Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 04:18 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
At 29 you can lose weight just fine. I am actually surprised you are 29, your posts read more like a teenager. Going to a gym and using the treadmill will do zero for weight loss if you are not already eating at a calorie deficit.
This is just very simple - do you want to lose weight? If the answer is yes then stop looking for excuses and just do it.
Sorry that my posts sound like a kid's. I work at a juvenile detention center. Maybe some of the immaturity of the kids has rubbed off on me? It's possible, since I'm around them most of the time, maybe more or, at least as much as I'm around adults.

Why would I want to eat at a calorie deficit and trick my body into storing fat? I've never done that in the past unless I quit eating altogether for a few days (for other reasons besides losing weight); I just upped my activity level to gain muscle that zapped the fat. I know metabolism changes with age and hormonal differences, and I do have increased estrogen levels possibly, because of hormones I was on a year ago (and should still be on), but eating less to lose weight seems counter-intuitive because of our fat storage mechanisms.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I thought if your body normally requires 2000 calories per day, you could consume your calorie requirement and just add exercises that burn about 500 calories per day, and that way, you are burning more calories than your body requires but not starving yourself. Further, you are building muscle, which burns fat for energy; I thought building muscle was the key to burning fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 04:31 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Sorry that my posts sound like a kid's. I work at a juvenile detention center. Maybe some of the immaturity of the kids has rubbed off on me? It's possible, since I'm around them most of the time, maybe more or, at least as much as I'm around adults.

Why would I want to eat at a calorie deficit and trick my body into storing fat? I've never done that in the past unless I quit eating altogether for a few days (for other reasons besides losing weight); I just upped my activity level to gain muscle that zapped the fat. I know metabolism changes with age and hormonal differences, and I do have increased estrogen levels possibly, because of hormones I was on a year ago (and should still be on), but eating less to lose weight seems counter-intuitive because of our fat storage mechanisms.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I thought if your body normally requires 2000 calories per day, you could consume your calorie requirement and just add exercises that burn about 500 calories per day, and that way, you are burning more calories than your body requires but not starving yourself. Further, you are building muscle, which burns fat for energy; I thought building muscle was the key to burning fat.

Eating in a calorie deficit does not trick your body into storing fat. It simply causes your body to burn fat, as you are taking in less calories than it burns. If you go super low, then maybe you'll have issues, I don't know. I say that if one continues to eat in a caloric deficit consistently, they may be miserable and cranky, but they WILL lose weight.

So you stated you know that if you just add exercise and muscle, that can be your deficit. OK, do that then.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:20 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Quote:

Adding muscle burns very little in the way of extra calories. Each pound of muscle added burns less than 10 calories per day.

A caloric deficit does not trick your body into storing fat.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:22 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Adding muscle burns very little in the way of extra calories. Each pound of muscle added burns less than 10 calories per day.

A caloric deficit does not trick your body into storing fat.

Okay, then clear this one up for me. Why You Have To Eat To Lose Fat
I've always heard that starving yourself will make you gain weight; the idea that eating less calories than my body needs will make it burn fat seems to contradict this. Is "starvation mode" just a myth?

I remember once when I was a teen, I started eating very few calories and exercising out of a desire to lose weight; it didn't really work that well. My weight stayed the same. I started out in the normal range but not my desired weight and I remained about the same, minus a pound or two maybe, but I saw no difference. What worked was leaving my worry about weight gain, eating lots protein-rich foods--meat mostly, and exercising a whole lot. I wasn't thinking about losing weight while doing this, either; it just happened.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Quote:
I've always heard that starving yourself will make you gain weight; the idea that eating less calories than my body needs will make it burn fat seems to contradict this. Is "starvation mode" just a myth?
There is a huge difference between an adequate caloric deficit and not eating anything at all.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:25 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:

You're kind of the poster child for the phrase "you can't outrun a bad diet." If you're really eating what you say that you eat, there's no way you could burn off those extra calories just by working out a little. You need to not eat those calories in the first place (AND workout a little.)

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-19-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I remember once when I was a teen, I started eating very few calories and exercising out of a desire to lose weight; it didn't really work that well. My weight stayed the same. I started out in the normal range but not my desired weight and I remained about the same, minus a pound or two maybe, but I saw no difference. What worked was leaving my worry about weight gain, eating lots protein-rich foods--meat mostly, and exercising a whole lot. I wasn't thinking about losing weight while doing this, either; it just happened.
I know all the conflicting information is confusing, but just STOP and THINK for a moment:

Starving will make you gain weight?? Not putting food into your body, therefore leaving your body nothing to take for energy will make you gain weight? No, does not work that way.

Might the body fight a little if you're only feeding it x amount of calories? Maybe. I know a lot of people that downright state that starvation mode IS a myth.

You're exactly right in what you said -- you left your worry about weight gain and just ate right. Since you were a teen, weight loss happened, because teens can do that quicker than us old people.

This is what I have accepted as fact:

Eat LESS than you BURN to lose weight. I burn 1200 being alive, 1500 if I get my ass off the bed, 1800 if I exercise. To lose weight, I must eat around 1300 calories. If I want more food, I must burn more calories through moving. It's all about calories in and calories out for weight loss. Period. End of story. No buts.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post

Everyone these days touts building muscle as the greatest way to help weight loss. They say it burns fat, even while sitting. You, and couple others say no, it really doesn't burn all that much more. I'm sure it's good for toning and getting a rocking body and maybe avoiding that "skinny fat" that again, people seem to be all talking against these days.

I JUST want to lose weight and be thin by 50 (17 months from now), fit into size 6. I'm planning to continue to work on weight machines at the gym, in my hapless fashion and cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
I am not sure KMB is actually this clueless. On another thread she was giving common sense advice to another poster.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Even half an hour of exercise/day would help, especially if you cut the junk food and emphasize protein and vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss