Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,009,463 times

Advertisements

I am 31 and my mom is 55. I love her and care about her and she's so sweet, but over the past few years, her diet has gone in a bad direction. She has high cholesterol now (280-300 range) and she's visibly fatter. She is 5'8 and weighs about 180 now (up from 155 two years ago).

I was visiting her last night and looked in the pantry and saw unspeakable stock of junk food. She had like 5 boxes of Cheez-Its, 4 bags of cheese puffs, and a few other things. I confronted her about it and expressed my concern. She said that she just eats anything to her heart's content, and that she feels that she can get away with it because her parents and grandparents lived long lives (80's) and never had any history of heart disease, etc.

But still....I don't want her to end up with a heart attack or anything. I want her to live a full life.

Any suggestions? I mean, at the same time, I want her to enjoy life and enjoy all kinds of good foods. She is well aware that her diet is not so great, and she knows what's healthy and what's not healthy. I know she's not depressed or anything like that. I just think she's an Italian 55 year old woman who loves to cook and loves food.

Anyone else had a similar experience with parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:56 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
My brother who is obese. He has been told over and over again by doctors that if he does not lose weight he is going to die. He has had a few minor strokes already. His mobility is bad. He is depressed most of the time. However he just cannot seem to make the healthy changes. I used to try and give him (unsolicited) advice and my mother hounded him. Now I just enjoy his company and not talk about his weight. He knows what to do and he will either do it or not.
Your mother may or may not change her ways. You can only do so much. At this point you may want to encourage her to exercise. Go on walks with her, maybe get her into a yoga class or swim aerobics. But ultimately it is her choice.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,334,005 times
Your mom's 55.....she's quite capable of deciding how what and when she wants to eat. It's nice that you care about her though.....sure hope you don't make this into some kind of "issue" like so many others do.
No-one can see into the future....your mom could live a long, long life yet.....don't nit pic.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 12,908 times
I can't understand these stories. I don't know why this lady (or mothers in general) decide its okay to get fat.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:29 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulMom View Post
I can't understand these stories. I don't know why this lady (or mothers in general) decide its okay to get fat.
Why don't you step outside and start interviewing overweight people. I cannot think of anyone who is overweight that is truly happy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss