Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:57 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

Ohwanderlust:

I understand where he is coming from in terms of wanting his wife to be supportive with his diet. If you're eating fried foods in front of him, it's going to be hard for him to want to eat healthy. If there are foods that you two could compromise on that wouldn't be as bad for you, but still enjoyable to eat, that's the ticket. Like for instance, sweet potato fries instead of regular fries, turkey burgers on regular bun with all the trimmings, besides a hamburger, carrots and green beans instead of tater tots or onion rings....

Grilled chicken can be marinated to be very, very tasty, as well as fish. It doesn't have to be all roasted turkey and tofu with a side of cauliflower. And it doesn't have to be all salads, unless the salad has a healthy amount of grilled chicken with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 11:46 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Umm, no wonder you are hangry with that diet! Where are the healthy fats? Where's the meat?

I highly recommend your husband read about nutrition. I'd recommend starting with one of the following:

The Primal Blueprint
Good Calories, Bad Calories
Why We Get Fat
It Starts With Food
Wheat Belly Total Health
Eat Fat, Get Thin

I think any of those would be eye opening, but also, you will find you can eat a much more satisfying diet and still lose weight. There's no reason to go fat free at all, and I honestly believe that doing so is bad for your health.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:05 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I suggest both of you go to Weight Watchers. They will put you both on a plan, his to lose weight and yours to maintain and keep a normal healthy food plan.

There is NO need for you to starve while he has weight to lose. Asking you to do so isn't fair.

Just try to eat your extra portions when he's not around if it bothers him THAT MUCH. My husband hides his snack time eating from me when I'm dieting. He knows if I just see his snack food, my hand will be in the bag/box/bowl lol. If I catch him at it, I try to eat an apple instead. Whoopy! lol

Losing weight sucks until you start looking and feeling better, and the bonus is getting to buy smaller sized clothes or fit back into the box of clothes you've got in the closet. At the back. You know, the box that has a thick layer of dust on it? The clothes you kept for some day? The ones that make you look hot or at least more slender.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:50 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I suggest both of you go to Weight Watchers. They will put you both on a plan, his to lose weight and yours to maintain and keep a normal healthy food plan.

There is NO need for you to starve while he has weight to lose. Asking you to do so isn't fair.

Just try to eat your extra portions when he's not around if it bothers him THAT MUCH. My husband hides his snack time eating from me when I'm dieting. He knows if I just see his snack food, my hand will be in the bag/box/bowl lol. If I catch him at it, I try to eat an apple instead. Whoopy! lol

Losing weight sucks until you start looking and feeling better, and the bonus is getting to buy smaller sized clothes or fit back into the box of clothes you've got in the closet. At the back. You know, the box that has a thick layer of dust on it? The clothes you kept for some day? The ones that make you look hot or at least more slender.
The bolded!

Old 03-23-2016, 12:52 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Umm, no wonder you are hangry with that diet! Where are the healthy fats? Where's the meat?

I highly recommend your husband read about nutrition. I'd recommend starting with one of the following:

The Primal Blueprint
Good Calories, Bad Calories
Why We Get Fat
It Starts With Food
Wheat Belly Total Health
Eat Fat, Get Thin

I think any of those would be eye opening, but also, you will find you can eat a much more satisfying diet and still lose weight. There's no reason to go fat free at all, and I honestly believe that doing so is bad for your health.

If one wants to learn about nutrition, he or she would be much better off with a college nutrition textbook that teaches science based nutrition, rather than the latest fad diet books.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:04 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
If one wants to learn about nutrition, he or she would be much better off with a college nutrition textbook that teaches science based nutrition, rather than the latest fad diet books.
All of those books have long bibliographies citing many studies. Maybe you should read one yourself and see. I've read plenty of nutrition textbooks as well, thanks.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:10 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
All of those books have long bibliographies citing many studies. Maybe you should read one yourself and see. I've read plenty of nutrition textbooks as well, thanks.
I've read them... mostly pseudo science. Those are the latest fad books.

They will be replaced by the latest fads after that in few years down the road.

The science base will never be replaced, only updated.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:32 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Throw out the books and use common sense. Eat whole fresh foods, lean proteins, good fats, lots of veggies, some fruits, whole grains, and limited sugar. Eat less than you expend. It aint rocket science.
The books you listed where by authors who are in it to make money, not necessarily help anyone.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:23 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
For once, Just a Guy, gets it right.

Primal Blueprint - Another book that follows paleo dogma (with some exceptions, I understand) which is based off flawed science. That's not to say paleo is unhealthy per se, but definitely places restrictions that should not exist.

Good Calories/Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat - Both of these are just worthless. Taubes doesn't have any formal education in health and nutrition (he is an engineer, IIRC) and apparently doesn't understand basic thermodynamics. To make it worse, in a recent debate with Alan Aragon (who stomped Taubes, FYI) he even admitted he wouldn't change his opinion even if more research came out showing that his conclusions are wrong.

Wheat Belly - Written by a quack who has no real evidence to support his claims (and actual peer reviewed research essentially openly contradicts).

For actual nutrition advice, I'd send people to Lyle McDonald (BodyRecomposition.com) or Alan Aragon (AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience) and Brad Schoenfeld (http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/), all of which are much more informed and appropriate sources.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
Firstly at 5'11" and 125lbs you don't need to diet, your husband probably does, he needs to put his big boy pants on and diet alone. You can join him in eating healthy foods but cutting all fat out is unhealthy.

Also something to consider, you mentioned that you enjoy milkshakes, chips, cookies etc. It is possible that the 'hanger' pains you are experiencing are due to cutting sugar out of your diet. Your body will eventually learn not to crave sugar and use the good sugars in fruit and vegetables instead but detoxing from sugar isnt easy.
Give it time and learn to live sugar free but don't deny yourself healthy fats and peanut butter ... full of good fats and protein, instead of that pb sammich eat it with celery or carrots or cucumber ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss