Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I eat it uncooked like dry cereal . it lasts longer through the day.
Cooking destroys it .
Our bodies are designed to live on living tissue ,
consuming dead tissue is what is causing most of the health problems.
Care to back this statement up with some peer reviewed data? Because this is just about that whackiest thing I have heard in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 09:35 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Care to back this statement up with some peer reviewed data? Because this is just about that whackiest thing I have heard in a long time.
Yeah, I'm not really down with snacking on live animals because "dead tissue" is bad for us.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,911,433 times
I suppose technically, the oats are dead unless your in the field munching on them....

Sounds like he is into minimally processed / cooked foods.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2016, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,835 times
Oat is good for you as an alternative to the egg and bacon breakfast so many are used to, but if you're watching your weight I think eating oat everyday is not a good idea. Also, there are many forms of oat--steel cut, rolled or instant, some instant oat are sweetened. The steel cut oat retained more of its original nutrients, so it depends on what kind of oat you normally have. The glycemic index of instant oat is also higher than the old fashioned oat, that means the instant oat pushes up your blood sugar faster. And carbo loaded breakfast (eg. oat) makes us feel more sluggish in my opinion.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 11,112 times
Carbohydrate foods can make us sluggish and sleepy that's why you felt better by switching to fruits. Lean protein like nuts are much better in giving you energy in the morning, so maybe adding nuts to your oat is a good option sometimes when you feel like having oat in the morning again.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:52 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
Carbohydrate foods can make us sluggish and sleepy that's why you felt better by switching to fruits.
What do you think fruits are?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:15 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,866 times
I put uncooked oats in my meal replacement smoothie. 1/2 cup oats, some non fat greek yogurt and maybe a little unsweetened almond milk. Then I add a handful of frozen berries and a frozen banana. Full of protein and I stay full till lunch.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:05 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,795,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Hi,

I have been eating Quaker Old fashioned oats for years. I don't even use the micro oven, I use the stove and make my breakfast every morning. For past one week I ran out and I didn't go shopping, I only had Apple and Grape fruits at home so I have been eating those. I feel so much better with fruits then Oats.

I always thought Oat meals are good for you, I am wrong on that? I just don't know what to eat anymore for breakfast.

Thanks
27G of carbs...'I looked at some of the GV oatmeal (Apple cinnamon and such) OMG 300 Carbs....

I always would have plain (We didn't have prepackaged) and a spoon of sugar and milk..Yeah a as kid you could go ALL day on that.....But go with what makes you happy!

Old 02-21-2016, 02:35 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,174,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
Carbohydrate foods can make us sluggish and sleepy that's why you felt better by switching to fruits. Lean protein like nuts are much better in giving you energy in the morning, so maybe adding nuts to your oat is a good option sometimes when you feel like having oat in the morning again.
No. Fruits are a quick sugar fix. They digest quicker and release their carbs faster. Oats release their carbs slower. You don't get the quick energy, you get more sustained energy which keeps you going longer. It also keeps your blood sugar regulated so your not snacking on something before lunch.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:21 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,627,441 times
Mostly carbs.....I could think of a LOT better food choices for MYSELF, YMMV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss