Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:38 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post

Big picture: making America fat is big business. portion control, if actually done, would kill multiple industries.
Baloney! Hogwash!

Business or society isnt making people fat, its individual people making poor decisions in combination with ignorance about nutrition is whats making them fat. Not restaurant portion size, not society, no big business....etc. Its the individual person making poor choices is what is making people fat. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 11:59 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Americans EAT TOO MUCH.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I rarely go to restaurants. In any case portion control isn't that big an issue if people get away from this idea that they MUST eat every 4-6 hours and that a 24 hour fast is harmful. It's NOT harmful. You have a big meal, you go longer until the next one. It's not comfortable, and you will feel hungry. Suck it up and live with it. Believe it or not, the best things in life come from periods of discomfort, discipline, and impulse control. If you make impulse control a habit and regularly deny your cravings, in time it becomes easier to do.

Think of it like training a dog, because the part of our brain that has cravings is apart of all mammals, it's the reason dogs beg worse and worse when you give them food while they are begging. That part of their brain learns that it can get what it wants by begging. Give yourself positive reinforcement for denying your cravings.. retrain your animal brain. We have something other mammals don't, the cortex, able to think, recognize our conscious selves, and choose to go against our impulses.. it's a valuable tool... it's also the main reason we are so in conflict with our emotions all the time, which come from the older mammalian brain, not the cortex.
I have to say, I think eating more frequently and tiny portions can be good..I mean TINY portions, like 2-3 almonds an hour or 1/3 a banana every two hours. I think portion control is huge, and I actually lost a lot of weight with this approach without being hungry or weak.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Not everyone has the same appetite though.
Well, there is your problem right there. Calories count. A big appetite will result in a big body.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:48 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
We went up to NY for our daughter's wedding. Night before the wedding she and her wife (Puerto Rican) suggested we all eat at a local Dominican Restaurant.

I looked at the size of the platters of other diners, and thought not happening with me unless I share. I did with my husband (200+ lbs.), as she did with her wife.

When we placed our orders, the waiter did not blink an eye at our sharing. "People do all the time here." Full size Salad, half a chicken, rice, beans, plantains for ONE person? That is typical one person dinner? We even split dessert which was a good 6 inches for a piece of Flan. Absolutely Delish and Economical Dinner.

The portions at most restaurants are WAY too much, and they do not like 2 people sharing. Lose money on that. I love restaurants which allow sharing, or have HALF PORTIONS on the Menu.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Well, there is your problem right there. Calories count. A big appetite will result in a big body.
Not always; in fact, maybe not even a majority of the time. People vary greatly in their physical and physiological makeup, not to mention in their exercise and lifestyle habits, so saying that a big appetite equates to a big body is a generalization. Many variables exist that could render that assertion false or inaccurate.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:24 PM

39 posts, read 101,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Americans EAT TOO MUCH.
You know, its comments like that that make me enjoy eating.

UGH

Old 07-21-2016, 04:25 PM

39 posts, read 101,803 times
Also if you're bigger, you just simply need to eat more to maintain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss