Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:40 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,585,727 times

Advertisements

I've been letting stress get the best of me lately. I've been eating junk food, and I probably weigh about 180 pounds. I've noticed a double chin forming, and my cheeks and stomach have filled out. I need to get back to a healthy weight and lose this icky looking chin and stomach. Do you have any suggestions?

Here is what my schedule usually looks like
5:30 Get up for work
7:00 AM Begin work
3:00 Leave work
3:30 Get home
4:00 Take a nap
5:00 Go out / go back to work
9:00 Get home again
10:00 Plan / Get ready for bed
11:00 Go to sleep

Since I have a few hours free each day, I could probably squeeze in some exercise. I'm usually very tired, though. I get up around 3:30 AM and sometimes stay up until 4:00 or 5:00, most mornings. Plus, I'm somewhat active as is. One more hour of exercise doesn't really feel like it will make much of a difference.

About me:

I'm 29 years old
Female
Hold sort of a "desk job"
Drive to work; I would like to walk or ride a bike to work to get extra exercise, but I've been advised against it.
Weigh about 180 lbs
About 5'6"

Diet:
Junk food and fast food more than 3 times per week
I also prepare and eat healthier options, but I frequently overeat even when I'm eating healthy.

Last edited by krmb; 04-12-2016 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,564,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I've been letting stress get the best of me lately. I've been eating junk food, and I probably weigh about 180 pounds. I've noticed a double chin forming, and my cheeks and stomach have filled out. I need to get back to a healthy weight and lose this icky looking chin and stomach. Do you have any suggestions?

Since I have a few hours free each day, I could probably squeeze in some exercise. I'm usually very tired, though. I get up around 3:30 AM and sometimes stay up until 4:00 or 5:00, most mornings. Plus, I'm somewhat active as is. One more hour of exercise doesn't really feel like it will make much of a difference.

About me:

I'm 29 years old
Female
Drive to work; I would like to walk or ride a bike to work to get extra exercise, but I've been advised against it.
Weigh about 180 lbs
About 5'6"

Diet:
I also prepare and eat healthier options, but I frequently overeat even when I'm eating healthy.

Here's how I read your post:

I'm fat. I'm busy. I don't think exercise will help. I eat junk food. I overeat.

Why am I fat? Any suggestions?

ME:

Stop eating junk food. Stop overeating. Eat healthy in appropriate portions. Exercise, for 1 hour per day.

It really is that simple. It's YOUR decision whether you will heed the advice.

On July 24, 2014, I decided to do all of the above. Well, OK, I didn't exercise consistently. I am down 28 pounds. It's about what YOU want and YOUR choices.

Food is delicious and will always be there to tempt you. Do you want all the delicious food or do you want one chin? You decide.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,913,776 times
Quote:

About me:

I'm 29 years old
Female
Weigh about 180 lbs
About 5'6"

Diet:

You know the answers to what you need to do already.

Why are you advised against riding or walking to work?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:05 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
No junk food; it's addictive and not very good for you.

Look up some healthy snacks so you won't overeat on your healthy foods.

(I make air popped popcorn and add a tiny bit of olive oil--but maybe that's too much. I don't know because I'm not on a diet.)

I've heard that even vacuuming and strenuous housework can work off extra calories. You'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:47 PM

I don't know. I just noticed that I'm getting fat. I've been getting that way for a while, and although I want to stop and go down to a healthy weight, I want it to happen fast. Are there foods I can eat that will actually help me burn fat? I've heard cutting calories below your needed amount could actually make you gain fat (because your body thinks it's being starved), so I've been reluctant to do it.

I've thought about taking a fat blocker and drinking more caffeine, but I don't know if any of that would help. I could also maybe start eating grapefruit and cabbage.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Download a food tracking app and catalog everything that you eat. There isn't any kind of magic food that will make you lose weight, but a greater awareness of what you're actually eating and where your diet is lacking is a good first step.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:22 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,303,569 times
1) Beginning this very moment, pretend that fast food doesn't exist, and never eat it again. Be prepared for cravings by keeping healthy filling foods available at all times. Walnuts, almonds, avocados, oatmeal, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc. Colorful bell peppers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and dip all those veggies in hummus or guac.

2) Why is someone advising against bicycling to work? Well I understand if you don't want to begin your work day at a desk all sweaty. Is there a workout room with showers at your place of work? Some businesses have that.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
1) Beginning this very moment, pretend that fast food doesn't exist, and never eat it again. Be prepared for cravings by keeping healthy filling foods available at all times. Walnuts, almonds, avocados, oatmeal, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc. Colorful bell peppers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and dip all those veggies in hummus or guac.

2) Why is someone advising against bicycling to work? Well I understand if you don't want to begin your work day at a desk all sweaty. Is there a workout room with showers at your place of work? Some businesses have that.
I've done that. I just overeat whatever I have in general, and I don't always get enough sleep. I think I eat more to keep myself awake.

The road that I would have to use is fairly congested in the morning, but I might get an old bicycle and go for a practice ride to see if the speculation is correct anyway. Getting away from unproductively sitting all day would be great. It rains a lot around here, though. I would probably have to pay for a shuttle or bus when it rains.

I thought taking extra caffeine might help with my lack of energy and stop me from constantly feeling like I need to eat to stay awake. I sometimes get food cravings, chocolate, red meats, nuts, leafy vegetables and binge on them when I'm low on iron, so maybe I'm deficient in some kind of vitamin?

Old 04-13-2016, 09:05 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,564,704 times
Quote:
I don't know. I just noticed that I'm getting fat. I've been getting that way for a while, and although I want to stop and go down to a healthy weight, I want it to happen fast. Are there foods I can eat that will actually help me burn fat? I've heard cutting calories below your needed amount could actually make you gain fat (because your body thinks it's being starved), so I've been reluctant to do it.

I've thought about taking a fat blocker and drinking more caffeine, but I don't know if any of that would help. I could also maybe start eating grapefruit and cabbage.
Fat blocker = stop shoving too much food into your piehole.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,830,761 times
Quote:
I've done that. I just overeat whatever I have in general, and I don't always get enough sleep. I think I eat more to keep myself awake.

The road that I would have to use is fairly congested in the morning, but I might get an old bicycle and go for a practice ride to see if the speculation is correct anyway. Getting away from unproductively sitting all day would be great. It rains a lot around here, though. I would probably have to pay for a shuttle or bus when it rains.

I thought taking extra caffeine might help with my lack of energy and stop me from constantly feeling like I need to eat to stay awake. I sometimes get food cravings, chocolate, red meats, nuts, leafy vegetables and binge on them when I'm low on iron, so maybe I'm deficient in some kind of vitamin?
That sentence right there is why you are having a hard time losing weight. You are making excuses. There are no excuses when trying to lose weight. I guess I need to shout this from the rooftops - Losing weight is hard!!!!
It takes SACRIFICE. You will be out of your comfort zone - for awhile. But give yourself a chance, it does get easier. But as long as you make excuses nothing will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss