Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 10:20 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,596,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That sentence right there is why you are having a hard time losing weight. You are making excuses. There are no excuses when trying to lose weight. I guess I need to shout this from the rooftops - Losing weight is hard!!!!
It takes SACRIFICE. You will be out of your comfort zone - for awhile. But give yourself a chance, it does get easier. But as long as you make excuses nothing will change.

I'm feeding my imagination and trying not to feed my face so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 10:34 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,176,996 times
Eat less. Eat better. Don't get distracted by so-called fat blockers, cabbage etc.

You don't need to ride a bike to work. If you took a walk around the block before your nap in the afternoon, it would be better than what you're doing now.

You might even find you don't need the nap at that point.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...Id-323468.html

http://www.rd.com/health/healthy-eat...ate-junk-food/

Old 04-13-2016, 11:19 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,277,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I don't know. I just noticed that I'm getting fat. I've been getting that way for a while, and although I want to stop and go down to a healthy weight, I want it to happen fast. Are there foods I can eat that will actually help me burn fat? I've heard cutting calories below your needed amount could actually make you gain fat (because your body thinks it's being starved), so I've been reluctant to do it.

I've thought about taking a fat blocker and drinking more caffeine, but I don't know if any of that would help. I could also maybe start eating grapefruit and cabbage.
You don't need to stress your system anymore. If you get some exercise, even a ten minute walk, you will feel better.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:46 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,574,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That sentence right there is why you are having a hard time losing weight. You are making excuses. There are no excuses when trying to lose weight. I guess I need to shout this from the rooftops - Losing weight is hard!!!!
It takes SACRIFICE. You will be out of your comfort zone - for awhile. But give yourself a chance, it does get easier. But as long as you make excuses nothing will change.
This. This. And btw, This. ^^^^^

Signed,
someone who is trying to lose 40 lbs. total, is down 27, and hates giving up food, but loves fitting into size 10.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
This. This. And btw, This. ^^^^^

Signed,
someone who is trying to lose 40 lbs. total, is down 27, and hates giving up food, but loves fitting into size 10.
I get it. I guess I have let myself get plain old lazy. I work two jobs, but they both involve sitting down. I guess I'll start ignoring the urge to eat when I'm bored and tired and might just go for a walk or something instead. I really would like to start riding a bike where I need to go, but the roads are pretty busy. I'm in good shape and can walk several miles without getting tired; I just haven't taken the opportunity to do it in months.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:02 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,696,868 times
Eat smaller portions.

Eat meals though, but healthier.

As for snacks, try fruits and veggies rather than junk.

If possible walk or do some physical activity during free time.

Know that you can lose one or two pounds per week, don't think you will lose ten pounds a week. It's not true.

When weighing yourself, now that no one weighs just one number. On a given day even if you go on the scale naked, your weight reading will vary by as much as four pounds. That is normal.

Again have healthy meals, don't starve yourself.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:03 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,092,492 times
Do you manage to get in an hour of TV watching a day?

If so, buy a treadmill and make your first hour of watching happen while walking on it.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Do you manage to get in an hour of TV watching a day?

If so, buy a treadmill and make your first hour of watching happen while walking on it.
It's mostly internet surfing, which might prove difficult to do on a treadmill. I could get a local gym membership for around $10 per month, but I don't like working out at gyms around people. I know from experience that walking is my best strategy. I just haven't taken the time to go for long walks. Sometimes, my feet and legs hurt when I'm on them for too long, so walking for long distances is sometimes quite uncomfortable. Another option would be investing in a small trampoline; they don't cost as much as treadmills.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:23 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,311,285 times
I have faith in you, kmb501! I understand what you're going through because I agree that sitting down all the time causes lethargy. Lethargy breeds fatigue and food cravings to stay awake, and it's a hard pattern to break out of especially when it's your JOB & DUTY to be sitting in a chair all day. Ugh.

You've mentioned a strong desire to bike to work. It really is a fine idea. I ride my bicycle everywhere, and it's very energizing. I used to drive the car everywhere & the benefits of driving are speed, convenience, and protection from the weather. But the downside is lethargy, which snowballs into all-around not feeling physically & mentally well because sitting still is simply not healthy! I understand that you say it's not always ideal to bicycle, and you're right. You always have your car as a back-up. You've got every tool at your disposal for your success, now just get your mind over any obstacles, and as Nike says, "Just do it!" Literally, the next moment you catch yourself hemming & hawing & overthinking, STOP. Immediately get up & get moving. Just Do It!

Try your bicycle path to work, maybe today on an off-day Sunday when there's less traffic, to get a feel of the route, and prepare yourself physically & mentally for the days there will be heavier traffic. On rainy days it's still do-able, I'm a 40-year-old lady and I do it, you can too if you want to! But you still have your car or public transport as backups, so just get your body moving, it will make you feel all-around better. I believe in you!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:02 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,247,771 times
The info provided is just not enough to know what you should do. Eating fast food/junk food every day is in itself not a reason for increased weight, not even if you don't exercise. It's not healthy but you need to look at what you eat or drink besides the junk food. Do you drink soda or alcohol for example? Those can be the game changers in this case. Do you eat lots of candy, chocolate, ice-cream etc. besides the fast food dinners?

You need to provide more information about your eating/drinking habits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss