Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 12:06 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Not everyone has the same appetite. Big eaters, light eaters, in-between eaters. I can't imagine splitting a meal with anyone. Why would I do that? Might as well just order an appetizer.

Because when you eat out, some plates are like 4000 calories. Neither my husband, nor myself, need that many calories so we have a tendency to split dishes when we can agree on what we want.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:19 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
I rarely go out to eat, but when I do, I always clean my plate. It's not hard to finish an entire meal of sumptuous, good-tasting food, and I relish every last bite. That's part of what makes going out a treat: being able to eat to excess, which is enjoyable. I'm 5'10", 175 pounds, so I don't think my occasional indulgences are something I should stop doing or feel bad about.

Kudos to the people who take half their meal home, but to me, I'm not trying to make some moral statement or make some anti-gluttony statement by showing people how much dietary control I possess. Lol. As if I'm striving to be seen as some morally superior dietary Svengali thumbing his nose at the weak gluttonous masses who give in to their cravings.

Live and let live. Tend your own garden, and let your neighbor worry about his.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I rarely go out to eat, but when I do, I always clean my plate. It's not hard to finish an entire meal of sumptuous, good-tasting food, and I relish every last bite. That's part of what makes going out a treat: being able to eat to excess, which is enjoyable. I'm 5'10", 175 pounds, so I don't think my occasional indulgences are something I should stop doing or feel bad about.

Kudos to the people who take half their meal home, but to me, I'm not trying to make some moral statement or make some anti-gluttony statement by showing people how much dietary control I possess. Lol. As if I'm striving to be seen as some morally superior dietary Svengali thumbing his nose at the weak gluttonous masses who give in to their cravings.

Live and let live. Tend your own garden, and let your neighbor worry about his.
I couldn't care less what others eat, unless it's my own child. ( I don't want her diet to be total junk) halving your meal is not showing moral superiority. It's just planning so that you can eat out more often, without gaining weight. I do feel very good about saving the money on a free second meal, but I feel that way when I eat home cooked leftovers. I get a little thrill from leftovers, LOL.

I actually feel better about my diet when I eat at home, because I know what I'm putting into a meal. I feel bad for people who can't cook.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I couldn't care less what others eat, unless it's my own child. ( I don't want her diet to be total junk) halving your meal is not showing moral superiority. It's just planning so that you can eat out more often, without gaining weight. I do feel very good about saving the money on a free second meal, but I feel that way when I eat home cooked leftovers. I get a little thrill from leftovers, LOL.

I actually feel better about my diet when I eat at home, because I know what I'm putting into a meal. I feel bad for people who can't cook.
I prefer eating at home as well. I have more control over what I eat. 90% of the time I follow a regimented way of eating, and I also follow a fairly rigorous workout schedule, so I look forward to my occasional dietary excursions.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I rarely go out, but when I do, I rarely return without a doggie bag.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:19 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Our gigantic problem with portions: why are we all eating too much? | Life and style | The Guardian

Read that article. I have to say, it plainly goes against everything a growing economy is rooted in. Portions got larger because restaurant prices needed to go up to gain profits. People are trained to eat it all, so wa-la, everyone is bigger.

A reduction in portion size at restaurants. Wal mart and large chain grocers don't make money on tiny portions that the general public wouldn't buy for that price, so they add to the size, and then slightly increase the price. Then, sizes drop again, slightly, prices hold, then lo and behold, new and larger sizes, and another price increase.

If consumption slows down or stops, recession. Retailer or restaurant goes out of business. Portion control is not possible.

I'm not going to go to a restaurant, pay a hefty price, and throw away half of it. So, my answer is just to not go to restaurants. Make your grocery trip count, buy what's needed for your time frame required, and then don't purchase anymore food.

By paying close attention to portions and rarely eating at a restaurant I have managed to lose 15 pounds without doing any exercise other than a short walk with the dog at night and some swimming a few days a week. I gave up my one Coke a day (240 calories) and only have a dessert one day a week. No sugars and very little carbs. I have not felt deprived; actually the less I eat the less I feel I need to eat. Do our stomachs actually shrink?

It's taken me 6 months but when you lose the weight slowly it's easier to keep it off. I think a lot of people would be shocked at what a true serving is and what they actually put on the plate.

It's scary when you go to the beach and see kids under 10 years old who already have bellies hanging over their bathing suits.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:22 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Of course I don't think of Wal Mart as a restaurant.

Snippy bunch today.

My point of bringing them up is to illustrate the challenge for the unwashed MASSES, who don't frequent C-D and have perfect bodies, minds, and disciplines. The way to deal with a national epidemic of fatness is not going to work, because economy will contract, and businesses in food and food service will shrink. Further, the care for obesity would no longer be as necessary, nor the treatments for diabetes and all the other health ailments that being portly causes. What of the fitness clubs? If people didn't see themselves as needing to lose weight or improve their body, there would be far less.

Big picture: making America fat is big business. portion control, if actually done, would kill multiple industries.

Same thing regarding cancer. "Finding a cure for cancer would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. But remember that not finding it is how doctors butter their bread".

Old 05-06-2016, 10:00 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I go out to lunch every so often and the portions are about right. It's dinner where they really load the food on. For dinner out, the food is often piled so high on a huge plate that it practically kills my appetite. I eat what I can and take the rest home.

If I have dessert, it's usually so big that I split it with the other person. The restaurant will always bring two forks. (All I really wanted was a small slice of cake but you'll still end up paying for the entire oversized portion.)

The portion sizes are out of control and I think it's so that they can charge more money. It used to be that if I ordered a slice of cake, I would get a slice of cake--now it's a HUGE hunk of cake and it has ice cream, whipped cream, fruit, chocolate syrup, etc. And if you ask to NOT have the ice cream and whipped cream, etc. you're still charged for them! The psychology seems to be that since you're paying for it anyway, you want to get your money's worth--which is why I now order it and split it.

Same reason I don't go to buffets. I end up paying for way more than I want to eat--and I can't split it.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:36 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I rarely eat-out, so I can pretty much make a calorie-appropriate meal each and every time......not saying I do though.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No one says you have to eat everything on the plate. My husband and I always split our meals when we eat out. I cannot remember the last time we each ordered our own entree. I have gone out with friends and taken half of my meal home.
A little common sense goes a long way.
Not everyone has the same appetite though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss