Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:57 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,236,192 times

Advertisements

Very low carb, high fat can really break the cycle. Think Atkins. You could also try something like Overeaters Anonymous "Grey Sheet".

For some people carbs keep them addicted, sounds like your issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 02:15 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,503,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Very low carb, high fat can really break the cycle. Think Atkins. You could also try something like Overeaters Anonymous "Grey Sheet".

What I'm about to share isn't necessarily healthy, but it showed me the difference between (empty) carbs and protein / fat and satiation.

Long ago, (when I was young and not so wise) I would take a box of Cheezits to work almost every day (and I did share them too) - but that would be my breakfast. Then somehow I heard or learned about protein / fat and decided to do an 'experiment'. So instead of grabbing a box of Cheezits, I stopped at McDonald's and got 2 McMuffins and made one "double-double" out of it. So I had (likely low quality) protein and fats and I cut the bread in half (so to speak). I could not believe that that kept me 'satisfied' until just about lunchtime. I was rather shocked.

Later, I would try to add 'veggies' to lunch or afternoon snack - and I was most successful in choosing those I really liked - whether they may be high calorie or high sugar or whatever - I chose the ones I LIKED MOST. (Avocados, strawberries, pinenuts, etc)

Then, later as I tried to do more to improve my diet, I would go to a nice deli (at a nice grocery store) for lunch and I'd get a quarter pound of one of the ($10+ per pound) meats or grilled salmon, and a cup of their soup or something to go with it. Those lunches were still under $10.

It is hard to "think outside the box" - but it's very worth it, and can even be delicious.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:57 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,627,441 times
Don't keep junk in the house, find a way of eating that truly makes you feel healthy, consider counting calories...some people have to do it in order to lose weight.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,557 times
In addition to the very good advices already given here: don't be afraid or ashamed to take gradual steps towards a healthy diet. Cold-turkey works for some, not for others. Also, and I say this many times in other threads as well, a healthy diet can still include the junk foods that you love, especially if you learn to make them yourself with the right ingredients. But this is a learning process and you should allow yourself to take your time for it. About discipline: few humans can maintain discipline when they are starving so don't punish yourself for that either. Take it slowly. Trying out vegetables is a very good start.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:56 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,912,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

How about listing what you think high carb foods are?

Old 11-16-2016, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,841 times
Default healthy eating program

To achieve a healthy eating lifestyle you must be more confident and determined as it is not an easy task. Eating once a day will cause many other health problems. It is better to have healthy food 5 times a day with less quantity.

It would be better if you consult a good dietitian or nutritionist as they could guide you on proper eating practices. There are many healthy eating programs conducted and it would be greatly beneficial for you. My elder brother who is in 50's is under 20/20 healthy eating programs for men in Toronto. He too had unhealthy eating habits but later made the decision to lose his weight because of health issues. If you need to live a long healthy life you should push yourself.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:33 PM

505 posts, read 584,967 times
Check out the book, The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. Chromium, magnesium and DLPA stop my sugar cravings when I get to them in time.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:53 PM

15,947 posts, read 12,302,396 times
Try using mindfulness.. your urge to eat the same foods is based on habit... if you acknowledge your craving, don't fight with it, just let it be without acting on it, use your conscious mind to just observe it... and then continue to eat your healthy diet. Any time you try to "fight" emotions or cravings you just add fuel to the fire. Better to let them be but choose differently...

Old 11-21-2016, 08:46 PM

21,870 posts, read 25,187,651 times
I don't let it in the house. If there's no orange juice (I like orange juice), I won't drink orange juice. If there's no ice cream, I won't eat ice cream. If there is ice cream, I WILL eat it. I'm not a moderation person. If it's in fridge/freezer/pantry, I will eat it. Much easier to moderate once a week for the 30 minutes I'm in a grocery store than all week, so that's what I do. I'm also lazy. If there's no ice cream, I won't go out of the house to get it.

Also, sounds dorky, but food diary. Life's busy and it's pretty easy to forget about that pastry you just couldn't pass up when you got coffee in the morning, the bag of Fritos corn chips you gassed up the car, the couple trips to the vending machine you made while at work. If you actually write down EVERYTHING you eat, then stare at it at the end of the week you'd probably be surprised how much junk sneaks in while you thought you were being good. Those were almost thoughtless impulses for me. It's just one pastry, bag of chips, bag of M&Ms, ice cream/frozen yogurt when out with my niece/nephew... except it wasn't. Worst thing for me now when I decide I'm gaining too much weight is beer. I'm perfectly happy having a beer with lunch, one or two beers with dinner basically seven days a week. The only time beer doesn't sound good is breakfast. And it's all craft beers, often heavier stouts. I'm like the person who can't figure out why I'm gaining all this weight getting a venti frappucino of beer every day. Basically, whenever I need to go on a diet it's really easy. I stop drinking and there goes an easy 500 calories a day EASY. It's like a soda addict who puts down the soda, given beer has the benefit of being less accessible and more socially stigmatized.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-21-2016 at 09:04 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 09:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,715,129 times
I am revamping my diet plan now. I started writing down everything that went in my mouth 2 weeks ago. Then last week I told myself I will fix my lunch by making healthy lunch. I woke up Monday morning 1hrr early and made boiled egg, chickpea salad and packed fruit. I did good with my lunch entire week but I ate bad food for dinner. I didn't even realize it until I sat down today to review everything I ate last week. I am super disappointed in myself. So this week, I am tracking my food and trying to remind myself not lose track
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss