Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:12 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,695,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
As far as I'm concerned, all bets are off when Aunt Flo is fixing for a visit. Enjoy a few small indulgences, and then get back on track
This, just set a date that you will clean up your eating and hold yourself accoubtable. Maybe plan a walk with a friend in said date. I eat pretty clean but when the time of the month comes around I'll eat more sweets and greasy burgers without guilt. My only goal is to NOT eat everything in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:57 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,295,755 times
To those saying think logically, you don't get it.

Hormones play a HUGE role in weight. During PMS your hormones are all over the place.

That being said, I don't know how old the OP is, but if you are going to have to deal with PMS for a while you need to find a way to work around it or you will derail your progress every month.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
To those saying think logically, you don't get it.

Hormones play a HUGE role in weight. During PMS your hormones are all over the place.

That being said, I don't know how old the OP is, but if you are going to have to deal with PMS for a while you need to find a way to work around it or you will derail your progress every month.
Definitely. I am meticulous about my diet, but when those hormones start crashing, I'll claw someone's face off if they try to get between me and my PMS Crunch (my customized monthly blend of salty, sweet, and spicy snacks). However, I do have a strict limit of how much I let myself have; it's pre-measured into a re-purposed jelly jar, and when it's gone, it's gone. Feed the beast, but don't go on a no-holds-barred, balls-to-the-wall junk food binge.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 04-22-2016 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 02:21 PM

29,783 posts, read 34,555,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Feed the beast, but don't go on a no-hold-barred, balls-to-the-wall junk food binge.
Right, because many times you'll do more damage eating around your cravings than if you'd actually just had the mac and cheese (my personal poison) in the first place.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:41 PM

17,581 posts, read 39,282,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
First, stop thinking of food in terms of being "naughty." Food is not virtue. It's fuel for your body. When you eat too much you get fat. When you eat too little you get skinny.

Second, slow down and think very logically about what you're doing and why. You're trying to lose weight and doing so makes you healthier and happier. You're also craving carbs and sugar, probably because of your period. Figure out a compromise you can live with. Eat come carbs and sugar, then throw or give the rest away.

Don't blame anyone else for the choices you make.
I agree with this. OP, it takes a while to make new habits when it comes to eating and exercising. Believe me, I was the girl with the uncontrollable sweet tooth (and carb tooth) almost my whole life until I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic. That made me more motivated to take control of things. That said, don't feel like it's "all or nothing" whether it's exercise or eating. I allow myself some small indulgences. And I find fun ways to work it off - I love bicycling and dancing. Find something you love to do, maybe Zumba classes, a sport, whatever. And some days you just won't care, that is being human.

For me it took several years but I lost 50 lbs and at age 66 look younger than I did 10 years ago. People who haven't seen me for awhile are astounded. And when you achieve something like this it becomes it's own reward and keeps you motivated. Plus you just feel so good when you are eating more healthy and exercising (and looking good in the process!)

I hope this helps you some. Never tell yourself you can't have something, but I would suggest trying to eat your healthy foods during the day, and have a small indulgence after dinner. That is what works for me. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:54 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, because many times you'll do more damage eating around your cravings than if you'd actually just had the mac and cheese (my personal poison) in the first place.
This is so true! When that PMS craving hits just eat what your body is screaming at you to eat. Just eat a smaller portion. Craving will be gone and the damage if any will be minimal.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 PM

387 posts, read 558,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
a/k/a I've fallen down and can't get up a/k/a I just don't give one flying f---

I just bought new expensive walking shoes and I have zero motivation to use them. My period is coming and I think that's why I want to eat all the sugar. I purposely bought cookies and junk and plan to be naughty at least until Monday. I feel like I'm exhausted and tired of counting calories. It's been almost 2 years. It's not real fun. The thought right now of lacing up my shoes, or eating clean is like, nooo, eff you!! Uggh, I don't like feeling this way. I need a slap upside the head.
This may or may not be a good fit for you, but there are a few things that I have found helpful.

- If you are tired a lot, make sure your vitamin D has been tested. If it is low, you will stay tired (it is a hormone). It should really be between 50-75, and I take 5000 IUs daily to keep mine there. Many people have a number in the teens or lower especially if they live in a cold climate.

- I count calories, but use a free app called LoseIt! My whole family actually uses it, and it is so easy to put in exercise and what I eat. I use it, vs before when I had to write things out and add them up, and also by even doing a little exercise, it adds calories back in which makes me feel good about myself.

- It is a waste of money, but sometimes when I have bought something I shouldn't have, I eat part of it and then throw the rest in the trash before I can decide not to. It is money spent that I won't get back, but when I think about the money I will have to spend on poor health in the future if I stay unhealthy, I think of it as a "health write off".

At any rate, we all have days we are "bad" - don't get discouraged or use it as an excuse - you can turn things around next week. There always is a next week, and you can turn things around. You are making an effort, which is more than many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss