Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 AM

30 posts, read 50,525 times

Advertisements

Say you like a particular product and there are different flavors of it. They have the exact same amount of calories, carbs, protein but the fat content in them differs. Product A, has 5 grams of fat and 0 grams saturated fat, while Product B, has 2.5 grams fat and 2 grams saturated fat. What I'm trying to figure out is which one will do less harm to weight and body fat percentage over the course of time, assuming that the product is eaten on a regular basis? In other words should I opt for the product with higher overall fat content and lower saturated fat content or the product with lower overall fat content but more saturated fat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 01:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I'd opt for the one with higher overall fat and no saturated fat.

Fat is not the enemy, even though we were told that it was for many years. Fat has a place in a healthy diet.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:03 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,063 times
They can't have different amounts of total fat and still have the same carb/protein/overall calories.

In general, I think it's going to matter so little as to be inconsequential unless it' something you eat 100x a day.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:42 PM

30 posts, read 50,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
They can't have different amounts of total fat and still have the same carb/protein/overall calories.

In general, I think it's going to matter so little as to be inconsequential unless it' something you eat 100x a day.
It's energy/protein bars that I enjoy and consume when I'm doing endurance exercise, such as long hikes/runs/bike rides or during times that I can't readily access real food like fruits and veggies, say when I'm camping or on a thru hike. I eat them regularly since I'm adventuresome and get out a lot to exercise, which is why I'm interested if anyone has any experience comparing fat vs. saturated fat in products or has any experience studying nutrition, in particular studies that analyze this topic. My gut feeling tells me to opt for the one lower in saturated fat, since I'm assuming that's less useful to my body, since my body can use regular fat as a fuel source during exercise. I'm under the assumption from what I've heard over the years that saturated fat pretty much is useless to the body and bad for overall health.

I assure you that the two products I'm comparing are as I stated, having very similar stats but different fat content. They both weigh the exact same, both have 240 calories per serving, both have 45g carbs, both have 10g protein, but they have different fat/saturated fat content as described in my earlier post. I did round the fat content numbers in previous post just for ease of reading comprehension since they weren't whole numbers but that's beside the point. I honestly can't really tell a difference in performance from one to the other and I haven't been gaining weight or anything but this is something I plan on eating long term since it's convenient and I enjoy the taste. I just don't want to get surprised or anything and start gaining body fat percentage from increased saturated fat content for example, when i could've opted for something else.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:03 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx91 View Post
It's energy/protein bars that I enjoy and consume when I'm doing endurance exercise, such as long hikes/runs/bike rides or during times that I can't readily access real food like fruits and veggies, say when I'm camping or on a thru hike. I eat them regularly since I'm adventuresome and get out a lot to exercise, which is why I'm interested if anyone has any experience comparing fat vs. saturated fat in products or has any experience studying nutrition, in particular studies that analyze this topic. My gut feeling tells me to opt for the one lower in saturated fat, since I'm assuming that's less useful to my body, since my body can use regular fat as a fuel source during exercise. I'm under the assumption from what I've heard over the years that saturated fat pretty much is useless to the body and bad for overall health.

I assure you that the two products I'm comparing are as I stated, having very similar stats but different fat content. They both weigh the exact same, both have 240 calories per serving, both have 45g carbs, both have 10g protein, but they have different fat/saturated fat content as described in my earlier post. I did round the fat content numbers in previous post just for ease of reading comprehension since they weren't whole numbers but that's beside the point. I honestly can't really tell a difference in performance from one to the other and I haven't been gaining weight or anything but this is something I plan on eating long term since it's convenient and I enjoy the taste. I just don't want to get surprised or anything and start gaining body fat percentage from increased saturated fat content for example, when i could've opted for something else.
Instead of pre packaged bars that tend to have a lot of stuff we do not need, how about making your own trail mix to carry with you? Nuts are very nutritious.You can add small amounts of dried fruit. Fruit is also very portable and bananas are great for keeping you full. Make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to go. If you do not have to eat on the go yogurt - real greek yogurt, avocados, hard boiled eggs (also portable) are great options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss