order to shoot to lose 1 lb. a week? (500 x 7 = 3500 = 1 lb.)?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Wow, that seems like it would suck and be hard to maintain long-term.

Quote:

Yeah, you're not. It's saying that given your activity level, maintenance of your body weight would be 3,400 cals/day. Subtracting 500 cals/day gives you 1 pound of weight loss in a week. So you'd need to chop off 1500 if you were going to lose 3 pounds/week (for 48 pounds in 16 weeks). So you'd need to average 1900 cals/day. Personally, I don't change much for non-workout and workout days, but YMMV. I'd recommend you go for 2 pounds/week and eat 2,400 cals per day as there's quality of life, sustainability, etc. to consider, but you know you better than I do.

I believe I've also seen that 20-30% from post-multiplier # is really the sweet spot (so that's also about 1,000 cals off per day (at 30%)). I don't really believe it, but I've seen articles about lowering your calories more than that can cause your BMR to slow (something about your body trying to preserve itself/starvation mode/yada yada yada). I'll see if I can find the article and a counter I've come across as well.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 PM

Can't find the 20-30% article, but I know I've seen that recommendation (and multiple places).

Here's the counter:

Starvation Mode: Is It A Myth? Is It Real? Is Your Body In It Now?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 PM

698 posts, read 988,505 times
Thanks to everyone for their input, I greatly appreciate it.

@L2BD - Ah, got it, so the 1900 and 2050 number aren't that far off.

I too have heard somewhere about too few calories putting ones body into starvation mode. However, I also read an article that someone did on the Biggest Loser television program and attending one of their camps where contestants and campers eat as few as 1,200 calories a day AND they're in the gym up to 6 hours a day (I don't know how they don't pass out). I've seen many experts criticize this method and on the surface I tend to agree with them regarding the extreme weight loss. However, I'm not sure which is less healthy, consuming low calories and fast weight loss or walking around morbidly obese?

Ultimately at this stage in my life I'm looking for sustainable weight loss, which is why I stopped my juice fast at 5 days. Could I have continued and probably lost all my weight in 60 days (guys my size have lost 100 lbs in 60 days juicing) yes, however, I don't believe it's sustainable. What I'm doing now feels like it is. For instance, for breakfast I had an 8 oz carrot, apple, ginger and orange juice (freshly juiced by me) and a whole wheat English muffin, egg whites, low fat slice of cheese and turkey sausage patty. For lunch I'm trying to decide between a green juice or green protein smoothie, I'll have a couple healthy snacks during the day, hit the gym and for dinner have a large salad with a protein. This for me is sustainable long term.

Sure once I hit my goal weight I'll slide a beer in there from time to time, a steak etc. But the tweaks in my diet will for the most part remain.

Thanks again for all the help (keep it coming if you have additional tips) I greatly appreciate it.

BTW, stepped on the scale this morning and I'm down 20.5 lbs in exactly a month from when I started this journey. Everyone I see asks, "have you lost weight?", clothes are fitting loose and I'm feeling great with tons of energy and sleeping like a log (but without the snoring)!

Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 AM

11,086 posts, read 6,032,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
OP if you are looking to lose weight, you don't need sugar, and you don't need to replace it with anything.
Just to qualify myself - I am not a nutritionist and I have never been hugely overweight. I was 10 kg (22 lbs) over weight. I could not lose no matter how I tried until that is, I cut out all sugar and cut out all rice and potato. Then my weight came down steadily and has stabilized at my ideal and lean 75 kg.

Realizing that most if not all has already been covered here but I'll say my bit anyway.

Rule #1 - Lose the sugar! All of it. Well, OK there is always some sugar in fruits and vegetables so limit the high sugar fruits.

When you say juicing, do you mean extracting the juice or liquidizing? It sounds like extracting. There is still soluble fiber in extracted juice but keep the sugars down as in choosing lower sugar fruits (grapes and banana are out). A veggie smoothy is a great filler and nutrient rich meal.

Carbs are also sugars so cut them down as in leave out the rice (potato too for a while). Coleslaw is a great high fiber, low carb meal. Veges like carrot are high carb so you will get all the carbs you need from your vegies. Aim to feel hungry more. Hunger is your friend provided you don't eat more than your ration.

Why do you need to increase your calorie intake to compensate for the calories burned exercising? The whole idea of exercising is to burn off excess calories.

When counting dietary fiber, insoluble fiber doesn't count. You need an amount of soluble fiber, the more the better.

Don't underestimate the amount of protein in veggies.

Don't over-estimate the calories you need.

As I said, you know all this already.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,132 times
Post above hit it on the head. when you juice things, you lose the natural fiber and "filling feeling" that fruits and veggies give you. You also start to rely on juices, and possible concentrated juices, to satisfy your thirst so you are probably not getting in enough water as well.

Avoid these foods if you are eating them as well. They may be slowing your progress BIG TIME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUQXFezcnTA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss