Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

My husband is feeling a bit fluffy (5'10 and 205 lbs, but he looks perfect to me) and really wants to lose weight badly, and wants to go on a serious no-nonsense diet to slim down.

I'm 5'11 and 125 lbs, so I'm not overweight, but I probably don't eat the healthiest. I eat a LOT of food, and greatly prefer calorie-dense foods, since lighter foods just don't satisfy me at all. I eat lots of chips, milkshakes, fried noodles, dark meat chicken with the skin on, cookies, peanut butter, coconut curries, beef jerky, etc.

But DH wants to lose weight, and he says that it upsets him to know that I eat lots of food, and whatever I desire. He also thinks I'm going to kill myself with 'all the junk food I eat'. So he wants me to diet with him as well. He was nearly crying while standing on the scale and begging me to diet with him, so I told him okay, I'll do it if it makes him happy.

So we went shopping, and bought the following:

Salad lettuce
Cantaloupe
Sliced almonds
Seaweed
Kale
Vegetable broth
Beans
Turkey breast
Non-fat yoghurt
Non-fat sugar-free raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing
Raw tofu
Non-fat cottage cheese
Cauliflower

We're expected to live on that for the whole week, and both of our direct deposits go directly into our joint savings account, and we share joint accounts, we almost never use cash, so if I try to sneak some treats or takeout during the work week, he'll know.

But oh my god. I had no idea how miserable dieting would be. We just started a few days ago, and I'm unable to sleep at night because of the hunger pains, I can't concentrate at work, and I've been very irritable and snappy lately. I get dizzy when I stand up.

And that's after I've eaten basically everything we bought for the week in two days. Lol.

How can I get used to feeling starved? The husband is coping just fine with it, but he never eats anyway. If anything, I'm amazed that he isn't already an emaciated twig, because he eats next to nothing as it is, and now he wants to diet even more, and make me follow the same regime, and I'm losing my mind here!!

I NEED FATTENING FOODS. I can't live off of bunny food!! I'm trying to tell him that it's GOOD to have SOME fat in the diet, but he's insistent against it! I tried to show him articles online by legitimate medical/nutrition sites, but he brushes it off because it's 'from the internet'.

So our dinner last night was salad with the non-fat vinaigrette dressing, and our dinner tonight is the non-fat skinless boneless turkey breast and cauliflower.

I have serious admiration for anyone who sticks to diets and loses weight, it is seriously hard!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 07:00 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
For one thing, it is not healthy to eat fat-free. There are fat soluble vitamins that the body can't even absorb without some fat. One is vitamin D.

I don't know much about dieting but maybe you should have a doctor prescribe a diet or at least consult with someone knowledgeable about dieting. You could get a nutritional deficiency. (And I would be starving if I ate that way too!--I don't eat chips and cookies but I'll have a sandwich or something more substantial than seaweed and kale.)

Old 03-22-2016, 07:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
That diet is ridiculous, sorry, but it is.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Eat some meat and vegetables, food last longer and your husband won't go hungry. My husband is skinny and he eats fatty food, eggs and bacon in the morning, meat and veg for lunch and dinner, mostly red meat. Very little carbs.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
For one thing, it is not healthy to eat fat-free. There are fat soluble vitamins that the body can't even absorb without some fat. One is vitamin D.

I don't know much about dieting but maybe you should have a doctor prescribe a diet or at least consult with someone knowledgeable about dieting. You could get a nutritional deficiency. (And I would be starving if I ate that way too!--I don't eat chips and cookies but I'll have a sandwich or something more substantial than seaweed and kale.)
I'm trying to convince him of that, but he's convinced that the 1 tbsp of canola oil used to cook the cauliflower and turkey breast and a few sliced almonds is enough fat. It definitely doesn't feel like enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
That diet is ridiculous, sorry, but it is.
Try telling him that. If I even try to argue with him, he starts pouting and crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Eat some meat and vegetables, food last longer and your husband won't go hungry. My husband is skinny and he eats fatty food, eggs and bacon in the morning, meat and veg for lunch and dinner, mostly red meat. Very little carbs.
He's completely banned bacon, eggs, and red meat. (See above.. lol)

We do eat meat and vegetables, but for the meat, we're eating turkey breast and veggies like salad leaves and cauliflower.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:02 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm trying to convince him of that, but he's convinced that the 1 tbsp of canola oil used to cook the cauliflower and turkey breast and a few sliced almonds is enough fat. It definitely doesn't feel like enough.

Try telling him that. If I even try to argue with him, he starts pouting and crying.

He's completely banned bacon, eggs, and red meat. (See above.. lol)

We do eat meat and vegetables, but for the meat, we're eating turkey breast and veggies like salad leaves and cauliflower.
Sounds like you guys need to go to your local Barnes and Noble, buy a couple of drinks at the cafe, then sit and read through a bunch of nutrition books to learn about nutrition.

Maggie was right above when she said your diet is ridiculous because it definitely is. Pick up a few books on nutrition and a couple that has full meal plans and you guys should be okay. Also, what type of exercise is your husband doing?

Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
If you're 5'11'' and 125 lbs, you are underweight and a fat-free diet of that nature could be dangerous, imo.

And your husband's diet is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Fat-free is just a bad idea. Fat makes you feel full and satisfies cravings.

He can either go on Weight Watchers or start counting calories (frankly, I find the latter to be much easier). Get him a MyFitnessPal account set up. He can maximize the "filling" nature of his food by cutting out unrefined carbs and upping his protein.

What he's devised isn't so much a diet as a recipe for misery.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,188 times
It's not the 1990's anymore, you're allowed to eat foods high in fat and cholesterol as long as they're minimally processed. Why not just buy some extra stuff for yourself? He will crash and burn eventually

Some suggestions:

coconut oil
Brown rice
Sweet potatoes
white potatoes
Real butter
Olive Oil
Anything green
Fish
Steak
Chicken

Old 03-23-2016, 10:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
1- There's nothing inherently wrong with eating the foods that your husband bought if he can stick to them and is having no problems eating just those things.

2- There is no need for you to be on that eating program. It's very unthoughtful and selfish of him to coerce you into eating the same things he is.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 AM

380 posts, read 652,930 times
Potatoes, rice, and corn are very filling and not calorie-dense. That's what I ate to lose weight, among other things, and I was always satiated. And please kill me if I ever use the word "hangry." ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss