Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:15 PM

22,026 posts, read 25,384,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikelysuspect View Post
After trying to, sometimes successfully and unsuccessfully, control my weight and lose weight, I think I have come to a new understanding.

There is an article in February 2017 Scientific American about how and why you can't "burn it off". The human body is not set up that way.

I can't just "burn it off" after eating a few of my Mom's cookies, by going out and walking 6-10 miles. With that erroneous reasoning, I gained 3 pounds with each visit to her! Why? I would ask myself. How can that be? I puzzled.

(Drum roll please.....) It's calorie restriction that effects weight loss and weight control, not physical work. Ta Dah! Although excercize is enormously important to health and wellness, you don't lose weight from exercise. It doesn't even keep you from gaining weight.

Since I have consciously embraced this logic: restricted calories, while still exercising for fitness, I have lost 6 pounds. OMG!

READ IT!!!
That's a lot of cookies. I don't think I could eat 10,000 calories of cookies very quickly, and I do like cookies. Must be long visits. And no, you can't burn off 10,000 calories walking 6-10 miles so that's not surprising. Try walking 100 miles next time you eat 10,000 calories of cookies on top of what you normally eat. That might sound like a lot, and it is, but since we're talking about visits that are probably around 10 days, it's only 10 miles a day. That's doable but also a demonstration of how it's easier to just not eat 1,000 calories of cookies a day than it is to walk them off once you have. Out running an out-of-control fork is an exercise in futility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 04:16 AM

9,024 posts, read 13,901,794 times
You ever see those skinny women with tons of flab?

Keep thinking you can lose weight AND look good without exercise.

Obese people who exercise look better than skinny people who don't iMO.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,768,592 times
we know.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You ever see those skinny women with tons of flab?

Keep thinking you can lose weight AND look good without exercise.

Obese people who exercise look better than skinny people who don't iMO.
Not really.

The only way you can really be skinny with a ton of flab is if you were morbidly obese and stretched your skin out and then lose the weight. You'll get left with a bunch of flabby, flappy excess skin then but working out won't help that. Gotta go under the knife. If by flab you mean fat, that's mutually exclusive to have tons of fat and be skinny. Can't happen.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 PM

9,024 posts, read 13,901,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really.

The only way you can really be skinny with a ton of flab is if you were morbidly obese and stretched your skin out and then lose the weight. You'll get left with a bunch of flabby, flappy excess skin then but working out won't help that. Gotta go under the knife. If by flab you mean fat, that's mutually exclusive to have tons of fat and be skinny. Can't happen.
Yes it can.

A skinny person could have 30% body fat while an obese person could have 25% body fat.

Crash diets could leave someone with excess fat and little lean weight because the body catabolized the muscle aka protein instead of the fat.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes it can.

A skinny person could have 30% body fat while an obese person could have 25% body fat.

Crash diets could leave someone with excess fat and little lean weight because the body catabolized the muscle aka protein instead of the fat.
That's a seriously warped definition of skinny. It's not a technical term, however, so if you want to use skinny to describe obese (male) or borderline obese (female) I suppose you can do so. I call obese people obese.

BMI is a proxy for obesity. It cannot be used to diagnose obesity in an individual, but it's reasonably correlated such that as a tool for looking at populations it is helpful. At least that is how it works in this country. CDC, AMA, etc do not accept BMI for diagnosing obesity. It's simply an initial screening tool. Someone with pretty severe muscle atrophy (say a quadriplegic) is not going to be well-represented by a table meant to fit the general populous just as pro-athletes often are not. Madison Bumgarner, for example, is very, very close to obese by BMI. And while there's certainly some fatties in baseball, he is not. LeBron James is likewise solidly fat by BMI. It's a useful tool for looking at populations and as an initial screening but nothing more.

The only way I'm going to get down to the bottom end of "normal" is if they start chopping off limbs. I've definitely been skinny (clearly defined ribs, dealing issues of being underweight) back when I was running distance/cycling semi-competitively. Not quite Bradley Wiggins (supposedly 4% body fat at 6'3", 153 race weight -- and a healthy BMI) but I do not have that body type. Gonna need to cut off some limbs to get me down to 125, 126 being a "healthy" weight for my height.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 PM

22,699 posts, read 24,748,611 times
Yeah, I could eat 3 hours of exercise in about 10 minutes.

I exercise for a couple of minutes a day, in-order to build/maintain strength and endurance......not to burn calories.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:28 PM

4,860 posts, read 3,677,300 times
You can't outrun a bad diet is an old saying and still relevant and true.

People go to the gym and slave and work out and sweat and then go home and eat carbs and think nothing of it thinking that their workout negates those sugar laden goodies.

Give up the carbs, limit them to 20g or so a day and see what happens.

Good documentary is "That Sugar Film" ....

Old 04-04-2017, 09:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

People go to the gym and slave and work out and sweat and then go home and eat carbs and think nothing of it thinking that their workout negates those sugar laden goodies.

Please specify what type of carbs, because all carbs are not bad. When you make blanket statements about carbs you confuse people and make yourself sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you know what you are talking about?

Old 04-04-2017, 02:51 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,583,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, I could eat 3 hours of exercise in about 10 minutes.

I exercise for a couple of minutes a day, in-order to build/maintain strength and endurance......not to burn calories.
If you truly exercise only a "couple of minutes a day" you are neither building strength nor endurance. Actually I go to the gym to burn calories and build strength and endurance. It's a no-brainer that you can easily outeat your work at the gym. Most people who are serious about fitness are also serious about their diets and wouldn't negate their hard work by consistently overeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

I agree with Lucky. Please stop with this carbs thing. It's good that you are doing low carb, but let's not make such blanket statements. You can negate your workout by overeating. The saying is "consuming more than you burn".

After my 1.5 hr evening workout, I eat a BALANCED dinner (i.e. yesterday I had a med sweet potato, 4.5 oz chicken, 1/2 cup of carrots). I followed it up with a frozen dessert. and gained not a darn thing. People who are serious about their bodies won't follow up a workout with soda or a cinnabon. All carbs are not the same, and even the "bad" ones have their place in moderation.

Minimizing exercise is unwise. In addition to helping me lose weight, exercise is great for your heart. my pulse went from the high side of normal to 50-55 bpm. Being fit, not just thin, is what matters to me. If people want real results and truly look and feel good, eat right and move more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss