Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM

488 posts, read 858,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
27G of carbs...'I looked at some of the GV oatmeal (Apple cinnamon and such) OMG 300 Carbs....

I always would have plain (We didn't have prepackaged) and a spoon of sugar and milk..Yeah a as kid you could go ALL day on that.....But go with what makes you happy!
300 gr of carbs? Yes - in an entire box of instant packets. One packet (which is one serving) of Apple Cinnamon is 33 grams of carbs.

OP - there's nothing wrong with Old Fashioned Oatmeal. It's perfectly healthy. But do you add sugar to it? This is usually the issue. I always feel more sleepy after eating oatmeal than I do fruit. I don't add more than a tablespoon of brown sugar, but that seems to be enough to cause the "carb coma".

One trick I found was to make oatmeal in the crockpot. Add a tablespoon of cinnamon to it and the slow cooking releases the natural sweetness of the cinnamon. Then it doesn't need extra sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 10:37 AM

13 posts, read 11,109 times
Oat is a high carb food so you tend to feel more sluggish after eating it, that's how I felt if I ate too much bread in the morning for breakfast.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:53 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I eat low carb, but when I can't face another omelet for breakfast, I occasionally have plain oatmeal, made with milk, with an Equal packet, and maybe a few berries.
It can be argued that fruit is worse than oatmeal, because it will not stick with you until lunch time....at least oatmeal will, but they are both high carb.
Oatmeal seems so wholesome, that I still don't feel guilty about eating it once in awhile.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:48 PM

461 posts, read 667,347 times
Oats purchased in bulk at Whole Foods/Sprouts/Trader Joe's are healthier for you.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:55 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
300 gr of carbs? Yes - in an entire box of instant packets. One packet (which is one serving) of Apple Cinnamon is 33 grams of carbs.

OP - there's nothing wrong with Old Fashioned Oatmeal. It's perfectly healthy. But do you add sugar to it? This is usually the issue. I always feel more sleepy after eating oatmeal than I do fruit. I don't add more than a tablespoon of brown sugar, but that seems to be enough to cause the "carb coma".

One trick I found was to make oatmeal in the crockpot. Add a tablespoon of cinnamon to it and the slow cooking releases the natural sweetness of the cinnamon. Then it doesn't need extra sugar.
Yep, my mistake...Later thought "I had to have misread the package" actually it was the person who did the web shot...

Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Hi,

I have been eating Quaker Old fashioned oats for years. I don't even use the micro oven, I use the stove and make my breakfast every morning. For past one week I ran out and I didn't go shopping, I only had Apple and Grape fruits at home so I have been eating those. I feel so much better with fruits then Oats.

I always thought Oat meals are good for you, I am wrong on that? I just don't know what to eat anymore for breakfast.

Thanks
Absolutely good for you.
Watch the portion size as they are caloric intense.
But it is a low glycemic index foodstuffs so good for insulin control.

Consume plain or add some cinnamon to boost IGF-1 and fruit as preferred.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:31 PM

1,098 posts, read 903,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Absolutely good for you.
Watch the portion size as they are caloric intense.
But it is a low glycemic index foodstuffs so good for insulin control.

Consume plain or add some cinnamon to boost IGF-1 and fruit as preferred.
Depends on who you are. Even oatmeal with no sugar added spikes my blood sugar more than pizza. I don't trust the studies, I can feel it. That's the only study I need. I haven't eaten oatmeal in a while. I don't believe it's as healthy as all the claims.

There's probably a good reason the OP isn't feeling well. Oatmeal is one of the worst breakfast foods out there in my opinion

Old 02-26-2016, 09:36 PM

1,098 posts, read 903,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyevi View Post
Oat is good for you as an alternative to the egg and bacon breakfast so many are used to
That couldn't be more wrong. Bacon and eggs are great...it's the pancakes, syrup, waffles, OJ, biscuits and cereal that need to go.

Last edited by Jame22; 02-26-2016 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss