Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:26 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,564,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Here's a test for anyone who believes a "calorie is a calorie."

Try this experiment:

Eat 1800 calories worth of ice cream for one year.

I will take one for the team and try this experiment! I shall report back in one year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:07 AM

7,148 posts, read 12,688,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I will take one for the team and try this experiment! I shall report back in one year!
Or not...

With ice cream your sole source of food for a year, I fear your report will be very, very quiet...

Old 02-13-2016, 09:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,043,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
What a flaming post. But true.

Eat organic, eat natural. Nope doesnt matter. Think about it monkeys live to ridiculous old age in captivity on monkey chow. Cats kept indoors on their crud food can live for 20 years. Cats dont cook their food in nature right on?

You know how I know that I know? My spouse went through horrendous even monstrous cancer surgeries and treatments. Stage 4 metasticized. Survived, thrived, rebuilt from a PEG feeding tube FOR OVER A YEAR with nothing but glorified slimfast shakes. Ive already forgotten the name of them!

My Mom was in a nursing home, and had a food bag straight to her stomach and gained weight and did well for years.

So you wanna lose weight? Stop obsessing with everything. Calories is everything. And the calories can be a weird concoction and you can lose weight and thrive.

Listen, when there comes out human chow Ill buy me a big ole bag. Cept if its Soylent green. Then Ill pass.
I agree in a way. Calorie count is huge. There are some foods, though, that may have a lot of sodium and keep water weight on. Also, some of the healthier options like fish give you more bang for your caloric buck.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:33 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,445,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
What a flaming post. But true.

Eat organic, eat natural. Nope doesnt matter. Think about it monkeys live to ridiculous old age in captivity on monkey chow. Cats kept indoors on their crud food can live for 20 years. Cats dont cook their food in nature right on?

You know how I know that I know? My spouse went through horrendous even monstrous cancer surgeries and treatments. Stage 4 metasticized. Survived, thrived, rebuilt from a PEG feeding tube FOR OVER A YEAR with nothing but glorified slimfast shakes. Ive already forgotten the name of them!

My Mom was in a nursing home, and had a food bag straight to her stomach and gained weight and did well for years.

So you wanna lose weight? Stop obsessing with everything. Calories is everything. And the calories can be a weird concoction and you can lose weight and thrive.

Listen, when there comes out human chow Ill buy me a big ole bag. Cept if its Soylent green. Then Ill pass.
Whole lot of misconceptions and backward logic.

Cats and other captive animals live longer lives because they are protected from predators, disease, competition, and usually receive excellent medical care. It's not the food.

Concentrated nutrition like the type given to people recovering from from illnesses or in nursing homes is not the same as anything you can buy in a store.

And what do recovering from cancer and feeding tubes have to do with losing weight? Uh, nothing. People in those situations are trying to gain weight and recover and maintain health, not be skinny.

All calories are not created equal, and as another poster pointed out, eating your daily quantity of calories in the form of ice cream, or candy bars, or steak, or eggs is not going to make a person skinny or healthy. Human beings are omnivores that have specific calorie and nutrient requirements.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:44 AM

748 posts, read 1,377,073 times
All food is not created equal.

Too many carbs (and not enough exercise) = diabetes.
Too much fat and sugar = too much you in places you dont want too much you
Too much cholesterol = clogged arteries/leading to heart attack/stroke

My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes 2. For the last few years both of us have pretty much neglected ourselves...going out to eat, eating whatever we feel like eating, not a lot of exercise. It caught up with my husband and my fear is I am next. This was a HUGE wakeup call for both of us. We immediately change our eating habits. And I started logging my food. The first week...HUGE difference! I felt better and I lost 6 pounds. Now I am swimming at least three times a week. Lets see how that goes. Hubby is walking and already his sugar level has dropped WAY down.

We have cut 99% of processed foods out of our diet. Day two of my diet, I was at work and forgot my lunch. I went to a deli and got a turkey sandwich which turned out to have 810 calories, a lot of cholesterol (bread) and 1800 grams of sodium (injected into the turkey at most delis). I was sick to my stomach after learning how bad that turkey sandwich was.

Noone can convince me that calories are all the same.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:14 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,830,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
All food is not created equal.

Too many carbs (and not enough exercise) = diabetes.
Too much fat and sugar = too much you in places you dont want too much you
Too much cholesterol = clogged arteries/leading to heart attack/stroke

My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes 2. For the last few years both of us have pretty much neglected ourselves...going out to eat, eating whatever we feel like eating, not a lot of exercise. It caught up with my husband and my fear is I am next. This was a HUGE wakeup call for both of us. We immediately change our eating habits. And I started logging my food. The first week...HUGE difference! I felt better and I lost 6 pounds. Now I am swimming at least three times a week. Lets see how that goes. Hubby is walking and already his sugar level has dropped WAY down.

We have cut 99% of processed foods out of our diet. Day two of my diet, I was at work and forgot my lunch. I went to a deli and got a turkey sandwich which turned out to have 810 calories, a lot of cholesterol (bread) and 1800 grams of sodium (injected into the turkey at most delis). I was sick to my stomach after learning how bad that turkey sandwich was.

Noone can convince me that calories are all the same.
Some calories are nutritious and some are empty. Some make you feel full, some make you feel hungry. But they are burned at the same rate. If you operate at a calorie deficit you will lose weight even if all you eat is bread or twinkles. Not a smart idea since your body will be screaming at you for real food and you will feel hungry all the time, but you will lose weight.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:29 AM

7,148 posts, read 12,688,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Some calories are nutritious and some are empty. Some make you feel full, some make you feel hungry. But they are burned at the same rate. If you operate at a calorie deficit you will lose weight even if all you eat is bread or twinkles. Not a smart idea since your body will be screaming at you for real food and you will feel hungry all the time, but you will lose weight.
Studies show that calories from different sources are not burned at the same rate...

Some are metabolized faster, others are held onto longer and stored in various organs.

Here's an interesting read that explains this: 6 Reasons Why a Calorie is NOT a Calorie

Old 02-16-2016, 09:34 AM

753 posts, read 1,106,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Bread doesn't have any cholesterol. Google for "bread cholesterol" and you'll be able to check that easily.

I'm not sure where you got the 810 calorie figure from, but that sounds like it might be a typical example of "portion distortion" -- prepared foods today are often served in gigantic portions that dwarf what was considered reasonable 20 or 30 years ago. Next time order a half sandwich, or just save half of it for another meal. If you're trying to lose weight, I'd also recommend skipping the cheese and mayo and asking them to put, say, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber on the sandwich instead, and turn down any high-fat chips or pasta/potato salad made with mayo that might come as a side with your sandwich.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,830,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Studies show that calories from different sources are not burned at the same rate...

Some are metabolized faster, others are held onto longer and stored in various organs.

Here's an interesting read that explains this: 6 Reasons Why a Calorie is NOT a Calorie
You will still lose the same amount of weight. As I stated some calories will make you feel hungrier while others will keep you more satisfied. But calorie restriction is the only way to lose weight. You can eat 1000 calories of bread a day for a week or a 1000 a day of meat for a week. You feel fuller eating the meat. But at the end of the week, you will have lost the same amount of weight.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,188,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
It's not that simple. You are much more likely to over-eat when you are taking in cheap calories.

Totally agree with this. I "cant get full" when I eat empty junk.

Greasy fatty food works fine to be filing but that is calorie laden. I'm speaking more of snacky items. Like, I could eat crap junk for breakfast but a hardboiled egg and plain yogurt with nuts is way more energy sustaining and filling.

If the OP's only premise is fewer calories, no matter where they come from, is all that matters for weight loss, there is truth in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss