Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 09:44 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband's 3 big food obsessions are Pasta, Breads, and Nuts. I am of Italian heritage. Pasta is a side dish from my culture. Seriously. Breads? While Whole Grains are better than Wonder Bread, ALL grains are fattening especially with piles of butter. Add Nuts to that list also. "Healthy" does not equal Diet necessarily.

I like cooking. Not cook for him? Well, we live in the same house and I still need to eat for myself. Leave the cooking up to him and it would be PASTA or baked meats and canned veggies. YUCK from me. Want me to lose even more weight with his gross dinners?
First the nuts need to go. They are extremely addictive and full of fat. Don't buy them. Second maybe let him cook his own meals LOL

I don't believe people need to stop eating bread or pasta. Some of us cannot live on meat and salads alone. I don't like meats or fruits that much and I am not gonna waste my calories on things that don't satisfy my hunger. Bread, rice and pasta don't make people fat, it's the portion size what makes people fat. It's eating 2 or 3 cups of pasta and adding 3 or 4 tbs of butter plus loads of cheese, plus oversized portions of meat.

The American Diabetes Association and many other nutritional brochures have guidelines for serving sizes. If you notice the serving sizes are small. 1/2 of cooked pasta is a serving size, 1/3 of a cup of rice is a serving size, 1 slice of bread is one serving size. Grains usually have both carbs and proteins. How many servings your husband needs? I don't know, see a nutritionist probably 2 or 3 for lunch/dinner depending on his height.

http://glycemic.com/DiabeticExchange...nge%20List.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 05:16 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,092 times
No way would I stop cooking and let him deal with his own food. If he sits around on the couch all day, there is no way he's suddenly going to become the Galloping Gourmet. He'll either get out a deep fryer or get take out or fast food all the time.

Instead, I would show him the recipes, what a portion size for the recipes are, and their calorie counts. How much he eats is up to him. I would also not let him lie to me. He might be in denial to himself, but I wouldn't let him be in denial to me or blame me. You might need to do some "tough love" if he keeps lying to you.

I would also suggest going for walks with him after dinner every night. He needs to get moving.

A FitBit like someone said is a good idea.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:31 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
No, not all grains are fattening. Processed grains that have had the bran removed when served with high fat sauces and meats are fattening. Whole grains without high fat additions are health and healthy weight
promoting.

I can pretty much guarantee your husband's weight gain does not come from eating plain whole grain pasta without sauce or whole grain bread plain by itself without added butter or other sources of fat.
All modern wheat is deleterious to health, "whole wheat" actually has a very high glycemic value, higher than cake, and raises blood sugar values higher. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and causes all kinds of negative health implications, especially for those that think, eat, and consume wheat all day, every day. Here in the US, your best options are a Mediterranean diet or modified paleo diet.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:15 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
All modern wheat is deleterious to health, "whole wheat" actually has a very high glycemic value, higher than cake, and raises blood sugar values higher. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and causes all kinds of negative health implications, especially for those that think, eat, and consume wheat all day, every day. Here in the US, your best options are a Mediterranean diet or modified paleo diet.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:42 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
I would show him the recipes, what a portion size for the recipes are, and their calorie counts. How much he eats is up to him.

A FitBit like someone said is a good idea.
A FitBit, or using a tracking app like My Fitness Pal might be a motivator. A lot of men of a certain age aren't used to counting calories. My dad, when we were at an Olive Garden (not my choice, but that's beside the point) would generally get some kind of Alfredo-slathered monstrosity. When they started putting nutrition info on the menu and he saw in black and white how much fat and calories he'd be eating, began making different choices.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
First the nuts need to go. They are extremely addictive and full of fat. Don't buy them.
There is a good amount of research showing that people who consume nuts are generally slimmer than their non-nut eating counterparts.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Wrong.

Glycemic load is what is important in terms of metabolic effects. The glycemic load of whole wheat is 7-9. The glycemic load of sprouted wheat is 0.5. The glycemic load of cake is 17-24.

Modern whole wheat has been shown to improve health.

The Mediterranean Diet has a pretty significant amount of wheat in the form of bread, pasta, couscous, and cereals.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:25 PM

Additionally, wheat is not addictive.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Wrong.

Glycemic load is what is important in terms of metabolic effects. The glycemic load of whole wheat is 7-9. The glycemic load of sprouted wheat is 0.5. The glycemic load of cake is 17-24.

Modern whole wheat has been shown to improve health.

The Mediterranean Diet has a pretty significant amount of wheat in the form of bread, pasta, couscous, and cereals.
Modern wheat is very deleterious to health, it has nothing in common with wheat consumed 50 years ago and is in a large percentage of processed foods. The percentage of the population of the US that is obese or overweight is around 70%. That figure would be much less if the populace stopped consumption of modern wheat.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Additionally, wheat is not addictive.
Right, that is why many people are hungry two hours after eating a meal filled with wheat and why snacking is a prevalent part of US culture that was non-existent 30-40 years ago before the advent of modern wheat into our food supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss