Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 09:15 PM

586 posts, read 835,970 times

Advertisements

On a side note, if this happens to me every month, does that mean that I dont have full weight loss potential like others. Say, if typical rate is 1-2 lbs a week (just going by the books, I know everyone is different), and I miss out on a week does that mean I am only capable of losing 2-6 lbs per month vs 4-8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 09:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,967,785 times
No. It means you retain water temporarily.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:06 PM

Its going down but still so frustrating. Whoever said "water weight" is no biggie? To me, its the culprit and hindering me from losing proper weight. Being as overweight as I am, every lb matters. I hate it being the same damn cycle (sorry for the language) every month. So I lose 5 lbs first 1-2 weeks, gain ALL of it back due to water weight the third week, and spend the 4th week losing the 5 lbs that I supposedly lost in the first place. By the end of the month, turns out I really didnt lose anything. It happens EVERY SINGLE MONTH thats why I am still the same weight that I was half a year ago.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:09 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,574,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Its going down but still so frustrating. Whoever said "water weight" is no biggie? To me, its the culprit and hindering me from losing proper weight. Being as overweight as I am, every lb matters. I hate it being the same damn cycle (sorry for the language) every month. So I lose 5 lbs first 1-2 weeks, gain ALL of it back due to water weight the third week, and spend the 4th week losing the 5 lbs that I supposedly lost in the first place. By the end of the month, turns out I really didnt lose anything. It happens EVERY SINGLE MONTH thats why I am still the same weight that I was half a year ago.
To be frank, if you are the same weight month after month, you're eating too much.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
To be frank, if you are the same weight month after month, you're eating too much.
I was waiting for someone to say that. I may have eaten too much in the past I take the blame for that, but at the start of the month I am always on a healthy diet that mostly consists of veggies, lean protein, sometimes shell fish, fish,whole grains etc. Usually after the end of the first or second week, I am feeling quite pleased with the loss until the third week were I gain a mysterious 6 lbs. If anyone have came across my older posts they would know its not the first time this has happened.

I then have to spend the rest of the month losing the 6 lbs I gained overnight, which supposedly is "water weight." Things like these makes me wan to say "screw it" and stuff my face with cake, only I dont because it'll make matters worse.

I was so depressed the other day I actually cried in front of my doctor because I just want to lose SOMETHING, ANYTHING only to have it zero out by the end of the month and I dont know what I am doing wrong.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I was waiting for someone to say that. I may have eaten too much in the past I take the blame for that, but at the start of the month I am always on a healthy diet that mostly consists of veggies, lean protein, sometimes shell fish, fish,whole grains etc. Usually after the end of the first or second week, I am feeling quite pleased with the loss until the third week were I gain a mysterious 6 lbs. If anyone have came across my older posts they would know its not the first time this has happened.

I then have to spend the rest of the month losing the 6 lbs I gained overnight, which supposedly is "water weight." Things like these makes me wan to say "screw it" and stuff my face with cake, only I dont because it'll make matters worse.

I was so depressed the other day I actually cried in front of my doctor because I just want to lose SOMETHING, ANYTHING only to have it zero out by the end of the month and I dont know what I am doing wrong.

So at the start of the month you eat right. That makes me think you are saying you don't eat healthy ALL month? So yeah you might gain a little water weight, but if you eat less than you burn over time, you WILL lose weight. It is a scientific certainty.

If you are getting mad at the scale and going on even one binge, that explains why you're not losing. Be consistent, always eat less than you burn and you WILL lose weight. If you don't, see your doctor ASAP.

What do you mean you have the spend the rest of the month losing the 6 lbs. By doing what? You should be doing the same thing all month -- eating less.

Are you weighing and measuring all your food? ARE you eating less than you burn? Do you know how much you are burning?

I am 5'0, 48 and 159 so I burn about 1400 in a day. So I have to eat less than that to lose weight.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:39 PM

I have a fitbit that tracks how much I burn in a 24 hour period (I have no idea how accurate it is but at least it should be close). When I was dieting alone, with minimal excercise, I burned 1400 cal. I have upped my activity though for the past 2 weeks.

I used a a weight loss cal where you enter in your current weight, goal weight, activity level, age, and it gives you the number of cal to eat in order to reach your goal weight by a certain date. I left the date blank since I dont have a specific date for my ultimate goal but it said if I were to consume "1917 cal a day" I would be 140 lbs by march 26th, 2017...so that would be a little over a year from now.

I try to eat good all month long, but I dont have a bible that I go by. Sometimes there could be slip ups, but my worst enemy are the carbs (white rice), and my worst nightmare would be 2 - 3 cups in a day. I hate chips, cookies, cakes, soda or anything sweet in general.

This is kind of what my weight loss pattern is like, lets say beginning of my menstrual cycle:

Week 1: this part of the month, I should see the lbs drop off like crazy, depending on what I eat. Could lose up to 3 lbs, on rare occasions even 5 lbs, although it is RARE.
Week 2: Same as week 1
Week 3: Wake up in the morning, bloated, and typically gain 6 lbs that lingers for the entire week
Week 4: At the beginning of week 4, pounds start to taper off slowly. I spend this week, watching the numbers decrease, and by the end of the week, I am back to were I started. Meaning, the weight I lost in weeks 1 and 2 (6 lbs) got put on during week 3, stays there, and doesnt "fall off" until the end of week 4.

week 3 is always a nightmare for me, because no matter what I eat, even if I eat nothing at all (which I did try as an experiment) the 6 lbs will automatically be put on.

Btw - I dont think I eat anywhere near 1900 calories because I log my food. I stay around 1200 cal.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:12 PM

I just don't know. I could see water weight being gained from menstruation, but over 6 months, you should have lost at least 6 pounds by now.

You say you are bloated. I am wondering the cause of that. Normal to feel it on occasion but not all the time.

Stay away from the rice altogether. If that does something to your body, then the way to solve the problem is do not eat it. You love rice? Well, tough nookies. Do you want to lose weight or not? Just giving you the tough love here.

I have been struggling with not liking the scale but ever since I did 1100 cals for 3 days, I've been in a much better place. I went up to 1400-1600 since then for about past 3 weeks and have been happy with results. I have for the most part taken out bad carbs like cake, cookies and ice cream. I hear protein is great for feeling full. Olive oil and coconut oil are awesome for fat sources.

Just keep remembering what I heard a trainer say recently: "No one on the planet, if they eat less than they burn, will not lose weight."

Be honest with yourself. I am making crumbled bacon right now. I've been eating little pieces. I MUST log those as probably one whole piece. I measured my peanut butter. I had one teaspoon. You must be meticulous and you must be sure you are correct when you say "I only eat 1200 calories."

Ohh, and also, check that scale, maybe it's the scale that is wrong! Find a friend's or a new one, or one at the gym, or something.

Also, check how your clothes fit for progress.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,261,618 times
Quote:
I have a fitbit that tracks how much I burn in a 24 hour period (I have no idea how accurate it is but at least it should be close). When I was dieting alone, with minimal excercise, I burned 1400 cal. I have upped my activity though for the past 2 weeks.

I used a a weight loss cal where you enter in your current weight, goal weight, activity level, age, and it gives you the number of cal to eat in order to reach your goal weight by a certain date. I left the date blank since I dont have a specific date for my ultimate goal but it said if I were to consume "1917 cal a day" I would be 140 lbs by march 26th, 2017...so that would be a little over a year from now.

I try to eat good all month long, but I dont have a bible that I go by. Sometimes there could be slip ups, but my worst enemy are the carbs (white rice), and my worst nightmare would be 2 - 3 cups in a day. I hate chips, cookies, cakes, soda or anything sweet in general.

This is kind of what my weight loss pattern is like, lets say beginning of my menstrual cycle:

Week 1: this part of the month, I should see the lbs drop off like crazy, depending on what I eat. Could lose up to 3 lbs, on rare occasions even 5 lbs, although it is RARE.
Week 2: Same as week 1
Week 3: Wake up in the morning, bloated, and typically gain 6 lbs that lingers for the entire week
Week 4: At the beginning of week 4, pounds start to taper off slowly. I spend this week, watching the numbers decrease, and by the end of the week, I am back to were I started. Meaning, the weight I lost in weeks 1 and 2 (6 lbs) got put on during week 3, stays there, and doesnt "fall off" until the end of week 4.

week 3 is always a nightmare for me, because no matter what I eat, even if I eat nothing at all (which I did try as an experiment) the 6 lbs will automatically be put on.

Btw - I dont think I eat anywhere near 1900 calories because I log my food. I stay around 1200 cal.
But even if you are up a few pounds during those weeks, you should still see a downward trend when you compare each week against itself (ie. compare week 1 with past weeks 1, compare week 2 with pasts weeks 2, etc.). Comparing week 1 against week 2 is inaccurate, because it makes it look as if you are losing and regaining the same few pounds month each month, when in fact you might simply be maintaining you weight.

As far as the rice goes, carbs are not your enemy unless you have a specific health condition that makes it so. If it's an issue with self-limiting the amount you eat, that's a whole other story. My husband struggles with that because he grew up with the habit of eating until their was no more food (there were literally never leftovers, no matter how much his mother cooked), so he started doing a little mind trick: instead of taking a 1/2 cup of brown rice and going back for a seconds, he only takes 1/4 cup and goes back for seconds. If you want to lose weight, you have no choice but to set limits and stick to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss