Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:56 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

I rarely go to restaurants. In any case portion control isn't that big an issue if people get away from this idea that they MUST eat every 4-6 hours and that a 24 hour fast is harmful. It's NOT harmful. You have a big meal, you go longer until the next one. It's not comfortable, and you will feel hungry. Suck it up and live with it. Believe it or not, the best things in life come from periods of discomfort, discipline, and impulse control. If you make impulse control a habit and regularly deny your cravings, in time it becomes easier to do.

Think of it like training a dog, because the part of our brain that has cravings is apart of all mammals, it's the reason dogs beg worse and worse when you give them food while they are begging. That part of their brain learns that it can get what it wants by begging. Give yourself positive reinforcement for denying your cravings.. retrain your animal brain. We have something other mammals don't, the cortex, able to think, recognize our conscious selves, and choose to go against our impulses.. it's a valuable tool... it's also the main reason we are so in conflict with our emotions all the time, which come from the older mammalian brain, not the cortex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Interesting.

The last time I ate out I didn't notice anyone being forced to lick their plate clean. Why is easier to blame someone else than it is to just take control of your own body?

If you can't eat out and leave half the meal, that's your problem and you need to deal with it. Don't blame the restaurant industry because you have no self control.

Not sure where the grocery store fits in your little rant...doesn't matter what size package of food you buy, it's up to YOU to control how much you shove in your face. You can buy a 12 pack of drumsticks ice cream cones, doesn't mean you need to all 12 in one sitting.

The mark up on restaurant food is insane and that's why the portions are so much larger than they used to be right along with the Big American Greed of "I need more!!!!" No, America, you need less.
Exactly my point, and thank for saying it better than I ever could have. I agree with everything you said. I was getting at the point that it's engrained into America to spend more, do more, have bigger, buy more, eat more, make bigger, etc etc....But the consequences are here now. There is more, and then there is too much more. thus, my belief that less doesn't work for most people because they just have been trained to do the opposite.

Thanks again!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:43 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Take half home, or split it with your SO.

Or just cook at home.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-26-2016, 10:55 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Exactly my point, and thank for saying it better than I ever could have. I agree with everything you said. I was getting at the point that it's engrained into America to spend more, do more, have bigger, buy more, eat more, make bigger, etc etc....But the consequences are here now. There is more, and then there is too much more. thus, my belief that less doesn't work for most people because they just have been trained to do the opposite.

Thanks again!
There is research that indicates increased food production is a major contributing factor to the obesity epidemic. You don't see much coverage of this topic by the media, though.

NYT article- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/sc...sity.html?_r=1

an excellent, in-depth article on the subject- Obesity and economic environments - Sturm - 2014 - CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians - Wiley Online Library

Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
We go out to eat maybe twice a month (no fast food ever). I've started asking for a take out box when I order my food. I take at least 1/2 of what they serve and place it in the box immediately when it is served.

What I've found is that I am totally satisfied (more so actually) with 50% of what is served. Most times less than that.

And I do not order any appetizers at all.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:03 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
Mmmmmm leftovers. There is a place that sells mondo burritos here for $6. This thing is the size of one of those vacuum tube containers at the bank. I see people easily downing the whole thing in one sitting, but that's their choice. I get 3-4 meals out of it (without even eating the tortilla). Every time I get Thai or another dish that comes with a boatload of rice, that's another 2-3 meals if you add in fresh fruit. Now I'm not ridiously frugal, but why be wasteful or feel the need to join the clean plate club? There is a happy, healthy medium out there.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:21 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Don't take away my leftovers. They are the best part of going out to eat. Two meals I don't have to prepare...awesome. If you can't control yourself, halve the meal right when you get it. The waiter/waitress will bring you a container or halve it before it comes out.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:31 AM

45 posts, read 83,892 times
Growing up in the 80's we had to clean our plates. That way of eating followed me my entire life and I ended up obese.

I have worked really hard with changing the ways I thought about food. I had to teach myself just because there is food left on my plate or food around (like at a party) doesn't mean I have to eat it.

I've learned to listen to my hunger cues, slow down while chewing and stop eating just before I get full. It was a very hard thing for me to do as someone who ate emotionally and ate everything in front of me. But with hard work I overcame it.

I cook most of my food at home and a lot from scratch, but I went out with my friend the other night. I was able to spread out my main course for 3 meals total. At the restaurant I ate most of the salad, a breadstick, about 1/4 of the entree and we split a dessert and I had enough leftovers for 2 more meals after that. I was so proud of myself as in the past I would have easily eaten the entire meal in one siting.

Portion control may not be realistic for most people as the article says, but if someone really want it (weight loss) they will have to work for it. And I wanted to be normal sized and healthy. For that I needed to watch what and how much I ate so it can be done.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:41 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Personally, I would love to see smaller portions at less cost.

San Francisco would have some stuff, like upscale bakeries, would make delicious sandwiches about 4 inches long, but with all the great ingredients and they would be like 4 dollars.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-29-2016, 11:57 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No one says you have to eat everything on the plate. My husband and I always split our meals when we eat out. I cannot remember the last time we each ordered our own entree. I have gone out with friends and taken half of my meal home.
A little common sense goes a long way.
Not everyone has the same appetite. Big eaters, light eaters, in-between eaters. I can't imagine splitting a meal with anyone. Why would I do that? Might as well just order an appetizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss