Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM

698 posts, read 985,486 times

Advertisements

Been trying to calculate my macros for weight loss and all calculations are pointing me to 35 - 45% protein which isn't an option for me as I have a kidney disease which calls for a low protein diet. Most I can do is 18-20% using 2,050 calories per day.

So based on this I'm trying to figure out where my carbs and fats should come in. Anyone have experience here?

My stats follow:
Current stats- Male, 48, 5'10", current weight 250 lbs (as of this week I'm down 18.5 lbs in four weeks). Sedentary job, 10 hours a day behind desk.

Goals - Lose 50 lbs in the next 4 months

Current diet - Diet WAS (as of three days ago) two fresh juices a day, two healthy snacks and one healthy meal. Diet TODAY one 16 oz juice as a meal, one green smoothie (base being almond milk, protein powder, non-fat Greek yogurt) with spinach and one fruit, healthy dinner (e.g. grilled chicken, fish, turkey, brown rice and veggies) 1/2 juice for a snack and one healthy snack. Drink minimum 10 glasses of water a day. One "cheat" meal a week. My cheat meals are not nachos, pizza burgers etc. More like sushi or 6 oz prime rib or rib eye steak.

MyFitnessPal target calories on workout days 2,050, non-workout days 1,590. 50% carbs/30% protein/20% fat goal per day.

Exercise - 35 minutes of cardio typically elliptical keeping heart rate in 65% range for optimal fat burning, 20 minutes mid-difficulty weight training 5 days a week. Also thinking about walking for 20 - 30 minutes each morning on my home treadmill to start off my day, nothing intense, maybe about 2.5 - 3 mph just to start the day off right.

Supplements - Sprouts brand natural whey protein once a day in my smoothie.

Health Issues - High blood pressure (25 mg metoprolol a day), polycystic kidney disease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 04:07 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
First, I'd recommend clarifying with your doctor if there is an absolute amount of protein you can handle, rather than a relative amount. That would be invaluable. It looks like you can consume about 100 grams of carbs per day, give or take.

I mean, it's going to be REALLY hard to reach your goals of weight loss in that period of time and not risk losing significant muscle mass, so I'm almost hesitant to really advise you too much further because...well...I don't want to be the one responsible for you dying.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:49 PM

698 posts, read 985,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
First, I'd recommend clarifying with your doctor if there is an absolute amount of protein you can handle, rather than a relative amount. That would be invaluable. It looks like you can consume about 100 grams of carbs per day, give or take.

I mean, it's going to be REALLY hard to reach your goals of weight loss in that period of time and not risk losing significant muscle mass, so I'm almost hesitant to really advise you too much further because...well...I don't want to be the one responsible for you dying.
LOL, death is many years out (at least from kidney failure), just trying to do everything I can to extend the life of these kidneys. I need to be in the 90 - 100 grams of protein per day max range. I know where my protein needs to be % wise, not much I can do there, I really was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the carbs and fats.

With hard work I think I can hit my goal, if I don't and I have to extend it a month or two I'm good with that, just like being aggressive with my goals. As long as the needle is moving in the right direction I'm good.

Thanks for your concern.

Last edited by qingguy; 02-03-2016 at 05:19 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,747 times
Hi Gingguy,
Have you researched about Ketogenic diet? It is low carb, moderate protein (~25%, but with your conditions you may limit it to 20%), and high fat (good fat, not fried / saturated / processed food).
This link will give you some preliminary data: Ketogenic Diet Plan: Get Started Here!
In the list of medical contraindications, it states that people with liver disease should check with their doctor first. But thought to share

Old 02-27-2016, 12:27 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,407 times
Google PSMF.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 773 times
The perennial weight lose problems when coupled with health problems it is even more complicated. Let's take it from the start. You have lived a relatively sedentary life which has caused your health problems. So the first step in reaching your weight loss goals is --- setting realistic goals. You did not reach your current health status over night. Trying to get rid of all those extra pounds in 4 months is not a realistic goal. I'm assuming that your kidney health and your present weight related ailments are causing a whole lot of anxiety. Which is counter productive. Not sure how your protein intake influences your kidney health--so do please consult this issue with your Dr. But what I do know with absolute certainty, is that your vowels or gut is polluted with years of toxins from bad digestion. So long as our gut is not clean losing weight will become a daunting task. This is my recommendation to you. Cleanse your body from within. It would not hurt you to fast at least 3 days, just drinking water--distilled preferably. Afterwards, begin cleansing your liver and bowels with natural cleansers like, N opal, the cactus not any powdery synthetic mix. Sugarless Coconut water. This process of cleansing should last at least 2 weeks. The Nopal should become part of your diet permanently. You should lose about 12.5 pounds of toxins that are in your gut. Take long walks and increase your pace daily until you bring it to a brisk trot. That will start conditioning your body for weight loss and exercise. Make sure to stretch before and after. Avoid solid vitamins try finding liquid vitamins that fall within the recommended daily allowances. A colon cleansing is also in order. Now to the fun part, start doing the 7 min. workout. Just make sure you complete all the exercises even if you don't do them in 7 min.
Consuming carbs is not the issue it is what we do afterwards that can benefit or cause serious problems. Consume all carbs in the morning some of the protein at lunch and some for dinner. Next continue to improve your times on the 7 min workout until you can do them all in 7 minutes. Stay on top of yourself, consult your physician on every thing including my recommendations. Don't discuss your situation or goals with anyone that is is not directly involved in your plight. Eat organically grown vegetables (avoid marbleized red meat,) grade a chicken, fresh fish, no shell fish whatsoever. Zero soft drinks. Avoid sugarless diet crap, they do more harm than good. Eat moderate portions don't starve yourself. Avoid sugar and salt. Remember this-- all things in moderation. Avoid stress period. Stop getting technical about your goals when it comes to weight loss starting with the macros and the micros and this that and the other is nothing but a distraction and don't help anything. To start just take the baby steps above then you can set those specific goals. With the advances in science today it wont be long before science finds a way of restoring or even replacing a banged up kidney. They are growing sperm in a dish. Stem cell no longer have to be harvested from Embryos etc.

Last edited by Social007; 02-27-2016 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding some things

Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social007 View Post
The perennial weight lose problems when coupled with health problems it is even more complicated. Let's take it from the start. You have lived a relatively sedentary life which has caused your health problems. So the first step in reaching your weight loss goals is --- setting realistic goals. You did not reach your current health status over night. Trying to get rid of all those extra pounds in 4 months is not a realistic goal. I'm assuming that your kidney health and your present weight related ailments are causing a whole lot of anxiety. Which is counter productive. Not sure how your protein intake influences your kidney health--so do please consult this issue with your Dr. But what I do know with absolute certainty, is that your vowels or gut is polluted with years of toxins from bad digestion. So long as our gut is not clean losing weight will become a daunting task. This is my recommendation to you. Cleanse your body from within. It would not hurt you to fast at least 3 days, just drinking water--distilled preferably. Afterwards, begin cleansing your liver and bowels with natural cleansers like, N opal, the cactus not any powdery synthetic mix. Sugarless Coconut water. This process of cleansing should last at least 2 weeks. The Nopal should become part of your diet permanently. You should lose about 12.5 pounds of toxins that are in your gut. Take long walks and increase your pace daily until you bring it to a brisk trot. That will start conditioning your body for weight loss and exercise. Make sure to stretch before and after. Avoid solid vitamins try finding liquid vitamins that fall within the recommended daily allowances. A colon cleansing is also in order. Now to the fun part, start doing the 7 min. workout. Just make sure you complete all the exercises even if you don't do them in 7 min.
Consuming carbs is not the issue it is what we do afterwards that can benefit or cause serious problems. Consume all carbs in the morning some of the protein at lunch and some for dinner. Next continue to improve your times on the 7 min workout until you can do them all in 7 minutes. Stay on top of yourself, consult your physician on every thing including my recommendations. Don't discuss your situation or goals with anyone that is is not directly involved in your plight. Eat organically grown vegetables (avoid marbleized red meat,) grade a chicken, fresh fish, no shell fish whatsoever. Zero soft drinks. Avoid sugarless diet crap, they do more harm than good. Eat moderate portions don't starve yourself. Avoid sugar and salt. Remember this-- all things in moderation. Avoid stress period. Stop getting technical about your goals when it comes to weight loss starting with the macros and the micros and this that and the other is nothing but a distraction and don't help anything. To start just take the baby steps above then you can set those specific goals. With the advances in science today it wont be long before science finds a way of restoring or even replacing a banged up kidney. They are growing sperm in a dish. Stem cell no longer have to be harvested from Embryos etc.
All B.S. You do not need to 'cleanse' your body. Colon cleanses are nonsense. What kind of credentials do you have to recommend this big pile of nonsense?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 651 times
Hi there,
You should just excersise more, and instead of icecream and candy for a snack, have a bowl of fruit. And for dessert, have like, strawberries, or your fav fruit with whipped cream or sugur. Replacing sweets with something else is what I call a diet. Don't eat any less food than you already do. I mean, if you're eating 24/7, limit yourself to all the meals and 1 or 2 snacks. Hope I could help!
cmoths.cf

Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
So these random people, come on here with advice and it's their FIRST ever post here. EVER. So weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss