Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:17 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,511 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am just coming of a long winded weight loss program. At the moment I am 173 pounds (at 5'9 male), my weight was around 195 pounds 3 months ago so I have clearly lost a reasonable amount of weight.

I've noticed though that since reaching about 175 pounds it is much harder for my body to retain a consistent weight, I seem to go between 170 pounds and 175 pounds and now it is a great challenge for me to get my weight down. (I should say that before my weight loss program my weight was consistent and didn't change.)

I have been off working out for 4 days and I notice now that my weight is increasing. I haven't changed my diet so clearly lack of exercise is influencing this. I know this because I tried a weight loss program before that was based entirely on dieting and it didn't produce decent results for me at all.

Further to this is the issue of my belly.. at the moment I have a small 'pot belly' that is stubborn and refuses to go. I am now down to a bmi of 25.1 which is near the healthy rate. I am concerned that I am not going to be able to get rid of this belly, I am aiming to go down to 165 pounds but i'm not confident that the belly would go as that is where all my weight gathers. If my belly is still visibly larger even after losing all that weight then I don't know what esle I could do to lose it...

The only thing that seems to work for me is intense cardio... but this is something that I don't want to keep doing on a consistent basis as it is draining and not something that I savor. I partake in weight training but i'm not even sure if that is helping and it's more of an experiment to be honest.

I enjoy eating sweets/deserts/savory food and I don't know how i'm going to keep up with this weight loss if my body cannot even cope with a simple slice of cake. (My weight responds very quickly to anything that has a high volume of calories - yet falls rapidly if I eat low calories)

How can I eat fatty foods at low volumes and still retain my weight level? What can be done about this belly that refuses to decrease in size?

Last edited by GymFanatic; 11-11-2016 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 10:54 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
So you want to eat what you like but not exercise. Sorry, but sacrifice is needed in order to maintain a healthy weight. So pick one. Eat the cake but then go hard at the gym. Or forgo the cake and ease up on your workout.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:50 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,181,646 times
The only way to lose fat is lose fat, so that's how to do it. BMI is okay as a gross estimate but really what matters is body fat. If you put on 10 pounds of muscle and lose 10 pounds of fat, your BMI will not change. Composition and body image, however, most definitely will. Likewise, BMI does not account for body type. At 5'9" 180 is about my floor for ideal weight. Anything in the 180-190 range is what I'd shoot for. I've been down at 165-170. It's not a good look, and I was weaker than I am now despite only sporadically working out today and working out 6-7 days a week then. Note quite Tour De France rider but not far off it.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The only way to lose fat is lose fat, so that's how to do it. BMI is okay as a gross estimate but really what matters is body fat. If you put on 10 pounds of muscle and lose 10 pounds of fat, your BMI will not change. Composition and body image, however, most definitely will. Likewise, BMI does not account for body type. At 5'9" 180 is about my floor for ideal weight. Anything in the 180-190 range is what I'd shoot for. I've been down at 165-170. It's not a good look, and I was weaker than I am now despite only sporadically working out today and working out 6-7 days a week then. Note quite Tour De France rider but not far off it.
Really? I was that weight and looked quite fat/heavy, I don't think I could go back to that weight. To look good at that weight you would definitely need a high amount of muscle.

I'm certainly working on building my muscle but it's not at high levels yet. I think my bodyfat percentage is at 18%. But as I said earlier I have a poor metabolism so that can change frequently.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:10 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,471 times
Belly fat comes from fast carbohydrates and alcohol that the body can't process fast enough so it dumps it there. It is the unhealthiest kind of fat I think. Do you drink a lot of alcohol or eat a lot of pastries or white grains? That could be an explanation for not losing your belly fat despite losing the rest. Well, I read you like your desserts and such so I'm not surprised.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:11 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,756,373 times
duh

Old 11-12-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Belly fat comes from fast carbohydrates and alcohol that the body can't process fast enough so it dumps it there. It is the unhealthiest kind of fat I think. Do you drink a lot of alcohol or eat a lot of pastries or white grains? That could be an explanation for not losing your belly fat despite losing the rest. Well, I read you like your desserts and such so I'm not surprised.
Everyone is individual where they gain weight regardless of what they eat. I could eat carbs all day and it will still go to my ass.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:11 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Hi, I am just coming of a long winded weight loss program. At the moment I am 173 pounds (at 5'9 male), my weight was around 195 pounds 3 months ago so I have clearly lost a reasonable amount of weight.

I've noticed though that since reaching about 175 pounds it is much harder for my body to retain a consistent weight, I seem to go between 170 pounds and 175 pounds and now it is a great challenge for me to get my weight down. (I should say that before my weight loss program my weight was consistent and didn't change.)

I have been off working out for 4 days and I notice now that my weight is increasing. I haven't changed my diet so clearly lack of exercise is influencing this. I know this because I tried a weight loss program before that was based entirely on dieting and it didn't produce decent results for me at all.

Further to this is the issue of my belly.. at the moment I have a small 'pot belly' that is stubborn and refuses to go. I am now down to a bmi of 25.1 which is near the healthy rate.

How can I eat fatty foods at low volumes and still retain my weight level? What can be done about this belly that refuses to decrease in size?
Why would a dude want to continue losing weight at 5' 9" and 175lbs? I am just over six feet tall and fluctuate between 172 and 176. I think your focus should now be on reducing BODY FAT PERCENTAGE instead of weight at this point. You also need to make smarter choices on your nutritional intake because right now, based on what you wrote in your post, its obvious that improvement needs to be made in that area if you want to reach your health/fitness goals.

Also, eliminate any reference or thought to BMI. Its bogus. Useless. Its junk. Never bring it up again in any post or discussing you ever have relating to YOUR weight/health/fitness level. Its baloney. Its hogwash. Focus instead on your performance (i.e., 5k run times, max weight lifted, etc.) and body fat percentage.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:10 PM

My weight gathers on my stomach. At 173 pounds I have a bulging stomach that has to go.

I am going to take my weight down to 165 pounds and leave it there.. The problem as described above is to do with my poor metabolism and the fact that my weight goes up if I don't keep an eye on it.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
My weight gathers on my stomach. At 173 pounds I have a bulging stomach that has to go.

I am going to take my weight down to 165 pounds and leave it there.. The problem as described above is to do with my poor metabolism and the fact that my weight goes up if I don't keep an eye on it.
I think you are normal and there is nothing wrong with your metabolism, unless of course you have a thyroid disorder. I think you need to come to terms that maintaining a certain weight for most people is still being conscience of what we eat and exercising regularly.
Eat at a calorie deficit and work out to lose weight. Increase calories slightly and still work out to maintain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss