Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:40 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times

Advertisements

I LOVE food. It gives me great joy, from high-end cuisine to fast food burgers. I love to cook and try new restaurants. I eat more and worse when I'm stressed or depressed, but not by much.

So I went cold turkey on a lot of my favorite things because they have a ton of empty calories and are "trigger" foods for me (primarily dessert items, candy, pasta and pizza - plus most bread). Part of the reason for that strategy is the hope that I lose my taste for them - it has happened with other things. (See my thread on how moderation isn't really my thing.)

I've been fine - no serious temptation. But I'm also at a very low-stress and happy point in my life. And I'm completely AWARE of what I'm missing out on. My roommate brought home some Ben N Jerry's cookies n cream ice cream with a "cheesecake core" and I almost plotzed.

And this is my thought process as I drive down the road:
"MickeyDs? Ooh yeah, I'd get the crispy chicken sandwich with fries and sweet n sour sauce. Look there's burger king, love the spicy chicken fries and bacon cheeseburgers. WENDY's! I'd get the Baconator with a baked potato and put extra butter on it... There's the pizza place, hmmmm...."

Mindfulness and planning are the keys - when I was at the Mexican restaurant on Saturday, I had an idea of what I was going to order but not how many tortilla chips I would allow myself. So I got to talking and socializing and just kept munching. Before I knew it, I had that uncomfortably full feeling - but still kept munching because the chips were a really good quality (homemade) and hit all my sensation receptors (salt, fat, carbs).

But is it really going to be like this all the time? I don't exactly feel deprived, but I'm always hyperaware of the food options around me and how awesome they are. I feel like a recovering alcoholic in a warehouse liquor store. It's a little exhausting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM

551 posts, read 583,769 times
I can't exactly answer your question (since I've never gotten that far) but curious- How long have you been avoiding your triggers? I took a month off last year from sugar and processed carbs, and the entire month went great. I lost 17 pounds and never had serious cravings. Then, I decided to start allowing one treat a day when I started classes again...and right down the slippery slope I went. I wanted very badly to be able to moderate because I am one who tends to rebound binge when restricting/counting calories. It doesn't work for me I guess.

One Weird Trick (TM) I have used when I see those joints and get an incredible urge for a double cheeseburger basket is to tell myself, okay, I can have it, but I have to wait 24 hours. After a few minutes or hours the urge passes and by the next day I've forgotten all about it. For me just knowing it's allowed and NOT forbidden can be all it takes to stay on track. It is exhausting to have to have to think through every thing, and it feels A LOT like an addiction (even if it's not).

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:09 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,434,264 times
You need to find some calling or purpose to your life.

If I ever get to a place in my life where food is all that gives me joy and happiness then I'd put a .45 caliber bullet through my head. Seriously, I like food, but there is just so much more to enjoy and get out of life than just getting enjoyment from eating sh*tty foods. I know people like this and all they do is post online pictures of the food they are eating, food they wanna eat, pintrest recipies of fatty or sugary foods, etc. Im like "Is that all there is to your life?". These are the same people who always complain about not being able to lose weight or how people give them dirty looks at the market when they see what is in their carts.

I dont know if what I have to offer helps because I am not a person who gets happiness and (as you say) "great joy" from eating food. But what I have done is:

1. Go cold turkey on ALL soft drinks. After a while, you just dont want it and even if/when you do try it it tastes awful. I grew up drinking soda and had it a lot, but once I figured out it has no place in healthy lifestyle I just stopped it. I have no desire or urge to ever drink it again.

2. Fix your brain by getting in touch with your body. Do SOMETHING physical like yoga, taichi, martial arts, etc. Something that has a spiritual aspect to it. When developing this, you gain control over your body and mind and this absolutely helps prevent you from giving in to those urges of "I gotta have some cake".

3. Educate yourself on nutrition. This along with #2 above will go a long long way. Once you get in touch with your body, you'll learn to appreciate it so much more. You'll also be able to feel/perceive little things that make it not function so well. If you eat some fries or McDonalds burger you'll feel it in your body almost INSTANTLY. You'll feel "not quite right" or slow, sluggish, etc. This itself will alleviate any need/desire for horrible food.

4. No idle munching/snacks. This is where a lot of people go wrong. They will sit and watch tv, surf the net, etc and think "I want something sweet/salty..." or "something to snack on". Next thing you know you just ate a whole bag of doritos or something similar. Once you get the nutriton part down (see #3) you'll not really want snacks, and if you do, they will be healthy ones.

I still sometimes want some cake, but I never have it in the house and because of me paying attention to #3 above, the craving goes away after 5-10 seconds.

Another good way to kill all cravings is to have your tv on to "My 600 lb life" all day. That'll definitely do it. You'll see a pattern of why people get like that:

1. I have mental illness/depression so I eat.
2. Eating makes me happy.
3. I have enablers
4. I am ignorant about health and nutrition.
5. I sit and eat all day because I have no passion for life.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You need to find some calling or purpose to your life.

If I ever get to a place in my life where food is all that gives me joy and happiness then I'd put a .45 caliber bullet through my head. Seriously, I like food, but there is just so much more to enjoy and get out of life than just getting enjoyment from eating sh*tty foods. I know people like this and all they do is post online pictures of the food they are eating, food they wanna eat, pintrest recipies of fatty or sugary foods, etc. Im like "Is that all there is to your life?". These are the same people who always complain about not being able to lose weight or how people give them dirty looks at the market when they see what is in their carts.

I dont know if what I have to offer helps because I am not a person who gets happiness and (as you say) "great joy" from eating food. But what I have done is:

1. Go cold turkey on ALL soft drinks. After a while, you just dont want it and even if/when you do try it it tastes awful. I grew up drinking soda and had it a lot, but once I figured out it has no place in healthy lifestyle I just stopped it. I have no desire or urge to ever drink it again.

2. Fix your brain by getting in touch with your body. Do SOMETHING physical like yoga, taichi, martial arts, etc. Something that has a spiritual aspect to it. When developing this, you gain control over your body and mind and this absolutely helps prevent you from giving in to those urges of "I gotta have some cake".

3. Educate yourself on nutrition. This along with #2 above will go a long long way. Once you get in touch with your body, you'll learn to appreciate it so much more. You'll also be able to feel/perceive little things that make it not function so well. If you eat some fries or McDonalds burger you'll feel it in your body almost INSTANTLY. You'll feel "not quite right" or slow, sluggish, etc. This itself will alleviate any need/desire for horrible food.

4. No idle munching/snacks. This is where a lot of people go wrong. They will sit and watch tv, surf the net, etc and think "I want something sweet/salty..." or "something to snack on". Next thing you know you just ate a whole bag of doritos or something similar. Once you get the nutriton part down (see #3) you'll not really want snacks, and if you do, they will be healthy ones.

I still sometimes want some cake, but I never have it in the house and because of me paying attention to #3 above, the craving goes away after 5-10 seconds.

Another good way to kill all cravings is to have your tv on to "My 600 lb life" all day. That'll definitely do it. You'll see a pattern of why people get like that:

1. I have mental illness/depression so I eat.
2. Eating makes me happy.
3. I have enablers
4. I am ignorant about health and nutrition.
5. I sit and eat all day because I have no passion for life.
Kind of patronizing. Food is not the only thing in my life that gives me joy.

I attend a creative writing and book group, train and compete with two high-energy dogs, volunteer with refugees, garden, have taken up jogging as part of my weight-loss plan and socialize frequently with friends, in addition to working a very demanding full-time job. I also enjoy cooking and and food. Save your bullets.

I also know what is bad for me and what's good for me. I just also enjoy food of all kinds.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
I can't exactly answer your question (since I've never gotten that far) but curious- How long have you been avoiding your triggers? I took a month off last year from sugar and processed carbs, and the entire month went great. I lost 17 pounds and never had serious cravings. Then, I decided to start allowing one treat a day when I started classes again...and right down the slippery slope I went. I wanted very badly to be able to moderate because I am one who tends to rebound binge when restricting/counting calories. It doesn't work for me I guess.

One Weird Trick (TM) I have used when I see those joints and get an incredible urge for a double cheeseburger basket is to tell myself, okay, I can have it, but I have to wait 24 hours. After a few minutes or hours the urge passes and by the next day I've forgotten all about it. For me just knowing it's allowed and NOT forbidden can be all it takes to stay on track. It is exhausting to have to have to think through every thing, and it feels A LOT like an addiction (even if it's not).

Good luck!
It's been a month and a half. And I'm amazed you took of 17 pounds in a month - congratulations!

I like your trademarked "Weird Trick" - it's a great idea.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:27 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,246,000 times
I do not believe cravings have to be part of weight loss. Certainly not part of weight maintenance.

For a lot if not all of the things you gave up on there are healthy alternatives. Whole grain breads are not empty calories and the fibers in them have the benefit of making you feel full and thus end your cravings. Fats have a similar effect in that they make you feel full. Plus the body needs (healthy) fats. If you make a pizza yourself using whole grains for the crust and healthy ingredients for the topping, a pizza is no less healthy than a salad or a sandwich. Most fast food products can be recreated in the kitchen in a healthy and yet delicious way.

When I want to lose weight fast I sometimes fast for a day and the cravings, if my diet outside that day is healthy, usually go away after an hour or so at which point I feel myself become more energetic as my body starts using its fat reserve for energy.

So to summarize: chronic cravings do not have to be part of the process, it is an indication that you are taking a wrong approach in my opinion. My advice is that you start cooking the things that you crave from the fast food chains yourself.

Finally, this list has helped me in the past to guide my eating behaviour when having cravings when I started my weight loss/healthy diet process:
Food Cravings? Here Is What Your Body Really Wants. -

Old 04-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
I do not believe cravings have to be part of weight loss. Certainly not part of weight maintenance.

For a lot if not all of the things you gave up on there are healthy alternatives. Whole grain breads are not empty calories and the fibers in them have the benefit of making you feel full and thus end your cravings. Fats have a similar effect in that they make you feel full. Plus the body needs (healthy) fats. If you make a pizza yourself using whole grains for the crust and healthy ingredients for the topping, a pizza is no less healthy than a salad or a sandwich. Most fast food products can be recreated in the kitchen in a healthy and yet delicious way.

When I want to lose weight fast I sometimes fast for a day and the cravings, if my diet outside that day is healthy, usually go away after an hour or so at which point I feel myself become more energetic as my body starts using its fat reserve for energy.

So to summarize: chronic cravings do not have to be part of the process, it is an indication that you are taking a wrong approach in my opinion. My advice is that you start cooking the things that you crave from the fast food chains yourself.

Finally, this list has helped me in the past to guide my eating behaviour when having cravings when I started my weight loss/healthy diet process:
Food Cravings? Here Is What Your Body Really Wants. -
That's the most complete list of cravings and alternatives I've seen - thanks!

I think I may have explained myself badly. It's not cravings for a particular food that are hard to manage - it's the constant mindfulness that I must exercise. I've been using much of your suggested strategy (just without that awesome list). I even started a thread called "Foods that save you" a little while back. Honestly, a hot cup of tea takes care of most of the issue when I'm in my house. I do eat a lot of "substitutes" at home.

And I allow myself fast food on weekends if I've eaten appropriately otherwise during the day and it's within my calorie limit.

But it's really when I'm out and driving around and see fast-food places while I'm thinking about getting lunch or when I'm socializing and not paying attention to what I've ingested because I'm chatting and listening or there are no alternatives. Like with a basket of chips.

And sometimes I feel a little sad about not being able to enjoy my favorites without careful planning. In fact, I may never be able to enjoy some of my favorites, simply because they trigger a cycle of unfortunate choices. Buying a pint of ice cream and keeping it in the fridge as an occasional treat isn't an option - I'll eat the whole thing in 2 days.

I just feel like I'm always going to be fighting with my brain and reining it in. So far I've been pretty good. No random, unplanned stops - I wait until I get home to eat or carry a small bag of almonds with me. I guess I'm just wondering when that kind of mindfulness becomes second nature.

I guess I'm glad I'm in Colorado and not in Jersey anymore, though. Pizza is my biggest trigger food, and in my home state "grabbing a slice" with someone is kind of a normal social activity and a common "emergency" pit stop if you're hungry. Except with me, it's never ONE slice.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,234,342 times
The only way to eliminate the cravings is to not eat the foods you do not cravings for. It really is as simple as that. When you are in a pattern of eating unhealthy your body will crave unhealthy, when you are in a pattern of eating healthy, your body will crave healthy. This is not oversimplifying, trust me. Mind you I can still destroy 4 or 5 slices of pizza or a double order of wings every once in a while, but its every once in a while.

The transition period is hard and will take a couple months, but learn to find healthy foods that are tasty and fill your gut with them and eliminate the hunger. A mistake people make is just filling up on carbs as some pseudo-healthy alternative. It is not, you will probably gain weight doing that.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:23 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,831,741 times
This may sound harsh but there really is a simple decision to make. Do you want lose weight? Do you want to lose weight more than you want to eat food that is counterproductive to losing weight?
It really is kind of a hard question to answer truthfully. Because if your answer is yes then you have to understand that sacrifices HAVE to be made. Losing weight is HARD. It is a mental game way more than a physical one. However once you truly decide that you want to lose weight you will understand that excuses are a recipe for failure.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This may sound harsh but there really is a simple decision to make. Do you want lose weight? Do you want to lose weight more than you want to eat food that is counterproductive to losing weight?
It really is kind of a hard question to answer truthfully. Because if your answer is yes then you have to understand that sacrifices HAVE to be made. Losing weight is HARD. It is a mental game way more than a physical one. However once you truly decide that you want to lose weight you will understand that excuses are a recipe for failure.
I believe harsh is the guy who seemed to be suggesting I should put a bullet in my head. Actually, I have another word for that, but the moderators probably wouldn't be cool with it.

You make a good point. I've already kind of adopted a mantra similar to that, which I modified from one about smoking: If you don't want to be a fat person, then stop acting like a fat person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss