Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 AM

77 posts, read 103,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I have thought about that too.. Like it takes 2 hours to burn off 1 cookie with exercise for example, but if you don't eat that cookie, you wont have to do that 2 hours of exercise. just don't eat the cookie and you will have saved 200 calories and it was easy!
No, ChicagoMeO, What you are saying is exactly what I thought until I read the article! A group of scientist studied tribes all over the world, and also people who live a more modern life. They found that human women burn 1900 calories per day and human men 2600 calories per day--no matter what. It comes down to a very simple thing: if you eat above that number, you will gain. If you eat below that amount, you will lose--no matter where you live, what you eat, how much you exercise. It's wired into human beings for survival. You can't burn a cookie off.

Now, going back to my Mom, who told me when I was a kid that "it takes a five mile walk to burn off a candy bar," I believed her. She's 95 and I still believed her when she says "have a cookie, then take a walk. You'll burn it off" But, this revelation I had after reading the article in Scientific American was written with new data, so when people say it's obvious to them, it's not, because the study was just completed. None of us are scientists, we' re just everyday folks. But we believe so strongly that you can "burn it off" because people we think are sensible and knowledgeable have influenced us. Well it's not true that you can "burn it off".

The value of exercise is a separate issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 03:22 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,858,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikelysuspect View Post
No, ChicagoMeO, What you are saying is exactly what I thought until I read the article! A group of scientist studied tribes all over the world, and also people who live a more modern life. They found that human women burn 1900 calories per day and human men 2600 calories per day--no matter what. It comes down to a very simple thing: if you eat above that number, you will gain. If you eat below that amount, you will lose--no matter where you live, what you eat, how much you exercise. It's wired into human beings for survival. You can't burn a cookie off.

Now, going back to my Mom, who told me when I was a kid that "it takes a five mile walk to burn off a candy bar," I believed her. She's 95 and I still believed her when she says "have a cookie, then take a walk. You'll burn it off" But, this revelation I had after reading the article in Scientific American was written with new data, so when people say it's obvious to them, it's not, because the study was just completed. None of us are scientists, we' re just everyday folks. But we believe so strongly that you can "burn it off" because people we think are sensible and knowledgeable have influenced us. Well it's not true that you can "burn it off".

Could you please provide the link to the article. I would be very interested to read it. I did look for it but I could not find anything that jibes with what you are saying.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Could you please provide the link to the article. I would be very interested to read it. I did look for it but I could not find anything that jibes with what you are saying.
Lucky, Here is a link to the magazine:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/m...sa/2017/02-01/

I bought the magazine from a new stand, and have since lended it to someone to read "on the plane". I'm anxious to get it back. This is the way SA offers the article. I'm seriously not selling magazines, Lol. It's 7 bucks!

Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,858,382 times
Thanks for the link, unfortunately I have to purchase it in order to read it.
I hate to think this article will keep people from exercising since it seems to allude to that it does no good for losing weight.
Exercise is so much more than a vehicle for calorie burning. It s just about the best thing one can do for themselves regardless what they may weigh.
I also believe, but perhaps I now wrong that exercise does burn calories and can help keep the one's calories at a deficit if they are following a diet.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:07 PM

22,014 posts, read 25,372,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikelysuspect View Post

Yeah, that's not what they found.

Since you can't burn off a cookie though, I have an experiment for you. Keep everything in your life constant and just do two things. 1) Eat a cookie every day. 2) Walk or run at least ten miles every day. Since you think you cannot burn a cookie, your hypothesis is that you will gain weight. Say a Subway chocolate chip cookie. That's got 220 calories. Since those calories cannot be burned you should gain almost two pounds in a month. Get back to me on how much you weigh after eating 31 cookies and walking/running 310 miles.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:13 PM

22,014 posts, read 25,372,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Thanks for the link, unfortunately I have to purchase it in order to read it.
I hate to think this article will keep people from exercising since it seems to allude to that it does no good for losing weight.
Exercise is so much more than a vehicle for calorie burning. It s just about the best thing one can do for themselves regardless what they may weigh.
I also believe, but perhaps I now wrong that exercise does burn calories and can help keep the one's calories at a deficit if they are following a diet.
I doubt it. It just says, from one sentence blurb, that "exercise alone won't shed pounds." Basically that's not surprising to anyone who knows anything about exercise and eating. That you can't shed pounds by shoveling as much food as you want into your face isn't news to anyone. Probably just the normal can't outrun your fork but that won't sell a $7 magazine.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:45 PM

What the article says is that the research shows that it is "counterintuitive" to the way people have always thought about weight loss. It also says that exercise (which is very important to health, by the way, no one disputes that) is NOT one of the components, at all, for bringing that number on the scale DOWN. It is calorie restriction that brings that number DOWN. Keeping your total calories under 1900 per day for women or 2600 calories per day for men.

Malloric, I'm using the cookie illustration for just that, as an illustration.

Another thing that is not disputed is the quality of calories that are consumed--cookies vs. vegetables, for example. But the article is talking about TOTAL calories being the source for weight gain or loss. You can gain weight on vegetables, just eat more than 1900/2600 per day.

I don't care if anyone reads or buys the magazine, I just want to share that this is really radically different than anything that I have heard. I may not be scientific, but I'm a reasonably intelligent, well read person and it's news to me that you "can't burn it off", having heard that my entire life. Lucky, your sentence saying "you can't shed pounds by shoveling as much food as you want into your face...." is insulting and dismissive.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,575,132 times
Everything you read is correct. However, technically, you can burn it off. The problem is that it would take an exorbitant amount of exercise. For instance, the folks on The Biggest Loser have what they call their daily burn. They are required to burn 5k -10k calories via exercise per day. That's over 6 hours a day. It's not practical or efficient for regular people.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 PM

37,293 posts, read 41,539,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Everything you read is correct. However, technically, you can burn it off. The problem is that it would take an exorbitant amount of exercise. For instance, the folks on The Biggest Loser have what they call their daily burn. They are required to burn 5k -10k calories via exercise per day. That's over 6 hours a day. It's not practical or efficient for regular people.
This is it in a nutshell.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:48 PM

So, all of the calculations that "they" have done on every single body movement you do through out the day and their equivalent calorie burn per hour is BS. "walking up stairs" vs. "walking on flat surface" for so many minutes out of an hour, is BS. Although the health benefits are completely something different, but the actually amount if calories you burn for doing that is BS. You burn nothing. It's life impacting for those of us that believe it, faithfully logged in and kept that data--for years, like it meant something. B....S.......I am stunned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss