Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post

I usually eat a high protein breakfast, like 2 boiled eggs and a protein shake. (This is the only thing I've found will keep me from starving the rest of the day.)
Protein shakes can cause weight gain if you're not working out hard enough to burn it off. Plus, you have to be careful which type of shake you're consuming; some are pretty high in sugar. Maybe consider ditching the shake altogether and having a veggie omelette instead. Maybe a slice of high fiber toast or some cooked grains (if you eat them).

Quote:
Lunch is usually soup and salad
This can make or break your day. Are we talking a big bowl of New England clam chowder and a salad with heavy dressing and toppings... or a serving of homemade soup and big green salad with just a little oil and vinegar? Maybe have some grilled chicken or a can of tuna with the salad, instead of the soup; more filling and nutritious, for probably calories.

Quote:
snack is usually cheese and nuts or a mini bag of popcorn.
Depending on your portions, you could be taking in a few hundred extra calories in snacks alone. Maybe have half as much of those, and swap the other half for some sliced raw veggies.

Quote:
Dinner is balanced with protein, veg, and a moderate portion of carbs.
That sounds fine, depending on the portions. Personally, I like to use non-standard measurement for portions: a palm-sized amount of protein; a cupped handful of carb; two handsful of naked steamed veggies; a thumbnail size portion of added fat (if any at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Have you had your thyroid checked? I would ask to have a full thyroid panel done including TSH, T3, T4, Reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies. Getting your TSH alone checked is not sufficient to tell you what is going on.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:14 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Have you had your thyroid checked? I would ask to have a full thyroid panel done including TSH, T3, T4, Reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies. Getting your TSH alone checked is not sufficient to tell you what is going on.
Yes, I didn't even think of that. The less rigorous test can miss problems.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:55 PM

645 posts, read 750,767 times
i think some of the problem may be your age....im also 36 and stay very fit have been for years..i exercise daily and eat right and just this year started noticing its a little easier to gain a few lbs and harder to keep them off....most likely change in metabolism and hormones....also I never drink protein shakes I tried them before and I started gaining weight.....your exercise routine doesn't seem that intense...maybe step it up a bit....more cardio might help with the extra weight...

Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Thank you everyone, you've all given some great advice. I dropped the protein shake today. Next week after I've had a few days to adjust I'll drop the soup and add some chicken to my salad. After that I'll decide what to do next (I always get overwhelmed if I do everything all at once, I have to take baby steps lol). Oh, and I made another appointment with my doc for tomorrow to get the full thyroid panel.

I started the (low carb) protein shakes when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes. They really helped keep my blood sugar level throughout the day and I never had to take any meds. After having the kids, the diabetes went away, but I never stopped the shakes. Never occurred to me they would actually make me gain weight lol.

If you have any more ideas, feel free to drop them here, I will be back reading this thing every week or so to pick the next thing to work on. And thank you guys.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:52 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone, you've all given some great advice. I dropped the protein shake today. Next week after I've had a few days to adjust I'll drop the soup and add some chicken to my salad. After that I'll decide what to do next (I always get overwhelmed if I do everything all at once, I have to take baby steps lol). Oh, and I made another appointment with my doc for tomorrow to get the full thyroid panel.

I started the (low carb) protein shakes when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes. They really helped keep my blood sugar level throughout the day and I never had to take any meds. After having the kids, the diabetes went away, but I never stopped the shakes. Never occurred to me they would actually make me gain weight lol.

If you have any more ideas, feel free to drop them here, I will be back reading this thing every week or so to pick the next thing to work on. And thank you guys.
Me too. I did my diet for a month with MyFitnessPal before adding in the Couch to 5K program last week. I'm going to let that become a habit before adding in the squats, pushups and situps. (I also bought the pull-up app, but honestly? Eff that. LOL.)

I always start out with grand plans, but then I have to regroup and break them up into steps.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 AM

551 posts, read 582,903 times
I don't really have advice - but wanted to say CONGRATS on quitting smoking! Wow that's a great achievement. I feel you on the weight issue though - I have been struggling more to lose weight since I hit about late 20's (30 now) as my metabolism has evidently slowed down. Whereas WW (Weight Watchers) could easily shake 15 pounds off me each month in my early 20's, now it barely moves half that.

The one thing that I have found to really help me lose in the past three years was to cut out sugar and refined carbs. I did this for one month last year and lost nearly 20 pounds with no counting or tracking - or exercising at that point (I had an injury). I made better choices generally but didn't force it. After that I started allowing small amounts (one treat per day), lo and behold, I've gained it back. It's tough to find a balance between "not restricting to the point of deprivation" and "eating few enough calories to lose weight." It sucks being an emotional eater. It does sound like this isn't your issue since you are counting calories carefully, it's likely a medical issue (as nikita advised). I wish you all the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss